Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 26" wheeled 2017 bikes
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Maybe I dreamt it but I’m sure there was a news piece on STW about a brand reverting to 26″ for 2017. Or at east bring out new 26″ models for the coming year. I can’t seem to spot it though so perhaps it was all a dream?

Leku
    Free Member

Cotic BeFe?

spawnofyorkshire

Are you thinking Jamis with their 26″ plus tyred bikes?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Jamis, that’s the chaps. I didn’t realise they were plus though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why would you?

tomhoward

Most of the supermarkets will have some in I guess?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Thanks for the typically STW replies chaps.

spawnofyorkshire

Thanks for the typically STW replies chaps.

Brexit/Hans Dampf/I hate Spesh and or Trek/Aeropress

kayla1
    Free Member

😆 ^

26″ ftw and if we’ll be able to get proper 26+ tyres over here it’ll be good cos I can fit them in my frame and I quite fancy a Cotic Flare with 26+ wheels…

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i’m in the queue for 26+ !

gibbonarms
    Free Member

i’m in the queue for 26+ !

So yesterday, I’ve been running a Surly Instigator wheelset in my 26 Cotic Rocket for most of the year, tremendous fun.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The 26+ thing shows the ridiculousness of 275 vs 26 which is to many people the same thing. All these standard changes have meant I have bought less bike stuff and no new bikes.

core

It is all ridiculous, but some believe that all the choice is the best thing ever.

Not so great when you’re on your 142/148/boost/B+/12 speed/35mm rimmed gnarpoon and need any parts a bit quick from LBS or trail centre shop…… They can’t keep it all.

I agree the choice means everyone can now find a bike that’s probably perfect for their main riding, but bloody hell it’s confusing.

fifeandy
    Free Member

All these standard changes have meant I have bought less bike stuff and no new bikes.

Same – i’ve bought a couple of very cheap winter bikes to ride until they die, but can’t see me spending serious money on a nice bike until wheel/hub standards stop changing every year.

scotroutes

OTOH I bought a lovely Boost B+/29er custom Ti frame, carbon Boost forks and built suitably wide wheels, a selection of B+ tyres and I’ve even gone 11-speed (I didn’t see the point in going from 9 to 10). If you’re happy with limited choice, fine. Some folk are revelling in what’s now possible though.

What does 26+ offer though? Very few 26″ or 27.5″ frames are going to offer decent tyre clearance on a truly Plus tyre on a wide rim. And forget running 2x gearing on a wide combo without Boost.

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member
    The 26+ thing shows the ridiculousness of 275 vs 26 which is to many people the same thing. All these standard changes have meant I have bought less bike stuff and no new bikes.

You sound like a man who needs a Surly 1×1. It fits the following:

24″x4″
    26″ skinny (ie normal mtb)
    26″x3″
    27.5″ skinny (ie normal mtb)
    27.5″ x 2.8″
    29er skinny (ie normal mtb)

I’ve had all those sizes in my 1998 1×1 – except the 24″x4″ which I have only read about on MTBR.

🙂

gelert
    Free Member

@ jambalaya is right. Especially annoying is the Boost hub standard after bringing in 27.5 inch rims on normal hubs first!!! Genius that was. All the change has made me hold onto kit longer than I ever thought I would and get the most from it instead of swapping frames because I can’t move much of value over from my 26ers. One is a model year 2014 Alpine 160 and the other a Five 2013.

I can’t seem to love the 650B format enough to commit. All the demo bikes feel so similar but the cost to switch from 26ers is enormous and each year you have to get your wheels re-built and buy new hubs.

I’m hoping the not out yet Strange 135 29er from Orange will demo well as when I cost up any 650B bike I just come back around to the fact that it’ll be only a tiny bit “better” than my current bikes that have modern geo already and it seems silly to change so I don’t. It could even be worse.

I’d have definitely bought a few different frames had I been able to move my wheels and forks over.

You can’t even buy an Orange Crush and move the parts to the Five 17 frame anymore with one being Boost and one not. They used to advertise that as a selling point. I think you end up with a Non boost rear and a Boost fork on a Crush ATM!!! LOLs.

Oh well… first world problems.

