Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • 26 v 29. This should settle it once and for all.
  • For anyone who wants to come for a little paddle in my think tank, I thought I’d just run this up the flag pole and see who salutes.

STW, using their trade connections, get hold of two bikes, as near identical as possible, except that one is a 26er, the other is a 29er.
    They fit a Powertap to the rear wheel of each.
    They then do a number of test rides with different routes and riders to compare power outputs.

Now, here’s the good bit…

STW then lend the bikes to someone else to do the same.
    This could be someone they trust to borrow two bikes, or it could be someone who has paid a deposit as security.
    That person then does their own tests, and passes the bikes on to the next person.
    The only condition is that everyone logs their ride by GPS and uploads the results.

So, lets assume STW have done their tests and I’m next on the list.
    I send them £3000, or whatever, as security, they send me the bikes.
    I ride a local 10 mile loop on one then the other.
    I upload the GPS log of both rides to Endomondo or similar.
    The next person on the list only lives 20 miles away, so I deliver the bikes to save on postage.
    He sends £3000 to STW, I get a £2990 refund to allow for admin and wear & tear.
    While I’m there, we both do a short loop on each bike and upload the GPS log.
    He then goes on to do his own longer test, then passes the bikes on to the next person.
    And so it goes on, gradually accumulating more data.

I’m just using the forum as an effective runway for project take off. We’re a long way from ringfencing the unicorn on this one, but I thought it would be best to bowl a few ideas your way to see if anyone hits a six..

khani
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

26 v 29. This should settle it once and for all.

Your kidding aren’t you…

apart from the simple one of finding enough people the same size who like to ride similar trails on similar bikes in a similar way.

aracer
    Free Member

You’ve heard of the expression garbage in garbage out? I have a horrible feeling you’d just be generating slightly higher quality garbage.

sbob
    Free Member

For the love of God, somebody give that man some bacon. 😯

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I have no inclination to even try a 29er thanks as there’s nowt wrong with either of my 26ers.
    & I couldn’t afford another bike anyway.

somafunk

There is a flaw in your execution, you’re confusing marketing bullshit and the bike industry’s need to constantly sell us new stuff vs the fact that 99.9% of folk couldn’t give a toss as to the argument 26″r vs 29’r, for those .01% who fret about whether or not they have the correct bike i have come to this conclusion, you’ll never have the correct bike so stop worrying and just go ride.

epicyclo

MTG, I like your thinking, but just one modification.

Add a 20″ wheel bike to that line up to prove once and for all, small wheels are better. 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Too much “management speak” for my liking. I’m afraid anyone who talks like that simply can’t be trusted IME.

I’m just using the forum as an effective runway for project take off.
    We’re a long way from ringfencing the unicorn on this one,

but I thought it would be best to bowl a few ideas your way to see if anyone hits a six..

jamj1974

coolhandluke – Member
    Too much “management speak” for my liking. I’m afraid anyone who talks like that simply can’t be trusted IME.

You do know he’s joking? 😉

nickc

pretty much seals the deal for me…

Should we start a new thread? does owning a 29er turn you into a troll?

chief9000
    Free Member

Damn,

I just had a rant on a similar thread about this crap….

chief9000
    Free Member

wait a minute, I just had a thought.

In all what I have said so far, I have gone on about numbers and evidence and the lack of it.

Well, while I was making a brew it came to me. We don’t need evidence. People generally believe what they want to believe regardless of if any evidence exists or not. Even when there is overwhelming evidence against their beliefs, they will discount it, however robust, and believe any old crap that supports their hypothesis.

bigblackshed

MTG.

I’m liking your blue sky, joined up thinking. There’s general saluting in my corner. I’m liking the choice between big or small. Bigger is always better, unless its tech. Then it needs to be slimmer. Big but slim. There is no point doing exhaustive scientific testing if you limit the possiblities. Surely there’s another way? Something in the middle between big and small. Can we send out smoke signals and brainstorm this thing?

kayak23

Yeah but which bike do you ride the loop on first? Presumably you’ll be fresher on the first loop and so your experiment would be false.

OR

The second loop you know the trail and current conditions better and can wang it on the second loop and so your experiment would be false.

OR

Nobody cares about this experiment and so your experiment is false 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s a silly test because we all now know that 650b is faster than both of them.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Or we could all meet up for a fun bike ride and a beer.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Who the he’ll can afford as powertap let alone lend it out

asterix
    Free Member

No, no I have it – it will all work but only if we use pairs of identical twins

rOcKeTdOg

29 v 26 who cares really, i’d just prefer to be riding a bike, whatever size wheels its got

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good one Graham, and you got biters too! Pity the game was given away too early as this could have been a giggle.

oldnpastit

You can do all this research and publish your results but I’d be amazed if it changed the way everything is going.

[Disclaimer: I have a 29er single speed and a 26er geary HT and both are lovely bikes that I really enjoy riding].

emac65
    Free Member

It’s obvious the one that is the quickest is the fastest……………

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I’m in. Who do I send the money to?

colp

I don’t think everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet here.

clubber
    Free Member

Anyone who’s met MTG will know that the management speak is a very obvious pee take 🙂

heavy_rat – bank account and personal details to the email in my profile, please.

MTG – To get statistically relevant data you’d need to do many back to back rides on both bikes, not just one and then pass them on. Even then, conditions, fatigue, etc are not consistent.

Besides, everyone knows that 36er are the fasterest.

