Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 26" spares
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have a Mk3 Superlight and Genesis 10 and have come to the conclusion that I am very unlikely to be changing from 26″ wheels in the foreseeable future. I have just changed the forks on the Superlight and everything still has a bit of life in it but am aware that certain things may become hard to get hold of. so, what should I stock up on and indeed are there any must-buy bargains at the moment?

core

Tyres, forks, rims.

alanf
    Free Member

Rims, tyres, forks – I’m thinking these are what are 26″ dependent. Most other things should be interchangeable.
    Hubs might go the same way, what with the new 142 rear and boost stuff coming through, but that’s not really 26″ specific.
    I’m with you on 26″ though. I’ve got enough wheels and tyres and bikes on 26″ to not be looking to change any time soon. I’ll keep them going as long as I need to.

wwaswas

I’m running 650B forks with 26″ wheel in one frame.

I’d be much more worried about a 1/8″ headtube meaning that you can’t get any decent forks than the wheel size they take.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stans just released their new updated rims in 26
    Maxxis did the same with tyres I think
    Forks are about the only thing but I just swapped some beer for some straight steerer bombers
    Not worried here

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

The combination of 26″, 1 1/8″straight steerer, 120 travel fork(picking 2 was less difficult) was a big problem and that’s what sparked off my train of thought.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have numerous sets of 26 tyres and tubes, enough to last me 5-10 years ? If you don’t just buy a few sets. I have one spare set of wheels. Straight steerer 1 1/8th forks are hard to buy new but plenty s/h. Just watch ads & ebay. The fox forks on my “Alps” bike are 10 years old this year, stuff last a lot longer than we think

the-muffin-man

Save the money you plan to spend on stockpiling and buy a new bike! 😀

MoreCashThanDash

It was the 1 1/8th QR fork that killed me when I rebuilt my Soul last year.

Thank God for ze Germans!

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Yep, had to go 15mm on the fork, luckily my Hope hubs were compatible-well 2 out of 3 pairs were!
    TMM-believe me, I don’t intend spending that much-have you seen the price of a new bike lately! If I bought one with the current spec of my beloved Superlight I would have a fit!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah I’d say the straight steerer is going to be the biggest problem rather than 26″ forks, RS are still knocking out 26″ forks. One consideration is spares for your fork, I think I heard that Mojo can’t service some of the oldest 36’s because they don’t make all the bits for them anymore – admittedly they’re 10 year old forks now. You might consider buying a small pile of seals for your forks and keeping up with the maintenance, but if they’re new, you should expect to see at least 5 years from them, disaster aside, and that’s past “foreseeable future” in my book.

As for the rest, I wouldn’t be too concerned, I’d bet the majority of bikes being ridden are still 26″ – the first major switch to 650b I think was 2014 model year bikes, not massively long ago and there were still new 26″ bikes coming out in 2015 (and still are now) we may think ‘the industry’ released 650b as a evil plot to create the idea of our bikes as being old and outdated, but they’re not evil enough (or perhaps they just don’t have that much of a cartel attitude) to actively destroy the existing ones by making them obsolete – if there’s money to be made selling bits for ‘old’ standards, then someone will serve that market.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I think a lot of people like myself who have been mountain biking for 20+ odd years have gradually built up their bikes & spares situation over a number of years to how they like it and are quite frankly reluctant to start that all over again, especially as mountain biking seems not to be quite as popular as during the Halcyon days, I confess my love for it waxes & wanes a bit these days whereas 10 years ago all I wanted to do was ride my mountain bike. Any big new money is likely to be spent on a road bike to be quite honest.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I think I heard that Mojo can’t service some of the oldest 36’s because they don’t make all the bits for them anymore

I had this problem last year. I rebuilt my old 2005 Enduro for a trip to Les Arcs & sent the Fox 36’s to Mojo for a service.They said they had no spares for the cartridge so I ended up upgrading the cartridge.
    The other week the TALAS started playing up so now that’s getting sorted..
    I’ll end up with a really good fork upgraded with later cartridge on 1&1/8 steerer. So (hopefully) you should be able to keep upgrading the internals.

Junkyard
    Free Member

1 1/8th QR fork

THESE

I have a spare set already for mine and these are what will ultimately be the killer

I suspect you will always be able to get them but it will be at a cost so high. or a quality so low, you might as well get a new bike

jambalaya
    Free Member

@chief just sold his straight steerer 2012 Fox’s for £200+ lots of demand. The Soul frane and headset went for £185 I was outbid in final 30 seconds. For the right bits the market is reflecting customer interest

@Busta – that’s interesting re Mojo

rossburton
    Free Member

As an owner of a mk3 Superlight I feel your pain. My forks had to be replaced over Christmas (from the vast choice of pretty much one fork remaining to buy new) and again, thank you Hope for being convertible so I didn’t need to rebuild a wheel at the same time.

It looks like tyres are fine, there’s still plenty of bikes out there running 26er.

mattyfez

Seems to be a fair few Here

bimster29
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat with 11/8 straight steerer, QR 26 inch wheeled forks. I was thinking that when my Rebas finally fail then I could use one of the headset converters that allow you to use a tapered steerer in an integrated head tube, although this will alter the geometry slightly as the lower headset will be lower.

On the QR front, it could be time for a wheel upgrade then as well 😉

TheDTs
    Free Member

Similar issue here, my two mountain bikes have 1 1/8th steerer, QR and 26″ wheels.
    They both have Talas so hopefully if one goes pop, I will at least be able to keep one bike working (The Soul) and replace the full sus. if parts are not available.
    had an issue last week with replacing a 9sp rear mech though, LBS could only get Deore from their supplier, which knocked the frame, CRC did have XT Shadow though, so am waiting for that to arrive.

senorj

my two mountain bikes have 1 1/8th steerer, QR and 26″ wheels

Me too 🙁 I plan to go rigid when my forks die. Bastids.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Sounds like I was lucky to pick some forks up then–interesting stuff seeing as I nearly put it off for a while. Sounds like a lot of people in a similar situation.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are Suntours actually any good then ?

I feel daft even asking this anyone know/used them?

I have some old Fox 100 mm that are serviceable but not special and some old U turn pikes which are magic but heavy

rossburton
    Free Member

FWIW the new forks I got at Christmas were RockShox Revelations, still available in 26er with a straight steerer, although only 15mm maxle so you may need a new hub (or something like a Hope hub where you can swap end caps). Comes with 140mm travel but replacement air shafts are there to adjust – mine is 120mm.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

It’s only really brands owned by bike manufacturers, Trek Bontrager for example that have dropped 26″ parts completely, as it suits their core business of new bike sales.

There are so many 26’ers around the globe, there will be demand for parts for a long time yet. You no doubt won’t be able to get stuff from every brand further down the line though!

SRAM/RS only partially supporting 26″ is not a good sign! I’m sure 26″ Yaris would sell by the boat load! Although a 27.5 fork will work with 26″ wheels anyway, so no biggie.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘26" spares’ is closed to new replies.