Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 26" DJ hardtails, what's good at the minute?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

After a very demotivating jump session yesterday I realised it’s probably time for me to give up on 20″ for dirt jumps as I just have no confidence on it any more. The very nice tax rebate I’ve just received means I can probably get away with spunking a bit of money on a new complete rather than my usual “cheap as possible 2nd hand” approach! At the minute I’m looking at the following:

YT First Love
    Saracen Amplitude CR2
    NS Metropolis 2 (not sure if this is worth the extra money over the 3 but it looks much nicer!)
    Identiti P66 Comp

So far the YT seems best value for money but not sure, what are the “Division” parts such as the hubs, rims etc like? or would I be better off building up from parts like the NS Sub frame? Any other suggestions are welcomed, as are offers of your bargain 2nd hand bikes in almost new condition 🙂

I basically want something that’s like my old Blender but maybe slightly lower standover, bit steeper HA and shorter chainstay.

rocketman
    Free Member

Quite happy with the Metropolis it’s tough enough for me. Have changed the bars & pedals for the Jungle versions but otherwise it’s standard. DJ fork is stiff and the adjuster actually does something.

_tom_
    Free Member

Which version of the Met is that? Looks very nice 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

Cheers Tom it’s a 2012 Metropolis 2

Got it from Chain Reaction last year IIRC it was £450 and I think it’s great value. I wouldn’t say it was worth the £800 RRP but NS haven’t cut any corners the details are great and so far with my limited abilities it’s holding up well

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’d go dartmoor quinnie –

More “modern” geo, like the NS, higher bb/shorter chainstat. Had a go on a friends cody (high end quinnie), rode a treat. Could almost spin as quick as my BMX but loads more stable when it came to leaving the ground.

The YT is a little more old scholl in its geo, good for massive jump stability, but no doubt not as fun as an NS or dartmoor.

I’m in/was in a similar dilemma to yourself, tried out a sunday 24″, had the effect i wanted, felt just like a BMX, but was far more chilled in the air. But once i had ridden it, got stoke levels up, jumped on my BMX, the BMX felt like home. I think BMX is worth sticking with, as long as you can accept there is a transition time between big bikes and little bikes where it feels alien and rubbish.

Plus if you do go the 26 route, make sure its air forks so you can actually get them hard enough, nothing worse than going for a massive pump and nowt happens.

_tom_
    Free Member

That quinnie looks really good, think they’re pretty expensive though?

Interesting about the bmx thing with you, I definitely prefer 20″ for ramps and stuff but I only really ride my bmx on jumps now as I tend to get too annoyed with kids and their lack of park etiquette! Not sure what I’m gonna do, I need to have a back to back test with my bmx and a 26″ DJ bike I think.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘26" DJ hardtails, what's good at the minute?’ is closed to new replies.