Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 28h hubs on 29er XC wheels – W I D?
  • cjr61

Always fancied having a go at wheel building, but wondering Will I Die?, and a friend has a pair of decent 28h hubs they’re willing to throw at my curiosity. Firstly, as I have no idea what I’d be doing, can you build them up into 29er wheels? I ride a 100mm travel 29er and I’m a softie so no big drops or gnarr.

If it’s feasible what rims would anyone suggest and some with spokes.

Looking for a cheap project so no carbon rim suggestions please.

Thanks all

DanW
    Free Member

Plenty of factory builds with low spoke counts out there but there are more variables than just the number of spokes. Easy answer would be a nice stiff carbon rim 🙂 After that, talk to whoever plans to build the wheels

boxelder

After that, talk to whoever plans to build the wheels

….just not out loud if anyone else is around.

Don’t expect them to be very stiff, especially cheaper rims. I suspect it’s a big ask for a first build – even tension etc will be really crucial if they’re to stay true.

cjr61

Ok, I was hoping to build them myself under the guidance of the STW combined knowledge

Perhaps this isn’t a great idea!

DanW
    Free Member

….just not out loud if anyone else is around.

😀 I wouldn’t have any qualms riding 28h cheapy carbon rims but finding a hassle free alu rim might be more of a headache.

shermer75
    Free Member

I find wheel building relaxing and rewarding. I would def go for it, be prepared for them to be a little flexy, think of them as a practice pair and move on. Stick to 3x, I’ve always used the bike magic website instructions, follow them closely and it’s pretty hard to go wrong! Enjoy! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t expect them to be very stiff, especially lighter cheaper rims.

Ftfy.

Op would you not be better buying a set up you want rather than using these hubs?

That said if you aren’t heavy then it should be OK with a reasonable rim.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘28h hubs on 29er XC wheels – W I D?’ is closed to new replies.