Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 27.2 seatposts
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

was told today by my LBS that a carbon seatpost in 27.2 was'nt a could idea due to possible failure , is this true as I thought it would flex abit for my hardtail ?

druidh
    Free Member

Please, pleeeeease tell us who your LBS is

CHB

ignore them unless you are doing crazy jumps. I am 14st and have a fairly long carbon post on my bike, and two kids to prove that (so far) no damage!!).

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I thought so lol I had my wallet out to buy one but got turned away do they flex that much ? whats a good one ???

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

what tosh.

yes they have a bit more flex, but do gain strength from generally having a slightly thicker wall thickness.

I like 27.2 due to the flex, but you're just as likely to snap an ally one.

The bike industry seem to be the only people left in the world who think Ally is stronger/safer than carbon

takisawa2

I didnt like the flex so swapped for a Thomson. Never crossed my mind that it would fail. Work in engineering so can appreciate how strong the stuff is. I dont think I'd ever ride an alloy rigid fork, have given carbon forks some good hammering but wouldnt feel safe on a rigid alloy.

CHB

The flex is the best bit about a good carbon (or Ti) post. It really takes the buzz out of the trail, much comfier on a hardtail. I don't have ANY Aluminium posts on my bikes appart from a Thomson on my FS.

iain1775
    Free Member

had a 27.2mm carbon Kore IBeam post on both my HT and Full suss for 18 months with no issues. On the HT its almost ran at full height (and its a 400mm post)

Lifer
    Free Member

As soon as I've got the cash I'm getting a carbon post for the commuter, alu one is a bit harsh

druidh
    Free Member

I'm still waiting to hear which LBS this was 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

also run a 26.6mm carbon post on commuter x bike with no issues – that does go offroad

cynic-al
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member
    I didnt like the flex so swapped for a Thomson. Never crossed my mind that it would fail. Work in engineering so can appreciate how strong the stuff is. I dont think I'd ever ride an alloy rigid fork, have given carbon forks some good hammering but wouldnt feel safe on a rigid alloy.

what's the difference between forks and seatposts that makes this decision for you?

jordie
    Free Member

i have snapped two carbon posts and have never snapped a alloy one yet.When they let go there is a pretty loud crack

Edric64
    Free Member

Rigid alloy forks are fine on my crosser

Macavity
    Free Member

Carbon fibre (the high modulus stuff at least) is stiffer than steel, aluminium and titanium. Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic CFRP
    http://aluminium.matter.org.uk/content/html/eng/default.asp?catid=89&pageid=2144417038

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘27.2 seatposts’ is closed to new replies.