Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • 25 years (and a day) ago today…
  • Holmesey
    Free Member

Hi Darcy, you have a great way with words.
    I also had a similar experience at 16- mine on bloody bonfire night, which took some time to become a ‘good night out’ again, but I’ve managed.
    Your Life 2.0 comment is spot on, as is your gentle advice for others to make the most of what they’ve got.
    I still get the lump in the throat 26 years and a bit on, but only every once in a while. Wedding 2 years ago was a tough one, as I made a point of talking about him.
    Anyway, he was also a v popular guy and that made me do the growing up too quick thing. Education fell to pieces and I went through a fairly rough patch. Mates, exercise, talking and a bit of beer all made it easier to bear.

After a spell in the Army, mainly blowing thing up as a bomb disposal officer, i ended up running professional firework displays as a hobby. never really made the connection, but I’m sure there’s something cathartic about that.

As with all these things, whether it’s the loss of a partner, parent or friend (or even getting your bike nicked) time is a healer and I hope you’re doing well now,

all the best, Holmesey.

Life is short, so make it broad.

iDave
    Free Member

great post DD

my old man is 80 this year, I still don’t know that much about him outside the obvious family stuff as I left home at 17 to plough my own furrow

dreading the inevitable

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

🙂

Cheers iDave

noteeth
    Free Member

Beautifully written, DD. Smashing post.

Derek Mahon wrote a few lines (‘Leaves’) that I’ve always found to be resonant – even if nothing can ever really compensate for personal loss.

Somewhere in the heaven
    Of lost futures
    The lives we might have lived
    Have found their own fulfilment

Oh, and… JLS. 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘25 years (and a day) ago today…’ is closed to new replies.