• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Pyro.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 29er Air fork recommendations?
  • peatybike
    Free Member

Hello guys,

As a new member I thought I’d pop a pretty generic question in the forum.

So I currently ride a Superfly, however a previous owner has done me the dis-service of fitting XC30’s. Now, although this is just a training muck about bike I would like to be able to lift the front end up without my joints being stretched! 😉

Any recommendations would be massively appreciated- budget will be £400- Looking new.

Cheers lads!

P.

somouk
    Free Member

Rockshox Reba would be my choice, should get some easily within budget.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Rebas will do the job very well in saying that I’ve just upgraded to Pikes 130mm.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Reba, can’t fault mine

fudge9202
    Free Member

Found these on eBay, any good to you?
    Rebas at 180 quid
    Item no 191815608426

mucker

Those forks on eBay are mine, if your interested contact me (email in profile) and we’ll work something out without their fees.

billyboy
    Free Member

I bought a Reba RL120 29er solo air last year. It didn’t work. They sent me another one. It didn’t work. They sent me another one. It didn’t work. I serviced that one myself. Yes it was packed with too much grease inside and hardly any oil in the lowers (doesn’t take much anyway!!)- which was what folk said might be the case. I cleaned it out and put half as much oil again in the lowers than they recommend. Yes the first 20 miles after servicing it, felt good, but no, the second ride I’ve just done on it didn’t feel so good.

Look for the comments others have made before you buy one. I think Rockshox have/had a problem with the air shaft. Without a doubt air pressure was building up in the outers on all mine, because you could stick a zip tie between the seals and the stanchions and release it, and I think the negative and positive air were not balancing. Whatever the problem was I had three brand new Reba forks that all lacked damping and bashed you about, rather than ironed out the trail for you.

One point of interest for you……

What fork offset does your bike need?

Gary Fisher used to use 51mm offsets and the Superfly is probably based around his designs. Reba only come in 46mm offset unless you get the longer axles one.

I have an X-Fusion Slide which I really rate. That has a 51mm offset and I think it is cheaper. Mine has never achieved full travel. After two years the lockout isn’t functioning. Yes I must service it. No I haven’t been arsed yet, BUT it is head and shoulders better than the Rebas I’ve had.

kimbers

Bit of a gamble but CRC have some very light (carbon crown/ steerer) marzocchis going for<300. And if you are a CTC member extra discount

Pyro

All three of my bikes are running Manitou Tower Pros, and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new set. Setup is easy, maintenance is easy and they’ve all been bombproof so far – past 3 years on my oldest set. CRC had some good deals on the newer Manitou forks – Marvels, I think. That’s where I’d be liking if I was buying new.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘29er Air fork recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.