Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 24inch rear wheels?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone use one in conjunction with a big tyre, like a 24×3.0" rear wheel?

Contemplating it on the 456……………

brant
    Free Member

Here and here

neil853
    Free Member

how do they ride? i tried it on a downhill bike years ago and lets say its did not work

brant
    Free Member

The Inbred seemed interesting. The piggy seems ok. But not ridden it in anger yet.

Limy
    Free Member

Cant see why it wouldn't work as long as the frame has the clearance. I use to use 24" wheels and 3" gazzers on my Evil Imperial HT for downhill.

Only problem I found was that unless you used a slightly wider than normal rim ie Sunn Doublewide then the tyres wouldn't seat prop and wheel looked as if it was buckled. Ive got 4, 24"x3" gazzers sat in garage if you want any.

RealMan
    Free Member

retro83
    Free Member

RealMan – Member

Nice! 🙂
    what is that gubbins from the front seatpost to the stem? Steering damper?

RealMan
    Free Member

what is that gubbins from the front seatpost to the stem? Steering damper?

Two of them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It's for a switchbacks holliday, fancy manking the bike as 'core as possible without resorting to going full sus, at this rate buying a pitch and selling the 456 would be cheeper!

Front will (probably) be pikes, mavic en321 rim, minion 2.5 DHF DPC ST.

Might give it a go on ebay and see how it feels. Limy, I'll drop you a mail if I pick up a suitable rim.

Trimix
    Free Member

A smaller wheel will find it harder to rollover big bumps. Im not sure what advantage you want, but I cant see any, especially if you only have one small wheel an one large wheel.

Both will even out the pros and cons of each other. Its half a dozen of one and six of the other really.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Why bother surely a 2.5 High Roller will fit on the back. Mate that to a 321 or if your feeling scared a 325 and you will be fine. If I went to the alps on my 456 the only thing I might change are the rotor sizes. In fact I would feel quite happy using it one day to tow the kids around the park and the next day riding it down an alp in its current/only/permanent build.

dropoff

Was doing this quite a while ago. Works really well on some hardtails.

thomthumb
    Free Member

2.5 minion f definatley fits in the rear of my 456. rode it st foy this year – ace.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A smaller wheel will find it harder to rollover big bumps

Yes, but………..

26" is a ~22" rim with a 2" tyre (22+2+2=26)

24" is a 20" rim with a 2" tyre (20+2+2=24)

Make is a 3" tyre and its a 26" wheel with a 3" wide tyre.

All without raisng the BB and steepening the angles.

cookeaa

It’ll just turn your nimble flicky HT into a useless Barge, I’ve used 3” and 2.7” X 24” tyres before, they are Heavy, make your steering Vague and are no Grippier and don’t really improve bump absorption that significantly.
    They generally ruin any bike they are fitted to the front or rear of – best avoided, the only people who ignore the massive downsides to these tyres and persevere despite their obvious flaws are meat heads who think there’s some sort of aesthetic to tractor tyres on a push bike (With the exception of proper Snow tyres perhaps)…

Sensibly sized 24” tyres (2” – 2.2”) can slightly lighten and lower a HT and make it more flickable, with the obvious drawback being a harsher ride over roots and rocks…

To be honest if you find riding a HT a bit harsh maybe it’s time for some bounce perhaps? Personally I reckon the rougher ride when going DH on a HT is part of their charm…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘24inch rear wheels?’ is closed to new replies.