Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 27.2 droppers (yes, I know I'm a luddite)
  • jruk
    Free Member

Simple question: which one should I buy? I’m thinking the Hi-Lo, happy to be corrected though in true STW style.

Gravity Dropper Turbo – £225

Gravity Dropper Classic – £150

Hi-Lo – £170

Forca – £80

jairaj

People always seem to recommend the Gravity Dropper ones.

but, if you are looking for a budget option, I took a punt on a RSP Plumment after reading a good review in Dirt Mag:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Plummet-Remote-Dropper-Seat-Post_70234.htm

For the money its great. Its not as smooth and reined as my Reverb or my LEV but it does exactly what it says on the tin. You push a button and seat goes down, you push it again and it pops up again. Only had it a little while so can’t comment no long term reliability.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

T-Mars off ebay for <£50

Hoff

Interested to see the what others say as I’ve been thinking about getting a dropper post too…

This is the one I’ve been tempted to get Ice V8 £115 & reviews seem pretty good

MartynS

I’ve had a fairly horrid Experiance with a hi lo.
    Mate had a t-Mars.. It didn’t last.
    I’d go for the gravity dropper, or the Raleigh rsp dropper, seems to get good reviews for £100

rj
    Free Member

I’ve had a Hi-Lo for a couple of years, it’s been fine. Got it for 140 quid from Wiggle and other than a new cable I haven’t done much to it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My ks lev has been fine. Worth pushing the boat out a bit for one in my opinion.

docrobster
    Free Member

+1 for the hilo.
    I also got mine for £140 from wiggle. Has been ok, not gone wrong or stopped working. Doesn’t always go all the way up. Cable needed replacing, like all cables. Not as nice as reverb on other bike but Hobson’s choice I guess.
    I had a forca before that. It was a pita to change the cable and it broke a couple of times, first the saddle rail clamps then something internal and terminal. Ended up in the bin.

doom_mountain

I bought the RSP Plummet, less than than £80 from Tredz with a code.
    Works well, pretty clunky, but goes up and down 😀
    Three very wet months in and it still works.
    I took it apart to pop some grease in, was spotless inside, really easy to rebuild as well.
    Recommended.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is there a knack to getting it back together? I’ve just got one for my wife and obviously took it apart for a look (and grease and a longer cable). It’s a little tricky getting it back together with the three rods.

jruk
    Free Member

Thanks all – has anyone used a HiLo and a Gravity Dropper and if so how do they compare? 6 of one, half dozen of the other?

binners

I’ve had a Hi-Lo for a couple of years, it’s been fine. Got it for 140 quid from Wiggle and other than a new cable I haven’t done much to it.

Same here. mine was 140 off wiggle. Its been on for a couple of years, and all I’ve done is bang a couple of psi pressure in it about 12 months ago. And I’m a big fat clumsy sod who can break pretty much anything 😀

tomd
    Free Member

I got one of the 2014 TMars things off ebay for £54 posted last month. Actually looks better made than I’d expect for the money and you can get spares for it. It seems to work OK.

br
    Free Member

X-Fusion here, had it a year and ridden 2-3 times per week in muck and slop.

Haven’t bothered with the cable remote, just used the under-saddle lever. Works great, only maintenance is a wipe and lubricate the shaft with suspension fluid every-so-often.

P-Jay
    Free Member

+1 for the HI-LO latest version is better than the older ones I’m told – better seat clamp.

sideshow
    Free Member

Got a 2nd hand gravity dropper a few months ago. I love it. Super simple to service (unlike my 30.9mm reverb), you can strip clean and regrease the whole thing in a few minutes – though I only did this when it first arrived, haven’t needed to since. There are no oil or air seals to wear and fail.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Already read that one! I’ll just have to try and be more gentle I guess 🙂

gardron
    Free Member

Personally I thought the gravity dropper was a steaming hunk of shite, coming from a reverb on other bikes. Honestly the best 27.2 dropper I’ve used at the moment is the thomson, but I’ve not tried the hilo.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

/hijack mode on

Does anybody know when 27.2 Thomson Droppers will be available in the UK (CRC had 25/12/2014 but not now)

/hijack mode off

superfli
    Free Member

Another vote for Hilo. I’m sure mine was £130 off wiggle! 3rd winter old now and only had to change cable and pump it up a few times. It’s on the ht which gets most of the winter slop, so very impressed. It’s been more reliable than my reverb, which hasn’t been bad, just one service.

