Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29 hardtail vs 650b full suss – maintenance
  • ajt123
    Free Member

How much extra maintenance is there really for a full suss?

Obviously some designs are flexier, some bearings less well sealed, but game something avarage, like a faux bar, or twin link, are you changing out those bearings all the time, or once a year.

I am hard on my bikes, particularly bearings.

Thoughts?

NormalMan

Not sure the wheel size will make much of a difference 😉

ajt123
    Free Member

Nah, claro, but would substitute lack of suss. for bigger wheels – poor 30 something body needs the cushioning.

Seen some good 29er full suss. but if you are trading off on full suss. against weight, you probably don’t want heavier wheels too.

Dunno, quite a big guy, but no one wants a super heavy bike.

Ideally would like a short travel but tough FS – Transition 130mm bike looks good – but may need to econmise on time, maintenance and cash bcos of newly acquired family commitments

marko75
    Free Member

surely if its down to maintenance then hard tail all the way, Wheel size has no bearing on it unless you have to clean each spoke

dobo
    Free Member

just mtfu and get a hardtail, rigid forks, single speed, 29er fat tyres for some cushioning, save some cash and not worry about it 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The bearings in my old Marin lasted a couple of years, got the shock serviced (the oil in the damper, not just the air sleeve) once a year, plus bushings in the shock if they’ve worn out too.

However, I’m not sure everyone bothers getting this sort of thing done.

With worn bearings and shock, the bike can still “work” without any obvious play or noises.

I serviced the fork at home (doesn’t take much longer than taking it off and boxing it up for postage)

JCL
    Free Member

Seen some good 29er full suss. but if you are trading off on full suss. against weight, you probably don’t want heavier wheels too.

The lower rolling resistance destroys the extra weight argument.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If you ride a lot, in bad conditions, you might have to change the bearings once a year. Most people will get away with much less often. I would have thought once every 2-3 years is probably average.

EDIT: And similar timescales for shock servicing, assuming you hose it off/lube it every couple of rides.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

18 months into a new fs, and a couple of shock services, bearings like new and the pivots have grease ports. So minimal maintenance really.

takisawa2

Single pivot would make sense.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Single pivot would make sense.

or just a bike that has decent sealed bearings….

T666DOM

Fat bike all the way

Failing that an Orange 5? Never changed the pivot bearings in mine after 4 years of use, still smooth.

wiggles
    Free Member

Get a whyte or a Santa cruz and the bearings are free…

eshershore
    Free Member

I sold my devinci Dixon fs in 2012 and bought a 29’er hardtail because the fs was making my riding in the flat lands of south east England too easy, and I wanted something with minimal maintenance.

Can’t say I’ve ever missed fs since. The hard tail has been easy to own, and the carbon fibre frame means its light and surprisingly comfortable combined with the big wheels and 25 psi in the tires.

I am on my 4th frame since 2012, but that is another matter and the brand has always resolved issues within a few days of contact, so not a problem from my POV.

chestrockwell

Orange 5 as suggested. On my third since 2006 and none of them have needed any more maintenance then my hard tails.

ajt123
    Free Member

Thanks pleaderwilliams and Mike. Good clear answers.

Doesn’t sound like too much maintenance.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29 hardtail vs 650b full suss – maintenance’ is closed to new replies.