Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • 29+?
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Anyone got one of these?

What’s available : HT/Full suss, carbon if poss.

Googled it but can’t get any decent info.

slowbloke
    Free Member

Trek Stache is the only carbon 29+ I can think of but there are probably others. No idea what the carbon ones ride like as mines aluminium.

pipiom
    Free Member

Are you happy with yours SB

rene59
    Free Member

Salsa Deadwood is a 29+ carbon full suss.

Salsa Woodsmoke is a 29+ carbon hardtail.

I have a 29+ Surly Krampus which is a steel fully rigid, the most fun bike I’ve ever had.

slowbloke
    Free Member

Yes. It’s hilarious to ride! There is no grip is mud though and adding heavier tyres just makes it a pain to ride. I’ve compromised with a chupacabra on the back and Vee Bulldozer on the front.

Forgot about the various Salsa options.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Stache here…. Ally version with magnum pro forks. Same tyre combo as slowbloke. Absolutely the most fun on two wheels and perfect for the riding i tend to do. Really sorted geometry. Carbon is lighter and erm maybe possibly slightly stiffer? The rear flex on the ally stache is noticeable (I am a stomper not a spinner) although not a problem with rub.

The bouncy fork did transform the bike.. I liked it rigid but the undamped squish of the rubber did have the tendency to throw the front end in all directions. Since getting the magnum it rides so much better.

dovebiker

Custom titanium with geometry adjusted for non-offset forks:

Now 4 years old and running 1×10 transmission and sweep bars – I use it as my summer / bike packing bike and replaced a regular 29er. I just love the ‘bomber’ handling and the way the big wheels roll over the rough stuff. Replaced the worn-out Knards with Chronicles – but I’d fit Dirt Wizards if riding muddier conditions.

lotto
    Free Member

Jones Plus.

slowbloke
    Free Member

Pictures. May as well post a pic of mine then – on Dartmoor and it was just about to throw it down.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

A bit of a hooligan.

addy6402

Krampus here, great for long distance mile munching but also hooning round the woods. The momentum it gathers is quite impressive!

chevychase

Really good for long distance? Doesn’t the wheel weight cripple you? By long distance how many miles you talking? 50-60, day after day?

km79
    Free Member

Doesn’t the wheel weight cripple you?

Once they are up to speed they really keep their momentum with no more effort.

By long distance how many miles you talking? 50-60, day after day?

Day after day on a Krampus would be no problem, but depending on terrain covered you may also wish to consider the ECR which is more for touring as opposed to the Krampus which is more trail oriented.

ajantom

I’ve done 75-80km rides on my Krampus no problem. Some SS, and some with an Alfine hub.

The wheels aren’t ridiculously heavy if you set them up tubeless (the original Surly 29+ tubes weighed loads!), and once they’re rolling they just keep on going!

I love mine for twisty local singletrack as much as big days out in the wilds.
    29+ is a great concept and Surly got it bob on first time with the Krampus. Though I wouldn’t say no to trying out a Carbon Stache or a Jones Plus 😉

fin25
    Free Member

MK1 Genesis Longitude, singlespeed with Jones loop bars. Because 29 plus just ain’t niche enough.

dovebiker

I’ve ridden 200 miles in a day on mine with about 15,000ft of climbing – I weigh 9.5 stone. Takes a bit more effort to get the wheels rolling, but once rolling they keep going. Might not suit those who like the twisties, but something like bike packing they’re great.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

29 x 2.8 on the back with a Bulldozer up front on our long niche tandem, plus sized and hub geared. Rolls really well and grip is way better than what we have had for years preceding this.

wombat

addy6402 – Member

Krampus here, great for long distance mile munching but also hooning round the woods. The momentum it gathers is quite impressive!

Another Krampus rider here, I agree with everything Addy says (especially the momentum 😯 ).

Running mine rigid with tubed Dirt Wizards at both ends and an Alfine 11, not found any terrain that it won’t deal with.

Definitely the most grin inducing bike I’ve ridden.

scud
    Free Member

I have 29+ as a second set of wheels on Beargrease fat bike and it’s gives another option, as others have said they really do just want to roll, can scarily keep speed over roots and rocks.

If you are wanting an adaptable bike, then remember a lot of fat bike frames can take 29+ too, my alu beargrease comes in at 27ibs too

andyg1966

Carbon Stache 9.8 (29+) here. Without doubt best bike I’ve owned to date, great for anything from XC to very rugged trail riding.

Only downside is choice of tyres and price of said choice.

tazzymtb

love 29+, had a singular rooster that was a brilliant, now have a ti 29+ singlespeed that Im happy moshing a 200km plus a day on. Depends on the geometry but all of the modern 29+ that I’ve ridden are still good in the playful stuff as well as being mile munchers for big mountain and moorland days

ajantom

Thought I’d post this here – DMR Trailstar set up as a 29+.
    Turns an already hooligan bike into a proper monster truck 😀

Andy

I have a Stache XL frame, carbon forks and wheels up on the Classifieds if any use to anyone 😉
    Geo just isnt working for me. Shame as love my Rooster and Jones Plus

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@chevychase

I’ve ‘only’ gone half-fat (29+ at front 29*2.1 at rear), and even with tubes fitted, it’s done nothing but make me much faster, even over a regular 29er.

The cornering ability is just astounding.

Slight deviation from the topic but, as I’ve indicated in previous posts, it makes perfect sense to go 29+ up front for commuting.

