Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 26 HT – sell, split or MTFU and keep?
  • SandCrab

So, I have a 26 inch Soul as my proper mountain, Stans wheels, SLX build etc so not a bad bike at all. But, I took it to Afan (W2) with a group yesterday and it totally smashed me! I completely accept that more skill on my part would have helped, but the constant need to be out of the saddle and fear of dinging my rear wheel took some of the fun out of the ride.

So I’m looking at full suss options, but I’m tight. I’ve bought frames and swapped parts for the last few changes but this would prob be a move to 27.5 so I’m looking at frame, fork and wheels at least. So, is it worth splitting the Soul and using controls and drivetrain or am I looking at a better deal for buying off the peg? Initial thoughts are Whyte T130 or Bird Aeris but very early days so just window shopping. I don’t ride enough to justify 2 bikes, so that is not really an option.

Or should I dry my eyes and ride better? Is it just a new bike itch?

Thoughts?

deviant
    Free Member

Revel in the fact you ride terrain on a 26 HT that others need FS and bigger wheels for…..you are a riding God, you just need some conditioning work.

(I may also ride a 26 HT so have some bias, probably)

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

W2 should be happily doable on a hardtail. Might just be time for a new (bigger) rear tyre, rather than a new bike?

W2 is *probably* more fun on full sus though.. Maybe new bike time anyway? 😉

andyl
    Free Member

N+1

I don’t think anyone should be without a hard tail for no nonsense riding and a soul is one of the best to have sat there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone should be without a hard tail for no nonsense riding and a soul is one of the best to have sat there.

My trusty HT is sat in storage, forkless and unbuilt. Since I got the 26″FS dream bike (at the time) and the 100mm XC 29r I just don’t ever get the urge – well not enough to build it. If I was to rebuild it would need to come in light and tough so the cash has other priorities. Think it’s been 2 1/2 years since I last used it.

Northwind

Reading with interest, I’m trying to make the same decision- hadn’t ridden my HT for 6 months and was pretty much ready to sell, then took it out for a ride yesterday and had an absolute blast. Now I’m conflicted…

If there’s one good thing about 26ageddon, it’s that bikes that formerly would have made us feel guilty if we didn’t ride them, are now worth less so it feels less of a waste!

OTOH, yes, do MTFU 😆 Maybe a bit more rear tyre, I like at least a 2.3 in a HT, it does help. But at the end of the day it’s supposed to be fun, there’s no reason to make it hard- if you’re not enjoying riding it then kick it out

andyl
    Free Member

That’s just a collection of bits and not a full working bike and you have another bike so 2 working ones.

I’ve got a 150/140 travel 650b, 100mm 29er hardtail and my old c456 hardtail.

The 29er is my cheapest bike built from spare parts but is my most used bike for local rides. Recently a friend has been coming up for rides so I give her the 29er as I k ow it will roll over anything and giver her confidence and I have been taking out the old c456 and bloody love it. Glad I didn’t get rid of it and actually picked up some used 150mm rlt-ti forks with a 20mm axle and some beefier wheels to take out the flex in the front end from the old mavic 717s on a QR rev fork so I could ride it harder without it feeling like a sloppy noodle up front.

If you had all the bits I would say put it back together and try it, you might regain the love for it.

Also as NW says, the used prices are just so rubbish it makes more sense as a spare of you don’t already have a backup. I upgraded mine due to prices falling through the floor.

pickle
    Free Member

Just ride it and enjoy it, I’ve done Afan twice on my 26″ HT and loved it.

Don’t fall for the hype 😉 MTFU and enjoy the 26″ HT 🙂

martinhutch

You wouldn’t get that much for the frame anyway. If W2 is the most techy you want to get, then HT should be more than enough. Being up and down out the saddle on the descents will make you fitter and stronger over the long run (at least that’s what I keep telling myself) Always feels like hard work at this point in the year, though.

Was out on my 26 Soul yesterday. What I really need is a bike that won’t flick dictionary-sized rocks into my shin.

twonks

I went out on my HT for the first time in ages yesterday (which is a 26″ wheeled Soul with stans arch EX and SLX also)

After not riding it for about 6 months it was nice for the difference compared to FS (also 26″)

Admittedly it was only round Cannock so not Afan level of lumps and bumps, but it was surprisingly good to be on a HT again.

