Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 24hrs in KL, what should I do?
  • Travis

I've got a clear 24 hours free time in Kuala Lumpar, any suggestions as what I should do?

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I was going to suggest a tour of the Campbells Soup factory but then I realised that you aren't in Kings Lynn!

BB

peteimpreza

Are you in to cooking? Go to a market and get some spices and stuff.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Go up the Petronas Towers, not been their myself but know a few people who have, and they enjoyed it.

konabunny
    Free Member

1) Go to Petronas Towers – you may as well, it's free and it's pretty interesting. Huge mall but upper end so not many bargains.

2) Go to Jalan Bukit Bintang (has monorail). Eat Chinese dinner outside on Jalan Alor, have drinks on Changkat Bukit Bintang. Get massage at any of the many, many shopfront places on Jalan Bukit Bintang – they're not dodgy although the ones upstairs etc probably are. If you have women in your group, hit Bukit Bintang Plaza/Sungei Wang Plaza – lots of cheap clothes. Not so good for men's stuff, though.

3) Use monorail and not cabs where possible. It actually works and is not just a novelty, unlike most monorails!

4) Mosque at Masjid Jamek is nice enough and right by the monorail. Gatehouse dude is exceptionally friendly and will give you a druidic cloak to wear if you're wearing shorts or are female. But nothing astonishing if you've seen mosques before. National Mosque/Masjid Negara – didn't get to see anything there 'cos I arrived late. Looks pretty big though.

5) Chinatown for all your pirate DVD needs – but actually, who cares any more?

6) Read the local paper – the Star is an English-language paper that you can find in most places. It's not a foreigners' paper – in fact, I believe it's owned by the Chinese Businessmen's Association (or something), and is mostly for a local audience, which is what makes it interesting.

Where are you on your way to? Is this a cheapie Air Asia flight to Oz?

Enjoy it – Malaysians were very (obsessively!) friendly in our experience and we thought it was a really nice place, would consider living there in fact…

allthegear
    Free Member

Campbells soup factory is closed now. May I suggest the KL museum instead? They have a wooden version of stone henge…

cove123

The sea life centre thing near the towers(across the park) which is nice, there is a hotel with a roof bar/Pool and glass booths that stick out of the side of the building a touch un-nerving drinking your Tiger beer in one of them..even better at night with a Thunderstorm going on above our head…

thehustler
    Free Member

KL tower is also good as has a 360 degree viewing platform, also although its not actually taller than the petronas it is higher as set on a hill

shiny
    Free Member

I would recommend:
    Kl Tower (menara tower)
    Cocktail at the skybar on roof of traders hotel opposite petronas – dont bother with trying to go up twin towers – unless you want a 6am queue and a crap view compare to above.

Go to petaling street (china town)
    Food at Haka near petronas
    Then drinks at Changkat Bukit Bintang – little havanas, bar 21 etc.
    For Breakfast ry to have Nasi Lemak or Roti Cani – both superb
    Plaze Low Yat and Sunghei One are good for electronics and just mental experiences, jalan alor near Bukit Bintang is good for food.

If you fancy a jungle ride at the weekend – give me shout = can lend you a bike and take you on the local trails i ride every week.

My malaysia mobi is 0173521669.
    cheers
    Shiny
    p.s. been here 3.5 years and love it!!!

bruneep

set up camp in the Airport and pretend you're a stranded tourist.

peteimpreza

shiny I will be over there in for a couple of weeks over the UK summer. I might just give you a call.

Travis

I'm doing an ISO 9001:2008 Lead Auditors course.
    It finishes on the Friday, and I'm leaving on Sunday am.

I live in Beijing, and have lived in China for 7 years, I'll give the Chinese food a miss (but appreciate the advice though)

Even drinks on top of traders, and a ride in the Jungle sounds perfect to me.

Shiny I'm 5"7, ride a M size MTB, do you have one that could fit?

Cheers

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Got to eat here if you like steak….

Best NZ steak I've eaten and for not alot of wonga!

Can second the cocktails in the Traders idea aswell… pricey, but the view by the open top pool is very cool!

Thomo.

shiny
    Free Member

yep – got an 18" hummer and a dw spot – you can choose, keep my number and e-mail and get in touch nearer the time.

pete – same for you – i am unfortunately returning to uk around 116th july for month but here before and after that so no problem.

Suzys corner is superb – good advice!

cheers
    shiny

peteimpreza

cheers shiny!!

Travis

cool, do I need to bring my SPD pedals?
    Anything you want from Beijing?

Travis

Whats a 'hummer'? thought that was a really bad girl one once had….

she was a 'hummer'

konabunny
    Free Member

I live in Beijing, and have lived in China for 7 years, I'll give the Chinese food a miss (but appreciate the advice though)

Yeah, the food, cheap clothes, massage and pirate DVDs are probably no big attraction in that case!

shiny
    Free Member

Cove Hummer!
    Unless you use time atac's you will need your pedals and shoes or flats if you have them, mail me direct about your dates so I can check I am here,

Not been to Beijing yet, so have no idea about what you could bring!

Cheers
    Shiny

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘24hrs in KL, what should I do?’ is closed to new replies.