I do like x fusion stuff 🙂

chrishc777
    Free Member

Gravity dropper turbo here, brilliant bit of kit. Only let me down once and gravity dropper fixed it, serviced it and gave it a new shaft and posted it back to me (from the USA) all free of charge without asking questions, which was good as I had bought it second hand!

acidchunks

Nicest 27.2 dropper I’ve played with was the lev. Massive downside is that the air chamber is factory pressurised. There’s no valve to adjust pressure yourself so when it inevitably loses air it’s a warranty job.

I’ve owned a hilo which was great. Really well sealed and stood up to several winters without needing a service.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

/hijack mode on

Does anybody know when 27.2 Thomson Droppers will be available in the UK (CRC had 25/12/2014 but not now)

/hijack mode off

I was waiting for CRC/Wiggle to get them back in, but from what I understand they will only be doing the new model in 30.9 & 31.6, so after asking on here I got an old model from alltricks.fr, they still show stock although they have put the price up 🙁

Cheers.

Diane
    Free Member

There’s something strange going on with Thomson supplies of 27.2 – seems Wiggle aren’t stocking them any more (Was on the mailing list for new stock) and you’ll be hard pressed to find stocks anywhere – even seem a bit sparce in USA.

Managed to get one eventually from Hargroves Cycles (Full whack though)

nemesis
    Free Member

+however many for the hilo. It’s even better with a modified rapidfire shifter for the remote.

bigrich

nickhart
    Free Member

At 16.5 stone or whatever it is in new money I looked at the ks but was put off by the weight limit. Have gone for a Thomson and am so happy with it. It’s beautifully made and so smoooooth in operation I use it in the corners as well as the steeps it’s a game changer!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Was that weight limit quoted on a French or German site by any chance? There was a thread on mtbr about the KS weight limit, and a bloke from KS was saying there isn’t one.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Loving my Hi-lo. 1800 miles in 8months and all I’ve done is retensioned the cable and topped up the pressure.

tomd
    Free Member

I have to retract my post above about the £54 TMars thingy. 2nd proper wet ride today and it got stiffer and stiffer until it has pretty much seized. I opened it up (very easy to do) at home and it had all been greased but the grease had got really “gummy” when it got wet so too much friction with the bushes. I cleaned all the grease off and replaced with some silicone spray and it’s back to working again. Time will tell if it gets smoother as the bushing wear a bit.

mattjg
    Free Member

+1 for the HI-LO latest version is better than the older ones I’m told – better seat clamp.

Old style clamp is rubbish, I have one.

Mine started sinking into its travel after 18 months light use. I sent it to Upgrade for service, expecting to get a bill, they serviced it for no fee. On that basis I’d probably buy another as long as it was new clamp design.

Old clamp design is cups that fit over socket on the post, once they’re on it has to be disassembled (usually cups punched out) to adjust seat angle. Unless the seat bangs you in the **** when riding, that is the only time the seat angle will adjust without disassembly. Trust me on this.

This is the old design, avoid unless a bargain: http://m.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/XFusion-Hilo-Seatposts-Now-Available,188?mobile=true

This is the new design of which I have no experience but it’s gotta be better! http://www.freeborn.co.uk/x-fusion-hilo-100-125-seatpost-2014

vincienup
    Free Member

I didn’t like the operation of the hi-lo remote although everyone seems to agree that the most recent version with the new seat clamp is way better in terms of stability.

I had settled on the KS but eventually went for a newer frame to fit a Reverb…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘27.2 droppers (yes, I know I'm a luddite)’ is closed to new replies.