Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 27.5ing a Prophet headset help please….
  • granny_ring

So, I’ve been a right lazy **** since getting the golf gti last year and not ridden for the best part of a year….. 😳

I want to build up the Prophet frame again, I bought a 200×57 shock ages ago for it but I can’t remember if it has to go in the xc 69 deg setting, think it does though?

Was also think of trying out a works headset so wondered about going for a 1.5 or 2 deg one?
    Anyone still running a Prophet as a 27.5er if so any advice on which to go for?
    Forks will be 140mm.

TIA

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d have thought you’ probably want to compensate for the big wheels by decreasing the travel in order to keep the geometry the same, otherwise it’s going to get pretty tall?

Assuming the wheels are 25mm bigger diameter, you’ have to knock that much off the fork travel, so ~120mm forks, because the axle needs to be ~12mm higher and the axle to crown also needs to be longer for 650b forks for the same travel.

If the shock ratio is 2.47:1 (140mm and a 57mm shock) then a similar decrease in travel would be a 190 x 50mm shock. You might get away with a 200mm shock in the FR setting, but it would feel like the XC setting in 26″ wheels.

I’ve no idea if that fits, but if it does then it’ll handle better than trying to cram 140mm of travel and big wheels into the frame.

granny_ring

I can’t remember, there was an old thread about this I’ll see if I can find it. Pretty sure the standard shock is 200×50 and fitting a 57 stroke gives the frame clearance needed for the bigger wheel.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It would have to be the other way around, as I’m pretty sure the prophet had a 57mm shock as standard an a 50mm would stop it hitting the seatube at full compression with a big wheel.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Prophet is 200 x 50 stock. 57 would have you buzzing the seat tube for sure. I reckon it will be stock shock in XC position or something with same i2i but shorter stroke.

granny_ring

Think I’m right guys but I’ve looked at my 47 pages of favourites and can’t find the old thread which is a pisser, so I’ll have to trawl through my history, joy of joys….! But…. if anyone that’s done the mod can confirm either way that would be great and save me 3 hours of my life cheers.
    Oh and also the headset thing too 🙂

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Just type:

prophet 650b site:singletrackworld.com

or,

prophet 27.5 site:singletrackworld.com

into Google.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Put a -2 headset in the bike. It’ll drop the BB a bit as well as slackening the HA.
    Don’t forget you can always get a tuning company to adjust the stroke, length, etc if you need to.
    Try both settings and see which works.

Rickos
    Free Member

Fit a 190mm x 50mm shock to keep it low enough to feel normal. The Prophet SL came as standard with a 190mm shock and everyone complained about the low BB and pedal strikes, so with 27b wheels it should be OK. Prolly need the XC setting though for bigger wheels.

el_boufador

I run a prophet 26in, 190×50 shock in xc setting ( to make up the 10mm on stock 200×50,equivalent to fr setting) i buzz the seat tube with tall tyres. I doubt this setup would work with 650b.you will smack the seat tube good and proper.

Why so keen for 650b? Why not just stay 26?

el_boufador

Great frames by the way, absolutely love it.

granny_ring

Cheers torsoinalake, I keep forgetting that it’s been mentioned on here before….
    I’ll have a butchers later.

Why so keen for 650b? Why not just stay 26?

Because I can! Well when I find the chuffing link and info, I can 🙂
    If I don’t like it I’ll change it back, just wanted a cheap way of trying a 27.5er.

Oh and I looked on Works site and they’re not showing a headset for the Prophet frame, I’m sure they used to have so I’ve emailed them.

Rickos
    Free Member

I run a prophet 26in, 190×50 shock in xc setting ( to make up the 10mm on stock 200×50,equivalent to fr setting) i buzz the seat tube with tall tyres. I doubt this setup would work with 650b.you will smack the seat tube good and proper.

D’oh! Of course, you’d need a longer shock with 50mm stroke… 😳

kazafaza
    Free Member

Something I’ve done in the past with 200x50mm shock in the FR setting. It slackens the angles(I much prefer chopper-style geo) and drops the bb which is more important when fitting larger wheels.

There isn’t much clearance with the f.mech and I have a vague recollection that you could only fit a certain mech to make it work? Or perhaps chop off some of it??

Pacenti NeoMoto 2.35 tyres on Halo Vapour rims…and here’s a clearance with 26″ Floats:

It was a few years since I’ve done it but should you have any questions please fire away!

EDIT: stupid stupid google photos, where’s Picasa gone? OP, drop me an email and I can send you the pics…

granny_ring

Emailed you cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘27.5ing a Prophet headset help please….’ is closed to new replies.