Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 26" Tyres come up as 650s?? Won't Fit. AAAAAARGH!
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

Bought a pair of Michelin World Tour Rigid 26 x 1.5 Tyres to go on a friend’s bike so he could ride on the road. I said I’d fit them too and that it would be “no problem”.

Well, they arrived. The label round them says 26 x 1.5 but on the sidewall it says “650 x 35B – 26×1 1/2”.

They DON’T FIT 😈

Way too big for the 26″ rims they’re meant to go on.

What am I missing?

faustus

Because 650b came from a very old touring size, and when you put a low profile/road tire on a 650b wheel, it comes up as around 26″, hence the problem, bit of a confusing label though. Tyre volume makes all the difference!

Now sit back and wait for another 650b wheel size debate to begin.

cliffyc
    Free Member

MTB tyres are usually iso size 559mm diameter and yours are around 589mm (larger around 650B size).You are fitting these tyres to a mountain bike I’m guessing.I used to work in a LBS and customers often got sizing wrong on older tyres.Michelin World tours don’t come in MTB sizes as far as I am aware.You should be able to swop yours for MTB sized slicks (sizes are usually marked as metric,eg 26 x 1.5 ).Hope this clears it up .

cynic-al
    Free Member

Show us the url

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Yeah, makes sense.

They were listed as 26 x 1.5 on the website with no mention of 650b but it was a trade site so I guess they expect people to know what they’re ordering. 😳

thomthumb
    Free Member

MTB tyres are usually iso size 559mm diameter and yours are around 589mm

this

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I can’t show you the URL as you have to log into the site at CycleSport North.

CSN

Yeah it also says 35-584 on the tyre which is another clue.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Try some Schwalbe cityjets, they’ve been good for me for road work, and come in 26″ flavour.

roverpig

Ah yes, the old 26 x 1 1/2 vs 26 x 1.5 trap. Sound the same, but they are not. Although it sounds as though the person who put the label on these was fooled too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘26" Tyres come up as 650s?? Won't Fit. AAAAAARGH!’ is closed to new replies.