• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 26 into 27.5 (I'm sure it's been done before) will it kill me
  • wukfit
    Free Member

I’m just about to buy a second hand 650B frame and fork, mainly through boredom, but can’t afford new wheels or a rebuild with new rims (shouldn’t really be buying the f+f)
    Am I right in thinking I can run these on my 26″ wheels without any real concerns? I know the bb will be lower, but apart from that and maybe tyre clearance what else am I missing?
    Cheers

deviant
    Free Member

It’ll be fine, the angles stay the same as both front and rear of the bike are dropping by the same amount….as you rightly said, the bottom bracket drops but depending on the frame or where you ride this might actually be a good thing.

Tyre clearance should be better, a smaller wheel in a bigger space so to speak…a rider won the Mega a few years ago in appallingly muddy conditions by putting 26 inch wheels in his 650b for added mud clearance.

I’m currently running 26 inch wheels in a Dartmoor Hornet 650b hardtail frame, no probs, go for it.

wukfit
    Free Member

Awesome, that’s what I figured
    Now to convert a hope proII evo 135qr rea or 142×14, is that the X12 conversion kit?

nwill1
    Free Member

If you run large volume tyres the circumference difference will be minimal compared to a smaller 650b tyre.

chrishc777
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, just mind pedal strikes. What frame is it? Anything like a Transition Scout already has a very low BB

RicB

Do you definitely need the fork?

Loads of 26″ forks will take a 27.5″ wheel with a moderately chunky tyre. Although the offset might not be ideal (not convinced how much difference this makes anyway). Might allow you to run your existing forks and then pick up some good deals in the xmas sales…

Look out for some shorter cranks too, the German sites often do them quite cheap

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘26 into 27.5 (I'm sure it's been done before) will it kill me’ is closed to new replies.