Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 27.5+ build, where to get wheels? Or buy built.
  • jkomo

Love the look of Cotic Solaris to build up, but can’t find any deals on wide 27.5 rim wheels (and don’t know anything about them).
    On my search I found an amazing deal on a built up Stooge from Charlie BM. (A grand)
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/stooge-27-complete-bike-1×10-10797-p.asp
    Has anyone seen any good wheel deals, or offer an opinion on the above?

johnnystorm

Charlie had a Marin Pine Mountain Frame with a knackered gear Hanger up recently, wonder if that bike was all the bits swapped over?

jkomo

Could be.
    I like doing my own build, but the wheels are really vexing me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I couldn’t find much either, halo vapour 35 get good reviews, but aren’t available again until mid March. I ended up buying a set of WTB i35 rims, novatec hubs and I’ll get a local wheel builder to do the needful. Will come in just under 300 quid.

m0rk
    Free Member

I found some on Alpkit’s site

Love Mud Rumpus 650b+ 100/142 MTB Wheelset

scotroutes

Build yer own?

rOcKeTdOg

Cotic do a set specifically for their Solaris, try contacting Cy

jkomo

Cotic had some for £600. Seemed a bit much.

Northwind

TBH we’re in the scalping phase, I’m dead keen to try it but it’ll need to wait til the prices drop, which they will. For now, if you want it, you need to pay for it or go with compromises like narrow rims or enormously heavy wheels.

jkomo

I could build it up as 29 for now I guess.

jkomo

The Alpkit ones are 2.5kg, doesn’t seem too bad.

scotroutes

My Scraper/Pro 2’s came in at 2.3Kg so the Alpkit ones look like a decent deal

rOcKeTdOg

Aren’t the alpkit ones Boost hubs to fit the sonder frame? They won’t fit a solaris

Edit: just checked the link, as you were

Gotama
    Free Member

I think Just Riding Along are now doing plus builds on their own brand hubs which come in c.£300 from memory. Haven’t tried their hubs but always had great service from them for other wheel builds.

akira

Jra builds are on wtb I35, so not quite plus size but in between. Ideally I’d wait and get some of the new spank rims built up onto pro 4s.

jkomo

Gotama, I’ll have a look.
    akira, where would you get these built? Likely to be mega money?

akira

Yeah guess full build would be looking at £350 but no reason not to get cheaper hubs and build them up yourself. With some canny shopping I reckon you could get something well below £300. As a budget option cheap Shimano hubs and some spank 35mm rims would be closer to £200. All depend a bit on whether you have local shop for building or can build yourself though

Gotama
    Free Member

Akira – you do realise that a WTB i35 is wider than the Spank as the WTB is internal width? Just mentioning because of your comment re not being full plus (which I agree with although personally very happy with i35) and then suggesting the spank rims.

akira

I’m going for 40mm for full plus as the size has to start somewhere, just suggested the spanks as crc are doing then cheap and you can get away with 30mm internal for plus size but doesn’t give you such nice tyre profile. Still worth waiting for a bit I reckon as prices will drop once halo, dt Swiss, spank and Easton get their new stuff out.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ build, where to get wheels? Or buy built.’ is closed to new replies.