The only comment I’d make is that I feel a HT will be a lot more rewarding the fitter one gets as it is more energy sapping to ride fast compared to a FS.

However, if the new bike scratch has got you, there is only one solution…. spend spend spend.. 😆

MoreCashThanDash

Last year I threw money to upgrade at my Mk1 Soul as I couldn’t find anything that would ride as well for the budget I could get together. I’m more of a mince-core lite kind of rider rather than a red route smasher, but it’s worked for me.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Replace it with a fat bike. I had a riot on my 400 quid Wazoo around Afan – left my Alpine160 in the lock-up. It might have bouncy tyres but it’s rigid.

rickmeister

Stick an Exotic / Carbon cycles fork on teh front and go fully no–sus for a change. Its not that bad….

kayla1
    Free Member

Steel 26″ hardtail, what’s not to like?* New bike itch I think- buy a cheaper-than-new(used)-but-new-to-you FS bike but never sell your Soul.

* shut up, all you plastic FS mince tank riders 😀

br
    Free Member

I got to the same place as you about 18 months ago, having pretty much destroyed all the lightweight components on my HT after having moved to Scotland (from the SE of England).

In the end I bought a FS (s/h 26″), but kept the HT.

Ridden both all year, but for rocky descents you can’t beat a FS.

Klunk
    Free Member

you’ll regret it if you sell it. but it will make someone else happy.

mintimperial

I’ve still got mine, a 26 Soul like yours, mine’s a mk3. I originally intended to take parts off it for an FS build, but by the time I’d bought frame, forks and wheels and a few other necessary bits I wasn’t far off having a whole new bike, so I decided to keep the Soul too. It’s languishing at the back of the garage at the moment after a hard winter, but I’m going to strip and rebuild it and then keep it cos it’s still an ace bike. Also I wouldn’t get much at all for the frame and 26″ bits if I sell them on.

RustySpanner

Is it a small?
    They’re rubbish, everyone knows that.
    I’ll get rid for you.

If not, they’re classics man.
    Go and tell it you’re sorry, give it a hug, a clean, buy it some big tyres and we’ll say no more about it.

But buy another bike as well, obviously.
    🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just buy a 26″ full sus frame for peanuts, swap your bits over, flog/keep the soul for nostalgia, job done. Who cares if you’re not rolling on the latest wheel size. Cheapest option open to you for sure.

I’m still riding a 26″ bike, it’s a better bike than I’ll ever be a rider so don’t see the point in changing until I can’t get bits anymore.

RustySpanner

If you do flog it, just be careful.
    [video]https://youtu.be/Yd60nI4sa9A[/video]

VanHalen

depending on the size you need i have a large 2006 giant trance in my shed you can try for £80 posted.

i`m lucky to have a garage full of various bikes to ride as i see fit.

generally i ride the HT for commuting (involving razzing in the woods) and the fs for mainly razzing in the woods. teh rigid jump bike for being shit at the skatepark.

iainc

similar HT to you, Mk3 Soul with 120 Reba’s and reverb, xt group. Have ridden it most of the winter although dry trails meant that the 650B Anthem SX was in use yesterday. I like them both and if I was to replace the Soul it would probably be with a 650B version of same, which wouldn’t feel any different to ride anyway 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You need to ask yourself what you want from your bike in the context of the riding you do.

How much of your riding is it good for? 90%? Is it only the occasional away day when it becomes a problem? Can you accept that, or must you have a machine that is capable of the maximum level of technicality you’re likely to ride on an away trip? Do you just want an FS? All of these are possible choices.

IMO, if you trade up to an FS and only have the one bike, you run the real risk of the FS being too competent for your normal riding, and that can push you into getting bored with your local loops. Obviously, if you’re in the lakes or any rocky areas, this may be a moot point, but you give the impression that you found Afan rough, which suggests your local riding is perhaps smoother.

Having just one bike for all riding is always going to be a compromise somewhere and is really the original driving factor for n+1 (apart from WANT).

