Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 28 miles of that newfangled 'gravel' riding…….;o)
  • ton

bit like the stuff i have been doing for 30 odd years on my tourer.

i love old stuff but with a new name……… 8)

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’m rather liking having the ability to explore off road and get to and from the start and finish with all the speed and efficiency of a road bike on my CX/Gravel-Racer, whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

wwaswas

i love old stuff but with a new name.

The Rough Stuff Fellowship must be chuffed 🙂

epicyclo

wwaswas – Member
    “i love old stuff but with a new name.”

The Rough Stuff Fellowship must be chuffed

Speaking as an RSF member, mtb riding isn’t rough.

And gravel grinding is like having an empty smooth dual carriageway. 🙂

As gravel riding gets more popular, it will be interesting to watch bike designs evolve. Let’s see, big wheels, slack HAs and forks with big offsets – mmm, just like 1910 all over again. Tubulars and wood rims, anyone? 🙂

midlifecrashes

I think they just mean road riding if your headed off the TdF route in the Dales.

ton

gravelroadrsftastic……. 8)

and that picture is ace.

sangobegger
    Free Member

B7076 for 10 miles south of Abingdon in the borders. Rode it two years ago on the LEJOG and would have to say it was the roughest bit of tarmac I have ever had the misfortune to ride on in my life. Hope it not like that now.

molgrips
    Free Member

What the…? Gravel riding? That’s like MTBing on smooth trails, yes? Is that a thing now?

I’m going to start a new ‘thing’ called peat riding. It’s done on peaty trails in woods. You’ll need a specific bike for it.

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m going to start a new ‘thing’ called peat riding. It’s done on peaty trails in woods.

Wharncliffe presumably.

tom200

What the…? Gravel riding? That’s like MTBing on smooth trails, yes? Is that a thing now?

I’m going to start a new ‘thing’ called peat riding. It’s done on peaty trails in woods. You’ll need a specific bike for it.

It’s riding a bike on roads that are sh**t, so obviously you need another bike for it. Can’t use a cross bike as that only works on mud and grass, too bumpy for a road bike and you won’t be able to stop with rim brakes and a mountain bike will look stupid if your dressed in Lycra.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s like riding round Swinley blue…

epicyclo

molgrips – Member
    …I’m going to start a new ‘thing’ called peat riding. It’s done on peaty trails in woods. You’ll need a specific bike for it.

Yup, it’s called a fatbike 🙂

scotroutes

*cough *
    bikepacking
    * cough *

_tom_
    Free Member

Well that looks… dull. Apart from the views I suppose but I’d rather be either doing it faster on a road bike or having more fun on a mtb riding something more exciting.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I wonder how cool gravel riding will be when people realise that’s what all those family trails are? It seems that the optimum bike is a cheap MTb with the front v brake straddle wire undone or a 10″ wheel balance bike. Round here (FoD) push chairs or shagged downhill bikes are also common.
    Piss taking aside, I do about 4000 miles a year on the gravel. 3 laps of the family trail most days, including in the dark. Busy days in the holidays mean that venturing on to the next track along gives empty tracks. Mixing up the bikes is fun. Good use for old fixed wheelers and elderly fully rigid steel MTBers. The Moulton is coming out soon as is the trike. Must admit to cheating and using the Cotic X or a Kaffenback most of the time.
    Nice thing about it is that it’s easy fast riding without the dangers of the road, especially in the dark.

epicyclo

_tom_ – Member
    Well that looks… dull…

Depends why you ride. Thrills or scenery.

nick1962
    Free Member

epicyclo

You clearly have a good eye for a cracking photo.
    Unfortunately the same cannot be said for your bike aesthetics 🙂

ton

epicyclo, that is ace.
    where is it?

epicyclo

ton – Member
    where is it?

Glen Mhor in the Glen Calvie region

nick1962 – Member
    You clearly have a good eye for a cracking photo.
    Unfortunately the same cannot be said for your bike aesthetics

The bike is built for all day in the saddle in all conditions.

Fortunately those aesthetes with a finely developed sense of proportion are rarely to be seen in the places I go, so I don’t have to worry about offending them.

My bikes built for short pootles are prettier. 🙂

The photos, I can’t take credit for. Scotland keeps chucking up great scenery round every corner.

RustySpanner

scotroutes – Member

ton » i love old stuff but with a new name………

*cough *
    bikepacking everything
    * cough *

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘28 miles of that newfangled 'gravel' riding…….;o)’ is closed to new replies.