Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 29 Crest vs Hope Tech XC rims or ???
  • GJP
    Free Member

Looking for some new, “lightish” 29in wheels as an upgrade to my stock wheels. A set of Hopes seems like a safe choice, but undecided between Crests and Hopes own XC rims. Anyone using the latter?

For some reason I never really took to my Olympic rims, and I always ran with my xc717s, on Hope 2s, but I think this was completely irrational.

Don’t really wish to spend more than £400 and nearer to £300 is even better. Any other wheels to consider?

mboy
    Free Member

How much do you weigh out of interest?

Crests are pretty flexy in their 29er incarnation, they’re certainly light but even on an XC race bike I’d be looking elsewhere myself unless you’re the other side of 10st (like my GF who runs them without issues) as they ain’t the stiffest!

Ringo
    Free Member

I’m 13 stone have run crests for a few years now no problems. pretty rough on them too

boxelder

Arch EX, or the Pacenti (TL28?) Rimmed wheels from superstar have been praised?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Got some Crests on Novatech hubs if you fancy?
    Used in two races and one training ride.
    250 posted but will include valves for tubeless conversion.
    Ready taped for tubeless,q/r but will include 15mm adaptors and skewers.
    Email:singlespeedtothemax1@hotmail.co.uk for photo’s,
    Thanx,
    Max

boxelder

Mate has the Hope XC rims, rides a lot, chasing KOMs ( :roll:) up and down lakeland hills and has been very happy with them. I’m giving up n Crests – flexy and prone to damage (but I am near 14 stone)

bigrich

I’ve the hope xc wheels on my cx bike. eyelets for the win.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Been using Crests on my cross and hardtail mtb’s.
    Absolutely no issues and weigh 13.5-14 stone.
    Thanks,
    Max

noltae
    Free Member

My Crests are running true – I like to dodge bumps .. It’s fun ..

beano68
    Free Member

I’m using Hope Techs and I’m 14 stones and they take a right spanking and they are spot on 😮

GJP
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I do not know how much I weigh but it is definitely more than 10 stone!

Mixed opinions above about the Crests but the majority of opinion based on a small sample suggests the Hopes and their eyelets are a safer bet than the Crests in 29er form given my weight is definitely above 12 stone.

Max thanks for the offer but I am spending part of my annual bonus so wish to buy new on this occasion.

Kryton57

American Classics fit your current conclusion – strong but light. I’m bashing around on the 29 MTB race – for racing – with no issues. 28mm wide too at 1450g.

A worthy investment iMO.

otsdr
    Free Member

Ryde Trace XC might be worth a look; Trace Trails are 25mm wide and not that heavy.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got Crests too on my ht and I’m 78kg.

Only bent one in half in 3 years and that was a stupid crash anyway

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘29 Crest vs Hope Tech XC rims or ???’ is closed to new replies.