Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 24×38 or 22×36 ??
  • sch222
    Free Member

I have a 2012 Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29. It comes standard with 24×38 chain rings, I would like to switch to the 22×36 set up, but I can not find out if this combination is available from Specialized or another manufacturer.

Any thoughts ?

GW
    Free Member

22 & 23T rings are readily available to buy aftermarket, Shimano Deore would be my choice (based on price, durability and shifting performance)

cp

36 tooth deore rings are widely available too.. they should fit if its a 4-bolt ring, widely available and cheap way to see if the ratios suit.

Neil-S
    Free Member

There’s a Saint 36T too if you want to save a bit of weight over Deore.

njee20
    Free Member

Have you not got a weird BCD though? Think those S2200 chainsets are 80/120, like all the SRAM doubles. You’ll need new cranks.

cy

SRAM are doing 22/36 on some of their doubles this year, so ring Fisher Outdoor and see if they’re doing replacement ‘rings. Says here that X-9 has 22/36 as an option:

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-x9-10-speed-crankset

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Why would you want to change? Assuming you have a 2×10 setup, you can get an 11-36 cassette. The 24/36 lowest gear is the same as 22/34 on a 2×9 and is as low as you can go without falling off. 24-38 plus 11-36 is probably the perfect combo for all riding

njee20
    Free Member

Think that’s a standard BCD though, you won’t get a 22t ring on an 80mm BCD spider. May get away with a new spider, not sure if it’s replaceable. Probably easiest to flog and buy an SLX or something.

deviant
    Free Member

Shimano do the 22/36 combo.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘24×38 or 22×36 ??’ is closed to new replies.