Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 29 front, 26 back; new beast of the east?
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

any thoughts or has anyone done it?

larger front wheel, smaller back wheel; cannondale did this.

my question is; why? what were the benefits? should it be done again?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do you live in a cave?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

maybe,
    what was the one that cannondale did with two different sized wheels? on the same bike!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Trek 69er.

Woody
    Free Member

It'll never catch on, people like things in matching pairs 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Pah – old hat

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

wow, whats it ride like?

and why did you make it?

the only things that match on my bike are the pedals and tyres!

Woody
    Free Member

Druidh

If that was a car it would be know as a cutnshut (I had to be careful typing that as I'm on a warning for swearfilter dodging!)

Tried that recently on my Love/Hate but it ruined the handling 😥

druidh
    Free Member

Woody
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is great. Like riding a 'normal' bike but faster over small bumps. Doesn't feel like riding a gate like some 29ers do.

Got a custom Carver 96er and never looked back. It is up for a test ride if you are near Southampton

Andy-R

Like WCA says – just like riding a normal bike but better, or at least my Hummingbird is. The only thing is that although you don't notice the larger front wheel at the time, when you swap to a bike with a 26" front wheel the wheel seems tiny and miles away.

Like riding a supermoto bike after an enduro bike.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

the cannondale one was 24" rear 26" front. never caught on. Don't think it was the Beast of the East though was it? I though that was their trials-y frame the M800 but could be wrong, it was a loooong time ago.

69ers the new thing. buggered if I know why though. I'm happy with my collection of 26ers

richcc
    Free Member

Think the cannondale was an sm600? Wanted one at the time for no sensible reason.

Del

don't think trek make the 69er any more and the carver appears to be rather hold to get hold of in the uk now 🙁
    shame. having finally wound my mate at work up to get a mountain bike, him having funds available to do so, and convinced him that a 69er was Just What You Need, now he's finding it tricky to get one. 🙄

Pukz
    Free Member

Trek 69er's, you have to get it first I think (from a technical point of view) to fully appreciate the ride . I'm into mine, it is deffo a marmite bike though.

Trek no longer produce them, I may know someone moving theirs on if you like me to enquire, twas a while back though so I'm not sure if they still have it?

69er
    Free Member

My mate has a Trek 69er. I think it right, so it must be right. I'd get one if they were still available.

A future classic…. 😯 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I can't see why you'd want a 69er over a 29er.

chela
    Free Member

Don't think it was the Beast of the East though was it? I though that was their trials-y frame the M800 but could be wrong, it was a loooong time ago.

It was the Beast of the East/M800, but IIRC only early ones were 24/26 or a 46er as I suppose they're now inevitably called. Most of the Beast of the Easts were plain old 26ers I think.

I remember one hung on the wall of my LBS for yonks and it looked kinda great. But also kinda stupid. Much like a 69er does today.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘29 front, 26 back; new beast of the east?’ is closed to new replies.