Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2.8 tyres on 45mm rims
  • widge34
    Free Member

Will 2.8″ tyres mount ok on 45mm rims, or will it make the tyre profile too square?

boxelder

Depends on the tyre. 2.8 Nobby Nic fine on Dually 45mm for me, but WTB Trailblazer ends up square and exposed at the sidewall. For 2.8″ tyres, I’d go narrower for the rear.

rOcKeTdOg

2.8 nobby nic & rekon fit fine on mine

sillyoldman

Duallys are only 39mm wide.

scotroutes

It would help if rim widths were always measured on the inside 🙂

2.8 Trailblazers were the first of the B+ tyres and they were launched along with the Scraper i45 rim.

widge34
    Free Member

My rims are Scraper i45’s

akira

Trailblazers are about the same size as a big 2.4 tyre so I’d avoid those.

BadlyWiredDog

Trailblazers are about the same size as a big 2.4 tyre so I’d avoid those.

Similar width but taller? I’d avoid them for their lack of edge grip and laughable fragility. WTB Rangers are similar size and quick plus robust in TCS Tough guise, but actually have some grip. Ditto the 2.8 Rekon+.

10pmix
    Free Member

2.8 Nobby Nics on a 45mm internal/ 50mm external carbon rim.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Running Rekon+ 2.8 on Scraper i45’s, really like the profile, gives it a bit of edge to dig in once the ridiculous amount of grip eventually lets go 🙂

paton
    Free Member
    MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’m not sure what all this talk of “too square” is all about. I’ve been running 2.4s on Surly Rabbitholes (45mm internal) for a beautifully smooth and grippy ride with minimal drag and excellent stability. Limited mud clearances mean the 3.0s are summer only.

I can’t think of any other vehicle that runs wheels with the tyres pinched in to such narrower rims as a traditional XC bike. Motorbikes don’t, not even wheelbarrows.

widge34
    Free Member

Cheers Guys. Now just need to wait for the 2.8 Minions to be available

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2.8 tyres on 45mm rims’ is closed to new replies.