Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 26.8mm post in a 27.2mm frame – bad idea?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Well after a LOT of deliberation I just went and ordered myself a 456SS in that nice bright orange to try out the whole slack hardtail thing 😀

Anyway it has a 27.2mm seat post size. Can I safely use a 26.8mm post in it or will the .4mm make enough of a difference to cause slippage or damage to the frame?

Similarly will it be ok with a 30mm seat clamp where it should be using a 29.8mm?

druidh
    Free Member

Snappity-snap-snap

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. It’s all a con those different sizes.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I glued a piece of beer can on to my 26.8 post with araldite and it’s a very good fit. If you wanna raise and lower the post a lot it might be a bad idea though.I cut 3 sections of can to make it a bit more manageable and zip tied them down.

nickjb
    Free Member

27.2mm posts are pretty common and easy to get. Not worth bodging IMHO.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

hmm might be able to get away with 26.8 in 27.0 especially if you used a coke can. Not sure about 26.8 in 27.2 would be slipping alot

takisawa2

Not a cat in hells chance. Dont do it.
    27.2 has got to be the most common size out there.
    Spend another £30-£40 on a s/h Thomson.

30.0 clamp will be fine though.

_tom_
    Free Member

Will give it a miss then. Anyone got a 27.2 thomson they want to sell? 🙂

RUSHER4

No, but looking for 26.8!

_tom_
    Free Member

Going to keep mine for a while til I’ve decided whether the 456SS is going to stay (hopefully will!), but will give you a message then to see if you still want it.

Dasha
    Free Member

just get a bit of 0.2 mm shim steel shim steel that’s what I did with a use post I had and it worked fine.

Dasha
    Free Member

I have a genesis 27.2 seat post and I’ve got the seat clamp to match if you’re interested. I’ve also got a 26.8 use suspension post both are practically brand new.

theotherjonv

Dasha – I am if Tom’s not. Any details?

Dasha
    Free Member

Hi theotherjonv, I’ve emailed you on your profile E mail

mudmonster
    Free Member

My bodge hasn’t slipped, in fact it’s quite a tight fit.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

why bodge something you can buy for chips? You canpick a decent 27.2 post for a tenner SH on ebay. I once fitted a27mm in a 27.2mm and it was fine. 26.8mm will not do the job though. The 30mm seat clamp is fine though

foxyrider
    Free Member

I used a 27 in a 27.2 and it was blooming annoying as it kept slipping when I adjusting the height and also it has sl. deformed the tube as now its sl. too tight with a 27.2 so a 26.8 will not tighten up enough to be sweet! Try a DIY shim – that would prob work.

khani
    Free Member

Tom, check your WTD add

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘26.8mm post in a 27.2mm frame – bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.