Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 26" Frames Advice Please…
  • boblo
    Free Member

I know, I know. 26″ is soooo passé but I’ve loads of wheels and don’t want to buy any more.

Looking for a 26″ frame for off road touring must be:

– Steel
    – lightish
    – For 26“ wheels
    – Clearance for 2.3″ tyres
    – C/w a rigid fork
    – Takes discs
    – Has a derailleur hanger
    – Can take a 20/32/44 triple
    – Has braze ons for racks, bottle cages and panniers
    – Be cheapish and preferably new/current

Does that exist oh wise one’s?

duntstick
    Free Member

Surly Troll?

Dickyboy

surly troll ticks all the boxes apart from being lightish?

I know where you are coming from re wheelsize but surely wouldn’t a 29er rigid be perfect for touring? for the sake of a pair of rims & rebuild?

binners

An Orange P7 ticks all those boxes

duntstick
    Free Member

,ish for touring off road didn’t seem bad, very versatile, anything cages on the front on the new forks too

Frame with collar—5.6lb (2460gr)

Fork– 2.53lb (1145gr)

boblo
    Free Member

Any more please? The Troll spec says min chain ring size is 28. How’s that work then if I want to go down to 20? Anyone know the difference between a non 1.0 and a 1.0 please? The one thing I really don’t like about the Surly is the slot dropouts which will no doubt be a royal PIA when used with disks/mudguards etc.

duntstick
    Free Member

Just for info, I’ve made up bit of a ‘Trollalike’ using a 853 Pastey Howler, I’ve got around the rear rack thing with an ‘Old Man Mountain’ rack, Sherpa and used a Surly Troll fork on the front. Very cheap way of achieving similar thing. Could be an alternative way to do it, maybe with an ‘On-One’

Pickers

The Troll spec says min chain ring size is 28

Is this the maximum chain ring size for the inner? I have an Ogre (identical but 29″) and run a 22/32/44 mtb chainset with room to spare.

The slot dropouts are bit of a PITA for wheel removal, but no worse than with track ends on a fixed bike. The brake is on the chainstay – no issue at all.

Very pleased with mine, did 550 miles round Scotland on it in May, with no bike issues at all.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Genesis Altitude would fit your list if you are looking for second hand. Usually come up quite cheap.

I have the first version in 853 with a Salsa Cro-moto fork. Not sure about the later version with the plate chain-stay.

Dickyboy

Genesis Altitude isn’t current but would tick all the boxes otherwise – just be aware that not all of them have the rack mounts on the rear stays

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘26" Frames Advice Please…’ is closed to new replies.