Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29+ Tyre Choices
  • andykirk
    Free Member

So a set of 29×3.0 Bontrager Chupucabras have just arrived at my house. In the last few days (a bit late I know) I have been reading a lot of poor reviews of these, the only thing they appear to have going for them is low weight compared to the competition.

Can any users of these shed any light… or recommend any other all condition 29×2.8 or 3.0 tyre for mixed surface use.

sillyoldman

Great summer tyre, but haven’t had a summer here for a loooong time… Minion 29×3.0 is fantastic in a range of conditions, but not cheap!

rOcKeTdOg

Surly dirt wizard

llama

Minions are grippy as you like. Can run them pretty low pressure without the sides feeling too floppy. Draggy yes but not as draggy as you might think. Only had them a short while, not convinced I’d like them in the summer. Silly money. Then again, so are most in this size.

MadBillMcMad

Maxxis chronicles here.

Fast rolling and yet remarkablely grippy.

Run tubeless with no issues.

andyg1966

“Maxxis chronicles here.

Fast rolling and yet remarkablely grippy.

Run tubeless with no issues.”

This

kuman
    Free Member

Surly Dirt Wizard front and rear – all year round. They roll ok and grip is amazing in all conditions.

foureyes
    Free Member

Just changed from Chupucabras to dhf and a dirt wizard on the back and it’s transformed the bike. Well worth the huge cost and as others have said oddly the drag just doesn’t seem to be an issue I’ve only noticed it on road sections and it’s not bad . Mud once again is fun

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My Dirt Wizards needed replacing this spring so I stuck Chupacubras on for the summer.
    As has been said, DWs are brilliant, Chupas certainly great in the dry and haven’t had a chance to try them in autumn slop yet.
    I suspect I’ll be buying another pair of DWs unless someone can recommend something else.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Trying out a Terrene McFly 2.8 on the back at present, held up well in the sticky stuff last week and great on the sandier trails round my way too, impressed so far.

mintimperial

Surly Dirt Wizard front and rear – all year round. They roll ok and grip is amazing in all conditions.

This. They stick like the proverbial. Go up tubeless fine too and seem to last ok.

I mean, obviously they’re not *fast* rolling, but then if you wanted out-and-out XC speed you’d not be looking at gigantic comedy clown-bike tyres, would you?

foureyes
    Free Member

Lol mintimperial but I find all other bikes look funny now since going 29+ 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

3.25 Duro Crux, bigger is better !)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve just seen that Bontrager are doing the XR4 in 29×3 flavour. That’s me sorted then. 🙂

Daffy

I run my Chupas for 3 seasons and whist I agree that they grip differently in the wet, they still grip fine. The same is true of my car tyres.

funkmasterp

Vee bulldozer is a great tyre. Large at 3.25 and I think they may have been discontinued. Vittorio Bombollini is similar to the chupacabra, but I found them to be better in the wet

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29+ Tyre Choices’ is closed to new replies.