I have friends who just sell everything and don’t bother about it at all. I just can’t seem to make myself do that. I wish I could. Money is too hard to earn. I’m not tight. I think it’s a “getting value” thing for me.

Ah well… 26ers still rolling.

poah
    Free Member

bought a transition suppressor last year, everything swaped over from my old ghost. 26 wheels, threaded BB, standard axle sizes.

scotroutes

I have friends who just sell everything and don’t bother about it at all

I think you’ll find they’re in the majority.

Northwind

gelert – Member

@ jambalaya is right. Especially annoying is the Boost hub standard after bringing in 27.5 inch rims on normal hubs first!!! Genius that was

Yup, that was some of the most transparent bike industry bullshit I can remember.

“Hey, this plus size thing is cool, people can put different wheels in existing frames and do something interesting without needing to spend a fortune”
    “Wait, say that last bit again”
    “Without needing to spend a fortune.”
    “**** THAT. I know, we’ll make the hubs 8mm wider.”
    “But that won’t make any meaningful difference and they already know you can make 3 inch tyres work with a standard hub”
    “You’re right, it’ll never fly… I know, we’ll tell them it’s stiffer”
    “That’s so clever!”
    “I know! I’m a genius. All that remains is to do a bit of research into exactly how much we can take the piss…”
    “How about… We make the new front axle standard the same width as the 20mm axles we’ve spent the last 5 years destroying, even though they work better than 15mm axles?”
    “WOOOO PAY RISES FOR ALL!”
    “What will we do tomorrow?”
    “Let’s make 2.6 the new tyre size”
    “But we’ll have to make loads of new tyres, that’ll be such a hassle”
    “Nah, our R&D will be putting a 2.6 sticker on that 2.5 tyre”
    “But wait a minute… wait a minute… Didn’t we push all that Boost bullshit because it was better for 3 inch tyres? Isn’t this… wrong?”

<gunshot>

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

And GW has ditched 8 speed, the world’s gone mad I tell you.

Northwind

Signs will appear in the heavens, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, the stars will fall from heaven, the sea and the waves will roar and the powers of heaven will be shaken (Matt.24,29; Mark,13,24-25; Luke 21,25-26).

Also GW will buy a carbon fibre bike. (Cuthill.1)

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

So which year will normal 26″ be making a comeback as the best thing since sliced bread then 😆

mcj78
    Free Member

I remember having a look for the UK pricing of the ’17 Jamis bikes as some looked pretty tidy – Evans are showing the 27.5+ Dragonslayer Pro but the cheaper one has disappeared from their site, no sign of the 26+ version at all… wondering if it’s the same frame with the same kit, just very slightly different wheels – the dropouts might suggest so…

core

That ^ is FUGLY!

Is you’re bike too grippy, too composed, too stable? Does it smooth out all the trail chatter and small bumps making you feel like you’re hardly riding off road at all?

Introducing the *NEW* 26 x 2.3″ hardtail from……….

kayla1
    Free Member

😆

And the year after, along with Bold New Graphics, there’ll be new improved ‘lively’ head angles to really bring the trail alive…

core

Hangs head in shame at you’re/your fail. 😳

kayla1
    Free Member

Its’ ok. There, I’ve just misplaced an apostrophe to make you feel a bit better 😀

Northwind

Thats’ really nice of you

kayla1
    Free Member

Thank’s…

core

Wouldn’t be so bad if I hadn’t also noticed a there/their fail on another post from this morning. I need more sleep or more breakfast, or both.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

GW will buy a carbon fibre bike.

But he’ll put 26″ wheels on it resplendent with bald tyres. Bless him.

wiggles
    Free Member

Orange and whyte still do 26″ bikes.

They are for kids though

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Been running 26+ in my Surly 1×1 since the spring. More comfort AND agility than my 29er and no slower either.

26+ is the future. It’s just that hardly anyone knows that yet.

epicyclo

Mostly Balanced – Member
    Been running 26+ in my Surly 1×1 since the spring. More comfort AND agility than my 29er and no slower either.

Pretty much my conclusion too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

phew … 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘26" wheeled 2017 bikes’ is closed to new replies.