Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 29+ tyre options?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

Any other options than the ridiculously expensive Surly Knard?

nedrapier

I’d get Dually rims and some “proper” sized 2.4s *(eg contis)

You get a much better range of tyre options, most of which will be cheaper, a good slice of the “+” benefits, and the benefits of a wider rim to boot.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’d get Dually rimsor the new stans hugo but I disagree that the 2.4’s give you much of the +

Tyre choice is just the knard at the moment, (which is rather good fun in everything but mud)

Tyre options are coming though, maxxis have the chronicle coming and vee rubber also have a new one but I can’t remember what it’s called. Surly should also start selling the dirt wizard soon also.

Edit: Vee Rubber is the trax fatty I think.

nedrapier

I saw conti x kings on Duallys and they looked pretty big next to the same tyres on my Crests.

Also, I bought the “2.75” 26+ Surly Dirt Wizard, and it came up 0.02inches wider than 2.4 X King on the same rim. Bit disapointing for a very expensive tyre that seemed to be worth a try for a unique volume.

I know the OP’s talking about the “3.0” Surlys here, but just going by the story on the 26+, it seems that they’re banking on most of the difference coming from the rim (my rims are crests, they suggest 35-50mm rims for the 26+)

Clobber
    Free Member

The knard is a behemoth in comparison to a 2.4 x-king on my dually rims

29er flavour though..

nedrapier

If you happen to wave some calipers near your 2.4 X Kings on Duallys…? 🙂

I would like a bit more volume in the front, but £104 isn’t a cheap rim any more than £60 is a cheap tyre!

nedrapier

Never mind, I’ve just been playing with someone else’s numbers (knard = 2.76 on Flow EX, 2.98 on a RH) Using the same tyre width/ rim width ratio gives:

X King: Crest 2.33; Dually -> 2.55; Rabbit Hole -> 2.61

Dirt Wizard: Crest = 2.35; Dually -> 2.57; RH -> 2.63.

So it seems the Knard is more true to size than the Dirt Wizard, and my comments not really relevant here!

Surly said in the Instigator press release said they found the fork with the biggest clearance, and worked on the biggest wheel/tyre that would fit it, so it’s not that surprising it’s not much bigger than a “normal” tyre. I guess they had to claim on the high side with the number on the sidewall, otherwise it wouldn’t be different enough to claim it was “26+” and sell at the price they needed to sell at.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Knards may be expensive but I’ve got nearly 1000 miles on mine and they look good for at least 4 times this distance.
    So, miles per £ I think they are great value, crap on wet roots but great value all the same

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘29+ tyre options?’ is closed to new replies.