Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 26" wheel MTB sizing for 10 yo?
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

Is their a semi-reliable online guide to MTB bike sizing for kids? We’ll be buying second-hand as he seems to be outgrowing bikes quicker than we afford to replace them!

Even if someone can just let me know their kids height/inside leg and bike size (together with whether they find that too small/too big/just right) that would be huge help.

Master TuckerUK is 1.46m tall with a 66cm inside leg with shoes (that’s 4ft 9.5″ tall with a 26″ inside leg in old money).

z1ppy

No idea what use these are, but thought I’d post it anyways to get the ball rolling.

Islabike have him down for there smaller framed 26″ which
    http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/pdfs/sizes/Size_Chart_web.pdf

And this simplistic chart from Evans agree’s he’s just about the right size…
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product_document/file/2a5/a2a/637/19/childrens-bike-sizing-chart.pdf

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Nice one z1ppy, thanks for that.

br
    Free Member

Also you could get a pair of 24″ wheels to get him through?

TiRed

look for a 14 inch frame. at a stretch, a 15 will fit but you may need a shorter stem. my 10yo is 1.41m and a 24 inch wheeled kona hula is perfect. his friend is about 1.48 and rode his new 15″ ridgeback around Swinley on Sunday and was only slightly too long in the top tube/stem. Son1 is n average height 13.75yo and rides a 14″ Kona blast. He’ll get another year out of it before it gets handed down.

Your boy is in the middle. i’d go for a 14″ frame 26″ wheeled bike. Kona have this size, Specialized start at 15″.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

b r , it’s a thought, thanks.

djaustin, good info there, many thanks.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

We went with a 14″ Mongoose Rockadile ALX Disc in the end, £220 reduced from £300. The lad loves it!

Ticks all the right boxes for us: discs, aheadset, 24 speed cassette & freehub, sealed hubs, and beat any similarly priced (and some more expensive) alternatives on spec.

Thanks for the help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘26" wheel MTB sizing for 10 yo?’ is closed to new replies.