You do know he’s joking?

I would have got away with it too, if it wasn’t for these meddling kids.

I didn’t take it too seriously because I now it will never happen.
    However; Most manufacturers supply test bikes to magazines, they also supply demo bikes to shops or for dedicated demo days.
    Wiggle do a 30 day return policy on new bikes.
    The idea of lending someone a bike or two for a few days is not revolutionary.

The Powertap’s the big thing though.
    I think they’re about £1000 and the nature of the test means you’d need two of them, but without it, we’re back to anecdotes.
    Isn’t there some new cheaper pedal mounted alternative ? Maybe that would work.

Or, to modify the original idea and do away the magazine’s involvement, how about one of the big manufacturers takes a couple of PowerTap wheels to one of their demo days.
    They could swap the wheels between bikes and build up same data over time.

jameso

Shimano’s engineers need to make a test rider with those colleges full of 11 year olds that make dancing robots.. a robot test rider, that’s one massive variable removed ) only a bit more expensive than 2 powertap set ups too.

Euro
    Free Member

Did someone mention robot test rider?

DD209

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Already done the Powertap thing: http://magazine.bikeradar.com/2012/11/15/matt-pages-wheel-size-test-the-results/.

It would be nice to return to that and test in a different course. At the end of the day though, those who are willing to listen will take the results on board for what they are but you will always have people who think the bike industry is trying to rob them of every penny they have or the test was biassed or any other obscure idea.

Is 29er faster most of the time? Yes.
    Is 650b noticeable over 26″ to me? Yes.
    Does everyone need to change? No. But personal experience is that everyone who has moved to 29er has converted.

specializedbear
    Free Member

Hi MidlandTrailquestGraham, If you don’t mind I would like your advice on a totally different subject.
    I recently bought a Lynskey Ridgeline 29 and (having previously ridden a Alfine 8 for sometime with no probs), fitted a new Alfine 11 to the Lynnskey. To say the Alfine 11 has been a crap would be an understatement!
    Am I right in thinking that you have a Rohloff HG and have done a fair bit of riding on it? If so what do you reckon, has it been reliable/robust? Is the talked about drag feel in some gears for real and is it much of an issue? etc
    I do like the HG concept, don’t mind the little extra weight. I now just want a Hub gear that does what it is supposed to and lasts!
    Any feed back would be appreciated.

Trimix
    Free Member

mtbmatt – But personal experience is that everyone who has moved to 29er has converted.

Does that mean that everyone who has not moved is converted to 26.

andrewh
    Free Member

Is 29er faster most of the time? Yes.
    Is 650b noticeable over 26″ to me? Yes.

Most of the time? Maybe. All of the time? Unlikely.
    Some courses suit 29″, some 26″. Some suit FS, some HT. Some say a 650b is the perfect inbetween, some say it’s a half-arsed compromise.
    Sometimes a 24″ rigid bike is just the most fun..
    Seriously, as a racer I would love to know the answer as to which is fastest, but I suspect that like the FS/HT toss-up it will depend on the rider, the course, the weather, far too much stuff to measure acurately.
    Your test is one of the best I’ve seen so far Matt, but there is still a lot unaccounted for (and probably unmeasurable anyway, like the fatigue Vs course knowledge balance, as one goes up so does the other)
    Another one I’ve just thought of is familiarity. Someone who is used to 29″ will probably be able to push the 29er harder, someone who is used to 26″ will be able to push the 26er hardest. Maybe we need roadies or BMXers to do the test for us to remove these variables?

jimmers
    Free Member

Am I the only one who keeps getting sucked into reading these 26er-v-29er threads?

Note to self: ignore any threads with the 26er or 29er included into the thread title…

andrewh
    Free Member

To be fair, this is one of the better ones Jim…

Harry_the_Spider

29 v 26 who cares really, i’d just prefer to be riding a bike, whatever size wheels its got

This.

Also, don’t forget the shed test. You need a 6ft shed filled with a scientifically derived amount of ancillary crap and you have to be able to fit both bikes in it*.

No good having a snazzy new bike if you have to leave it out in the garden for birds to poo on.

*Not all of us are allowed to keep their [sorry] quiver of steeds [/sorry] in the house.

Rachel

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe we need roadies or BMXers to do the test for us to remove these variables?

We could get the roadies to test the technical downhill and twisty bits and the BMXers the fireroad climbs. That would certainly help to eliminate the variables.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Does that mean that everyone who has not moved is converted to 26.

What I meant is anyone who has tried 29er for any length of time – not just a short demo or a hop around a car park is convinced of the benefits.

Seriously, as a racer I would love to know the answer as to which is fastest, but I suspect that like the FS/HT toss-up it will depend on the rider, the course, the weather, far too much stuff to measure acurately.
    Your test is one of the best I’ve seen so far Matt, but there is still a lot unaccounted for (and probably unmeasurable anyway, like the fatigue Vs course knowledge balance, as one goes up so does the other)

If you want to know, try and do some testing yourself. Thats the only way that you will really convince yourself, but I’d be prepared to bet money on the outcome. The testing was a thorough as I could make it. Fatigue was not an issue, nor is course knowledge.

svalgis
    Free Member

SO **** TIRED OF THESE THREADS

Toasty

I had a quick test on a Trek 69er, the bike was FAR faster forwards than backwards, indicating the 29er wheel was much faster.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘26 v 29. This should settle it once and for all.’ is closed to new replies.