Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er build help.
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

I've got a scandal 29er frame I want to build up to a light 29er race bike.

I'm currently thinking dt swiss xmc 100 29er forks or reba 29er forks. Are there any others I should consider?

I also thinking of a notubes wheelset. Arch or 355 rims on American Classic hubs.

Any thoughts on these would be great.

rOcKeTdOg

rebas are less than half the price than the DTs, are they that much better?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

manitou minute 29er? dunno how light they are really, but they are nice…

stans rims build good wheels too.

TooTall
    Free Member

Are American Classic that much lighter hubs than Hopes? The Hope Hoops ready built onto Arch or Flow might be a good choice (unless you are a big bloke and want to run tyres over 38 psi).

29erKeith
    Free Member

are hope doing 29er rims now?
    Didn't think they were

JustRidingAlong have Arch on hope hubs on the shelf though (£400 I think)

I emailed wheelpro about doing 355 29er on hopes to but got no response 🙁

I'm planning a similar 29er (niner Air9) build for next month too
    I'm thinking Reba Team

Buzzard
    Free Member

Hi All,

I'm building up a salsa mamasita next month and have been working through the same issues. I think Ive decided to go Reba Teams (100mm even though the Mama is meant for 80mm) with Arch rims on Hopes with Sapim spokes if U can get them built (durability being a key factor when reading the reviews on MTBR in respect of AC hubs and 355's), XO running gear, some KCNC bling and some lightweight tires. All in, I'm hoping to hit a sub 23.5lbs target. Should be achievable but still deciding on the brakes.

I guess it depends on your definition of "light"

oddjob
    Free Member

Running Ribas on my Mamasita with 80mm travel. Best mountain bike I have ever had, I absolutely love it.
    Unfortunately it is out of order at the moment awaiting funds for a new back wheel 🙁
    Planning on getting the XT ones from CRC…

TooTall
    Free Member

My bad on the Hope Hoops. I just e-mailed them and they tell me they don't do them as 29ers – but they do road wheel builds. No information on future plans.

Hey – here is a possible revenue stream for Hope – combine the road wheel stuff with the 26er mountain bike stuff and produce 29er mountain bike wheels – wouldn't that be a revolution?!

Probably not – it seems to make sense – probably corner a large part of the 29er wheel market – nah – that wouldn't make financial sense. Would it?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

thanks guys.

I think the rebas are the best bet too. Although the DT forks do like the business.

I also think the Arch Rims on Hope hubs is also the way to go.

Clink

I would question if you need sus forks. Carbon forks on a 29er are light and work very well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29er build help.’ is closed to new replies.