There is some good advice on this thread already in respect of things like bigger, lower pressure tyres, etc… but if you don’t know what 650B or 29 FS and hardtails ride like, you don’t have enough information to decide what will be best for you.

Got some mates with different bikes to try some? Personally, if you are stuck with one bike I would be buying one of the new-skool trail 29er hardtails with big tyres. It’s no FS, but you can still wring their necks on easier local terrain and on technical terrain they have a higher ceiling before hitting the limit.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Seems a perrenial question – for good reason.

I’ve spent way too long deciding similar positions myself. The answer is: There is no right or wrong answer.

You like/love cycling, there are lots of different types of bikes out there, you have a natural urge to try something else.

The real question(s) normally are:

Can you comfortably afford to change?

If not, are you prepared to be skint in order to acheive new bikedom?

Unless you can live with the ‘what if?’ scenario then you probably just need to stop beating yourself up and bite the bullet.

Ahhhh. That’s quite cathartic.

21212a
    Free Member

Reading this with interest.
    Currently have an ’08 Soda (titanium Soul) with Hope/full XTR. It’s a beautiful bike.
    However the new Rocket 275 has caught my eye and I’m now really struggling to decide whether it’s something that will be a worthwhile addition or whether I’m just being swayed by the sinister forces of the bike industry.
    Bought the Soda as a ‘one bike’ that would last a long time. Maybe I was kidding myself.

Kahurangi

If anyone wants to flog their redundant and archaic XS Soul let me know.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

2 options….

1) Don’t go to Afan..saved you a lot of money on that one.. 🙂

2). Spend the cost of new bike on lessons – to become a hardtail God…that surely would be way more satisfying than paying for a new bike…

br
    Free Member

Bought the Soda as a ‘one bike’ that would last a long time. Maybe I was kidding myself.

It’s already in its 9th year…

dannyh
    Free Member

Just get some kind person to burgle your house and nick your beloved 26er in the process………..

Having said that, the 650b I replaced it with is also awesome(!)

oldfart

Think yourself lucky ! I’ve got 2 Ti HTs one is 29 the other 26 and a 27.5 FS and I’m wondering if I should flog the 29er and get a slack long travel 650B 🙄

cookeaa

All the time wasted, pouring over MBR, pulling together money, splitting and flogging off your “obsolete” kit you could have been riding, improving and gaining fitness… Wait till winter to change bikes now I reckon…

21212a
    Free Member

“Bought the Soda as a ‘one bike’ that would last a long time. Maybe I was kidding myself.

It’s already in its 9th year…”

b r – Of course you’re right. It’s done very well. I just have this romantic idea that bicycles are simple and timeless engineering and the antithesis of most of the objects of desire in the modern world that are out of date and then obsolete all too quickly.
    Nine years isn’t a bad run and perhaps no shame in going back to update from the same manufacturer.

Having said that, my father is currently clinging onto his Apple laptop that is 11 years old. I’d hope my bike can keep going a bit longer than that !

thomthumb
    Free Member

I took it to Afan (W2) with a group yesterday and it totally smashed me!

afan is tough if your not used to it. I rode it last weekend on my 29er hard tail & it totally smashed me! My arms are sill sore from the wall.

could swap to a 2nd hand 26er FS frame. some bargains to be had on eBay.

SandCrab

So, after having a bit longer to think about this and the comments above:

1. New bike not required – the Soul is perfect for 95% of my riding, and a FS would be wrong for most of it. Ive recently moved from Shropshire to Wiltshire and the riding is pretty limited down here – lack of challenging riding has lulled me into a false sense of talent!

2. I was chasing better riders on big bikes, line choice came second to attempted speed and I paid the price in comfort. I was at fault, not the bike.

3. I need to ride more, with better riders, on harder terrain.

4. Larger volume rear tyre/wider rim is well worth a look.

4. I’ll use the money I would have spent to save for the Soul’s replacement – dependent on where I am living at the time.

Cheers ST!

kayla1
    Free Member

Woo! 26″ steel HT FTW! 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘26 HT – sell, split or MTFU and keep?’ is closed to new replies.