Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 27.5 650b wheels, anyone even thinking of them?
  • catsplums
    Free Member

I am building a frame up and have a turner sultan rear triangle (29er) however after reading up I am tempted to go for a 650B to base the geometry on (can get a bit more travel from the back also if I work it all out right I hope 🙂
    so just wondering peoples thoughts on 650b (not me building the rest of the frame)
    will they ever take off? queue the jokes…
    any rumours that look in any shape really? – i am sure on one site they hint specialized are thinking of releasing some
    and also from this raises the what rim question as choices seem really limited at the moment however Stans do most of their popular ranges in this size now however I can’t find a dealer in the uk… any thoughts or info?

cynic-al
    Free Member

justridingalong for stans.

I wouldn’t but to me the difference between 29er and 26er isn’t exactly huge.

kimbers

scott are planning a big push for 650b in 2013 theyve got fox on board for the forks

sticking my neck out and say they will be the standard in 5yrs time*

* ive never actually ridden them!!!

LeeW

I did read that Rockshox, Fox and DT Swiss are doing a lot of work towards 650B for next year – forks and wheels. The theory is that 650B is better for longer travel suspension platforms.

The article also said that bike manufacturer’s weren’t willing to comment on if they were going to make 650B bikes, but RS, Fox and DT Swiss aren’t going to make forks if there aren’t going to be any frames to put them in.

Mate of mine has a Haro (Mary I think) It’s a fully rigid 650B and it rides really well.

catsplums
    Free Member

cool well I think I will give it a crack, thanks for the link to the stans rims, I’ll enjoy learning how to lace a hub.

compositepro
    Free Member

Nah you won’t be able to get tyres for em

soulwood
    Free Member

What goes around comes around, I remember when I first started work in a bike shop the truly baffling array of tyre sizes for old “roadsters” and tourers. 27×1 3/4,27 x 1 1/2, 28×1 1/2 etc. What was truly baffling was that the actual diameter of the wheels differed by about 1/2 inch, I mean WTF? Was glad when the standards of 700c and 26″ came in. Next we’ll have some manufacturer developing their own unique bolt thread types on all their bikes, because it makes truly fantastic climbing or such nonsense.

brant
    Free Member

I did read that Rockshox, Fox and DT Swiss are doing a lot of work towards 650B for next year – forks and wheels. The theory is that 650B is better for longer travel suspension platforms.

Rock Shox have made one revelation fork. That’s it.

catsplums
    Free Member

Schwalbe do rocket Ron in that size, I use them anyway in 26 so not so worried about tires

MrTall
    Free Member

Read this on 29inches the other week.

Seems there will be a big push to sell us yet another ‘standard’.

http://twentynineinches.com/2012/01/26/650-b-youre-going-to-hear-a-lot-about-this-again/

fourbanger
    Free Member

Am I missing something here? Surely the difference between a 26inch and 650B could be gained by changing tyre size?

charliedontsurf

Fourbanger… Think of 650b as a 27.5er, half way between 26 and 29.

Bigger wheel advantage without the design problems of too much wheel when building smaller bikes or suspension bikes.

26 might be going away. And they have got to give it a better name than 650b.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I didnt really like the 29er I borrowed, my mate loves his, but it didn’t feel right to me particularly when in the air. 27.5 sounds like a better compromise, however on paper it’s not that much different to a 26, so I can’t see me wanting to shell out for a new frame and forks. Final judgement reserved till I try one, if they catch on.

chakaping
    Free Member

Surely the difference between a 26inch and 650B could be gained by changing tyre size?

This was the conclusion when ST mag reviewed one a while ago IIRC.

Wish bike companies would stop trying to redesign the wheel! (sorry)

catsplums
    Free Member

Well the bonus is that 650b wheels fit a lot of frames and forks for 26ers so no modifications needed other than wheels and tires and it doesnt knacker the geometry as much like a 29 wheels would… Best of both???

will
    Free Member

As Catsplums said. Quite a lot of people are running 650B wheels in old Frame. I have thought about it, but my 26″ rear is close enough to the frame so don;t think i’d have space.

Loads of info here as well:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-69er-new-wheel-trends/

sv

Looks like 650B might be on the up (with Schwalbe releasing so many tyres in the size).

patriotpro
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Surely the difference between a 26inch and 650B could be gained by changing tyre size?
    This was the conclusion when ST mag reviewed one a while ago IIRC.

Wish bike companies would stop trying to redesign the wheel! (sorry)

Going by your theory a 650ber could be turned in to a 29er…

duncdan
    Free Member

What tyre sizes can u run on a 650b fork with a 26 fork? ?

CountZero

Read this on 29inches the other week.

Seems there will be a big push to sell us yet another ‘standard’.

http://twentynineinches.com/2012/01/26/650-b-youre-going-to-hear-a-lot-about-this-again/

Yet another standard? Redesign the wheel? Bloody hell, where have you lot been all these years? When I was a kid, and got given my first adult bike, it had 27×1?” wheels – 650B in modern terms. That would have been in the mid-60’s. It was the European touring bike standard wheel, and you’d have been pushed to find an adult bike with a different size wheel. Until the Americans decided that the 26″ wheel used on the balloon-tyre Schwinn cruisers ought to be the ‘industry standard’ for adult mountain bikes. Sadly, the wishbone seat stays on my two On-One frames preclude the use of 650B, otherwise they would have had them fitted years ago.

sv

Sadly, the wishbone seat stays on my two On-One frames preclude the use of 650B, otherwise they would have had them fitted years ago.

And Maxxis Advantage 2.4s…

andyl
    Free Member

I have been wondering if the C456 cant take 650B wheels as next on my list of upgrades after the winter is a new set of wheels and new forks….

There is plenty of clearance but obviously it will raise the BB so a slackset could be used or a low stack bottom headset cup and/or I could just make some new rear swapouts to move the rear wheel – might do this anyway and go for a 10mm bolt through skewer on the back.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘27.5 650b wheels, anyone even thinking of them?’ is closed to new replies.