Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29+ Curious
  • fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a 29er for ages now but being on the larger size can’t help but think there might be something in this + size tyre so I have 2 questions.

1/ Anyone go from normal 29er to 29+ and if so what was the noticeable difference?

2/ What options are out there for 29+ as I’ve been out of the loop for a little while now?

Cheers all

Fatladridesbikes

aka BigSi

singletracksurfer

I tried a 3″ front wheel on my Singular Swift and loved it. I’m in the Chilterns, so not very technical riding just fast singletrack, and it seems ideal for the trails here. Loads of grip and rumbles over roots and horse churned trails. Feels nicer and more fun than having a suspension fork in my opinion (maybe still in the honeymoon period though).

So I then bought a Krampus. It’s slower to accelerate than the Swift and harder/draggier on the climbs now I have a fat back tyre too, which is probably due to the extra weight too. Moving from fat front to fat front & back is much like you’d expect the changes to be from hardtail to full-sus.

It’s not very draggy but the steering feels slightly odd/pully on the tarmac when turning. It’s just fun just blatting over things as the tyres just soak it up more than a standard tyre and suspension would at times too and the grip is AMAZING.

ajantom

1) Not going from, but I have ridden 29ers. Even better rolling over stuff, and as the volume in a 3″ tyre is much bigger you get a more ‘cushioned’ ride.

2) Limited options in stock bikes – Surly Krampus, Genesis Longitude, and the new Trek Stache. Lots more options if you go custom.
    Tyres are still a little thin on the ground – The Knard does the job well, but isn’t perfect in muddy conditions. The Chronicle is grippier, but slower rolling and seems to be out of stock a lot. There is a new Vee tyre out, and maybe the Chucacabra coming soonish.

I ride mine in all conditions and over all terrains. It’s great for long XC rides, but is also a hoot on technical singletrack. My full-sus hardly gets a look-in these days.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

It’s the grip up front I am interested in initially and then if I like it I would look to go + front and back.

You mention that you used it upfront on your Swift so was this on the new froks or the older light blue ones? I only ask as I have the light blue Swift at the moment so this would make trying it a feasable option rather than having to change the whole bike!

singletracksurfer

It doesn’t fit in the blue Swift fork (same as I have), but I had a carbon Niner fork on it. Probably selling the both now (and putting the Swift back to its original set-up as I have the Krampus) but I think a friend has bagsied the wheel as he saw me having too much fun so wants it.

The grip (of which there is a lot) makes it so much fun.

Sam

Just to confuse things I have some of the new full 29+ compatible Swift forks available in the old blue for people who want to retrofit….

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Ok cheers. If your friend decides he doesn’t want the front wheel any chance I can be next in line Please?

Fork wise I think I’d get the Surly one as think that would fit the Swift frame!

singletracksurfer

Oh man that sounds very interesting Sam. Oh dare I? How much are the new blue Swift forks?

Ah, he’s already bought a fork for the wheel so he’s keen.
    I’ll let you know if anything different happens though.

Gotama
    Free Member

You can get a knard on a stans flow in the older swift fork, I did it with mine. Its not a permanent solution but there is a couple of mm clearance on each side as a test and I rode it reasonably hard like that for a short period, albeit not in the mud. Secondly, unless you have some bonkers narrow rims you’ll be able to get a 29+ tyre to blow up fine for a test ride. If you like it then buy the rest of the kit, if not then flog the tyre on here. There is a difference when they’re seated on a decent size rim but it’s not mind bogglingly different.

And why buy a piece of surly iron when Sam is offering the new, wider, Swift fork in blue?

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Hi Sam. The forks you mention, are they 1 1/8 steerer or tapered? If they are 1 1/8 then I’ll take one!

Sam

They are 1 1/8″ straight. I will have to check how many blue ones I have left… I definitely have a fair few cream ones…

In other news the 29+ specific Rooster should finally be here later this month…

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Cheers Sam. I’ve just emailed you and have your bank account details already so am poised to purchase 😉

BillOddie

1/ Anyone go from normal 29er to 29+ and if so what was the noticeable difference?

Yep! I’m in the fortunate position to have ridden 2 very similar bikes, one 29 (Surly Karate Monkey (with 2.4 tyres) – built January 2014) and 29+ (Surly Krampus built this January). I have also tried a “normal” 2.4 Ardent on the back of the Krampus.

Thoughts/Observations:
    1) The amount of grip you get from a 29x3in tyre at low pressures is phenomenal! Loads more than a 29er!
    2) The cush you get makes a difference, more than you’d think. You can let the tyres deal with the little 1-2″ inch bumps and use your arms and legs for the bigger stuff.
    3) Inertia – once you get them rolling they don’t stop but they do take more effort to get going. Because physics.
    4) I didn’t really like the 29+ Front and 29 Rear set up, felt a bit odd, that MIGHT have been down to the mismtached tread patterns, the shoulder lugs on the Ardent felt very different to the shallower lugs on the Maxxis Chronicle.
    That being said A Surly Dirt Wizard 29×3 on the front with the Maxxis Minion 29×2.5 on the rear might be awesome in the slop!

I plan to keep both bikes but the Krampus is defo my main bike and the Karate Monkey will likely be losing all but 1 of it’s gears.

In summary: 29+ is more funnerer.

2/ What options are out there for 29+ as I’ve been out of the loop for a little while now?
    Krampus, Krampus OPS, Jones Plus, Carver Gnarvester, Trek Stashe… Has to be said even without suspension in the mix, 29+ is not a cheap option.

mos

If anyone is interested, i will have a cheapish 29+ front end available in a week or 2.
    Shimano HB66 centrelock hub with Kris Holm rim.
    White Bros Rock solid Fork.

I’ve been converted to the plus front end on my Lurcher & have a Travers Prong fork waiting for a LB 38mm carbon rim building up. Once it’s all assembled, keep an eye on the classifieds.

rOcKeTdOg

29+ on the Swift works well

so well I’m wondering if there are any spare Roosters in the shipment 😯

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg is that the retro fit fork Sam is talking about? If so what is the max tyre size that can be fitted?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29+ Curious’ is closed to new replies.