Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 29er as a new XC racer, but….
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’m still looking to build or buy a new XC mountain bike. Reading on here would suggest that 29er is the way to go, but looking at current XC racing reports and websites it would seem they haven’t been fully embraced.
    Without trying one it’s a bit of a problem.

I rode a 96er for a while, I loved the traction but not the steering.

Is it simply horses for courses?

njee20
    Free Member

looking at current XC racing reports and websites it would seem they haven’t been fully embraced.

In what way? Many riders at all levels are on them. I’d say 2/3 of folk riding new bikes for this season are on 29ers. Plenty of friends have switched, and all like their various bikes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, certainly horses for courses.

If you like riding HT’s and get a 29’er with good geo they’re as manoeuvrable as a 26″ HT and definitely climb better.

My Chumba HX2 is faster, climbs better, handles just as well and descends way better than my Cove Handjob with very similar build kit.

Hope Hoops, Dual Air Rebas, Elixir Brakes & XT drive train

DT78
    Free Member

At this years gorricks 26 ers seemed to be in a minority…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, next year everyone will be on 650b, as that’s where the marketing dollar will be going next.

Spend wisely….

GaryLake
    Free Member

I wouldn’t judge 29ers off the back of riding a 69er…

Get a demo if you’re not sure. Superfly FS and HT, and the SC Tallboy are the best I’ve personally ridden. Honestly felt like every other rider was on a Spesh Epic 29er at Bike Fest this weekend.

gee
    Free Member

If you are buying a new XC race bike now I’d go 29er unless you are a dwarf. You have a massive choice of bikes and prices so just go and test a few?

oldgit
    Free Member

I might go for the Giant XTC composite, I get a deal on Giants so unless there’s any reason not to get one that’s top of the list.

And don’t laugh, but I ride mainly road, then cross so I was hoping a 29er wouldn’t feel so alien, like a ‘normal’ mountain bike does.

tony24
    Free Member

the XTC 26 inch? when i contacted giant about getting a xtc 29er the main dealer said not till next year 🙁

when for the cube reaction 29er instead and am glad i did 😀

goldenwonder
    Free Member

You won’t get hold of a 2012 XTC Composite now, they sold out a long time ago. Next stock will be 2013 stock

oldgit
    Free Member

The Cube looks good, seems great value, but Cubes are the most breakiest bikes I’ve ever known – IME.
    Giant frames just can’t be knocked.

Goldenwonder, are you trade? I don’t mind waiting and seeing out this years races on the bike I have.

pete68
    Free Member

There was a giant composite XTC at pedal on yesterday so must be some about.

johnnystorm

Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 8)

aa
    Free Member

a friend of mine who does the nps told me at the back end of last season that he can no longer be competitive on a 26″ wheel bike and he’s have to go 29″.

he now rides a giant xtc and is really pleased with it.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s just blaming his kit, but certainly 29ers are more popular this season.

rOcKeTdOg

29ers are for losers, do you want to start the race as a loser?

druidh
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    The Cube looks good, seems great value, but Cubes are the most breakiest bikes I’ve ever known

What?

aa
    Free Member

nah, he’s not blaming kit in any way. he’s a pretty good rider, top 30 mtb, top 15 cross nationally. he’s no reason to say 26ers aint as fast if he feels they aren’t. and if it gives him a boost mentally then thats also good.

rocketdog, it don’t matter if you start the race as a loser if you end the race as a winner.. 😉

darrell
    Free Member

you are falling for the marketing bollocks

i recently bought a new xc race weapon – and yes its a 26er

and i aint doing too bad at the races this year for an old man

and to be honest maybe 5% of the elite racers are using 29ers here in Norway

singlespeedstu

Well, next year everyone will be on 650b

That ain’t never going to happen.

They’ve been around for a fair few years with no real impression being made on diehard 29erists or diehard 26eristst.

They might eventualy find a niche in medium travel trail bikes though.

pjm84
    Free Member

I would disagree. I have a few choices when it comes to what I ride and I took my 26er FS out today. It was slow.

Two MTB riding buddies have 29er. A third is still on a 26er and having to work hard only because of the bike. If we’re both on 26er its pretty even. However my 29er HT is so much quicker its unfair.

njee20
    Free Member

if it gives him a boost mentally then thats also good.

Of course. But to say he could no longer be competitive on a 26″ bike is bollocks! They’re certainly more popular than ever, but not totally dominant.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I race on Scale 29er, I find it hands down faster, but still think they suit the taller rider, weight distribution and proportionality etc. It suits me and I have the power to overcome the marginal acceleration losses of big wheels. ( I’m usually 1st to the ST in a race before blowing!.)On Some particularly twisty ST sections though mainly when trees are involved you need to work harder to keep on the pace
    Ask Matt Page though he didn’t believe it till he tried it and is much faster on the Cwm ryhder descent on a HT 29er than he is on a 26 full suss, nuff said

flap_jack
    Free Member

surely the maths says the lightest wheels must be fastest ? why wouldn’t this be the case ?

singlespeedstu

Because there’s more to it than weight.
    There’s also momentum, grip and being able to get away with less suspension.
    If it was just down to weight 24″ wheels would have taken off for XC. 😉

DT78
    Free Member

so if 29ers are faster how long before an even bigger size comes out 32ers?

oldgit
    Free Member

There’s also momentum, grip and being able to get away with less suspension

This is what appeals to me. I rode my old carver 96er rigid and didn’t feel the need for any suspension.
    Off camber grip was ace as well, and meant you had new lines open to you.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

so if 29ers are faster how long before an even bigger size comes out 32ers?

Do you live in a cave?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

you are falling for the marketing bollocks

🙄

jimification
    Free Member

I’m on a 29er HT (carbon Flash) and I really like it. I don’t think I particularly like it more because of the bigger wheels though. I think it’s a combo of low weight, frame stiffness / compliance, geometry, handling and a lot of other factors. I’m not convinced the 26″ version of the same bike wouldn’t be just as good.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘29er as a new XC racer, but….’ is closed to new replies.