Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 27.5 will it be the new 29?
  • spando
    Free Member

Is this coming, will it be the 29 slayer?
    I have no opinion either way, just asking as I never even new that size existed until recently. Does the market really need another wheel size?

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a frame that’s designed for 650b. I think a lot of the appeal at the minute is that a lot of 26″ frames can accept 650b wheels though. I think they fit in all Fox forks that are for 26″ wheels too, these are better as it doesn’t affect the head angle much (as trying to user a 29er fork). In a couple of months the main fork manufacturers will be fetching out specific models. White Brothers and X-Fusion are already doing compatible ones.
    One of the problems was the limited choice of tyres available, more and more are appearing though.
    I wasn’t sure what fork to use but think I’m going for a Lefty…they work with 26″, 650b and 29″ wheels (the latter needing a travel reducer). I’m still not sure on rims but the Pacenti’s are looking good as I need something a bit sturdier than a Stan’s Crest. ‘Just Riding Along’ is the main place to get 650b related stuff in the UK. If it wasn’t for that, I wouldn’t have bought my frame, which should be here next week! 😀

kimbers

scott bringing out some 650b bikes next year, apparently

JoeG
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the 28.25er…

aracer
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the 28.25er…

Don’t be daft – 26.75er is where it’s at.

jam-bo

I remember when 24″ bikes were the next big thing in DH. Didn’t last

compositepro
    Free Member

If you put drop bars on a 29er you can call it a cyclocross bike

clubber
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to all the cheap 29er stuff that’ll be available secondhand when all the “bigger wheels are inherently better” muppets dump their 29ers for 32er then 36ers.

as to the op, not enough difference to be worthwhile IMO.

hugor
    Free Member

not enough difference to be worthwhile IMO.

Agree and I don’t think all 3 will live harmoniously together, as it will be too difficult for shops and manufacturers to keep stockpiles up for all sizes.
    Its another VHS Beta war.
    I personally dont think 650B has a future.

clubber
    Free Member

it’ll always have a niche future.

vinnyeh

so is 650b the same as 27.5, or is there some sort of differentiator a la 700c/29?

MTBR has a 650b forum, so it’s got to have a future….

clubber
    Free Member

700c is 29″

vinnyeh

Oh, I thought 700 referred to the outside diameter of the tire.

Which ? 29″

Edric64
    Free Member

We could always try 26 x 13/8 or 26 x 1/4 they have been around for years

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘27.5 will it be the new 29?’ is closed to new replies.