I managed to get to Edinburgh last month and if tram tracks nationwide are the same as the ones that you see in Edinburgh then by going 29+, you won’t have to worry about somersaulting over your bike, teeth first as your wheel disappears betwixt the lines.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Great beard… Ah any excuse….yeah 29+ up front is the way forward 🙂

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Even riding on concrete/ tarmac, half-fat is stupendously grin-inducing.

It’s a bit like the first time you take studded tyres out over ice.
    Half of your brain says “I really shouldn’t be getting away with this”

The other half says “wheeeeeeeee” *

Maybe it’s time for some proper ‘slicks’ (schwalbe big apples) in an even wider size…

*though “harder, faster, tighter” sounds much more cool:)

pipiom
    Free Member

Stache it is then. Cheers guys, frame/build kit ordered Friday.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Nice! Post some build pics up when you get it 🙂

Great beard…. I ran the 2.35 big apples on my stache on the mulefut rims for a bit whilst fixing my commuter. Ended up riding it for far longer than planned in this configuration.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Oh and may aswell post a pic of it as everyone else has 🙂

With the magnum now running 120mm travel. At first I found the front a little high but removed two spacers and flipped the stem and it’s perfect! Subtle changes seem to make much more of a difference to the geo on the stache compared to my “normal” bikes

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ll try and post some pics docorleoni

metalheart
    Free Member

Damn Tazzy, that is a nice looking ti s/s… Jones or Stooge?

Just as well I don’t have enough tatts to justify getting one…. 😉

speccyguy
    Free Member

I’m a bit late to add my 2p as you’ve ordered already, but for the benefit of anyone googling in future.

I have a 29+ I had made up by Waltly. It runs rigid forks in the winter and Fox 34 in the summer (non-boost, Bomboloni on farsports 35mm fits fine).

I’m only 177cm so just on the border-line of 29×3 making sense. Running carbon 35mm rims keeps the rotating weight down so it’s almost as fast as my Yeti ASR on my usual 28-minute (-28:30) XC lap.

Grip is superb as mentioned but get yourself a consistent gauge as the tyres are very sensitive to pressure. +/- 2 psi will see you pinging off everything to rim striking. Definitely go tubeless as you will strike your rims unless you run absolutely too high pressures. I guess a wider rim would make them less sensitive but that’s based on maybe rather than experience or science.

Good choice on the Stache. My friend has one and the rear dropout assembly that allows you to pull a 29×2 in even tighter is something I envy. If you’re building to their rigid fork then you’ll be able to swap to a Fox 34 if you want as I think their rigid is 15×100

If I was building again I would have gone for something that takes 27×3 and 29×2 but if you’re tall then the Stache is a great bike.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

^ speccyguy has a good point. Def get a decent tyre gauge as I totally agree a couple of psi makes a huge difference to the ride.

There are a few forks out there that just about squeeze in the 29×3″ rubber. I tried a reba boost, cleared fine on the stand but rubbed in hard cornering (the large wheels do flex a bit more).

The fox 34 boost (110 x 15) has about 5mm more clearance and is a little taller. You will have no issues with 35mm rims however as you will loose circa 2.5mm off each side of the tyre carcass (will be taller).

I know someone who tried a 29 pike boost – expensive mistake. However a 29+ specific version does exist but is quite rare.

Magnums have plenty of tyre clearance but heavier than the fox / rebas by about 400g (not that that makes any difference on this type of bike!)

letmetalktomark

I have two 29er plus builds.

One is my Genesis Longitude the other a Rooster.

The Longitude is a bike for longer rides and it set up with Loop bars and 1×10 – insanely comfortable and capable. The same bike was really playful in 650b plus guise. It’s less so in 29er plus set up but that’s not such a bad thing given it’s set up.

My Rooster is currently set up SS and has got me back into SSing.

I’m temped my Andy’s ^^^ Stache frame but I don’t really need a third, do I 😉

woodster

Got a cheap 29×3 DHR II on ebay and thought i”d give it a go. Usable clearance in my MRP Stage, not had a proper ride to find out if I like it yet.

Andy

LetmetalktoMark my Rooster is brilliant as a singlespeed. Seems to be more fun than all the Ti bling singlespeeds i had before.
    People seem to rate the Stache, but not for me sadly 😥

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@doncorleoni

I had the big apple 2.35/ 2.15 combo on an earlier bike, but it’s still nowhere as addictive as my current 2.8/ 2.1 * combo.

Once you push the boat out (circumference-wise), then the bike really gets into its stride.

Though there still a bit of buzz from the ‘big daddy’ front tyre.

*thats as much as fits in the back of my bike at the mo.

bigrich

the aluminium stache is so good, it renders the carbon unnecessary.

get some Chinese carbon rims on it and you’re laughing

pipiom
    Free Member

Not specifically 29+ related, but it’s what I’m having on the Stache.
    I’ve seen the gear ratio chart etc pre 1/11-1/12

Do any of you fine people know the updated stats I.e.

I currently run SRAM 1/11. 30t chainring, therefore 30/42 is my climbing gear.
    I’m fitting SRAM 1/12. 32t chainring. Will my climbing gear (32/50) be an easier gear?

Anyone made this transition or know the stats?

Andy

Pipiom if you were running 30/42 on a 29er, then 32/50, on a 29er plus 3″ tyred wheel is about 8% lower by my calcs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘29+?’ is closed to new replies.