Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 2.5 ardents on Crest rims (29er)
  • dday

I have run these Ardents on my SS, including PDS & SDW. But my FS has Stans Crest rims. I get them on no problem, but am I getting the best out of the tires profile on these rims?

Would I be better off with 2.2 or similar? I have a 2.1 Purgatory in the shed, wondering if I should pop that on the back, leave the big ardent on the front. (Afan this weekend..)

robarnold
    Free Member

That’s a massive mismatch. 2.5s on Crests will lead to them folding like a flan in a cupboard, I’d be running 2.3 absolute maximum (depending on tyre brand) on Crests as they’re a very slim rim designed predominantly for xc tyres

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Dampf 2.35 on my crests protects them somewhat as the sidewalls are stiff, but must be close to the limit.

dday

Thanks. Might go back to the 2.2f and 2.1 rear.

Dyffers
    Free Member

As usual there’s a difference between what the manufacturer and physics dicates is the maximum tyre width for a particular rim. You won’t die putting 2.5s on Crests (I didn’t with 2.4s). But it sounds like you’re already running the 2.5s/Crest combi, so have you decided you don’t like it?

STATO
    Free Member

Depends dosnt it, im a fat oaf so would have to run them at higher pressures to stop them folding over on anything resembling a corner. Did try some 2.5 schwalbes on 355s when bikepacking once, that was better as higher pressure was required anyway and the extra volume was welcome after the 3rd full days riding.

dday

Its not that I don’t like it (they are great tires) but I am (mildly) concerned that a) I might be stressing the rim b) I am not really getting the full benefit from the tire profile.

Not an issue on the usual hack, but heading to a trailcenter where it might be more noticeable.

Northwind

Crests are still reasonably wide tbh. I’ve been happily running a 2.5 26er Nevegal on an Olympic for a while with absolutely zero ill effects, it’s got a nicer shape on my flows but it’s not that big a difference really.

STATO
    Free Member

b) I am not really getting the full benefit from the tire profile.

Probably not, but the only way to fix that is to run a wider rim.

The question should be; is what you have now better than your alternative tire on that rim?

and the answer is… i have no idea 😆

Cheezpleez

Crests aren’t that narrow. I – and thousands of others – used to run 2.35 tyres on Mavic 317s, which are much narrower. Not ideal but I never had any problems.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘2.5 ardents on Crest rims (29er)’ is closed to new replies.