Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 24hr old curry….
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Had it last night but couldn’t finish it all (too many pops) so I got it to take away. It spent the night in my car and then driving around with me today – do you think it will be OK to eat tonight? Will I die or feel like I’m dying?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah it’ll be fine.

Let us know you’re ok tomorrow though eh?

cp

yeah. the flavour will have developed

Saccades
    Free Member

I once bought 3 curries on a friday night, ate one as soon as I got home.

On the saturday I went camping in the lake district with some mates. I cooked curry #2 (well reheated) on the fire dinner time of the wednesday and #3 that evening.

No ill effects at all – well, except the cool box still has a pale red “tidemark” at the bottom where the curry oozed out because I’d stacked beer on top.

sweepy
    Free Member

the curry will taste better, dont go near the rice tho’ more people get salmonella from rice than chicken.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course it will you big jessie.

It’ll last a good few days out of the fridge, easy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Unless it’s been pretty warm in the car I’d scoff it (after a thorough re-heat).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Do you know why curry is made the way it is? And were it originates?

It’ll be FINE!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just place it on top of the engine (still in container) on your drive home. Saves on microwave costs.

nickc

Don’t eat the chicken or the rice.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

No rice – just loads of curry

chvck
    Free Member

Now I want curry 🙁

cp

me too! Inspired for me dinner I thinks 🙂

nickc

Don’t eat the chicken, then

lowey

They always taste better after a day or two.

Drac

more people get salmonella from rice than chicken.

You can’t get salmonella from rice unless something infected it.

firestarter
    Free Member

our det once cooked a curry in a bv (its airtight when shut) and before we dished out we were bugged out. we totally forgot about said curry and only remembered when we were turning the wagon round about a week later . we ate it and it was lovely , seemed to have devoloped more heat tho but very nice and no ill effects 😉

chvck
    Free Member

You can’t get salmonella from rice unless something infected it.

No, but you can get food poisoning due to Bacillus Cereus spores which can be in rice and spread a load toxins when the rice cools. That said, I reheat rice pretty often anyway

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Yep, it’s rice thats the killer.

Essentially, curry is a well boiled stock, with well cooked meats, in a sauce which has a number of herbs and spices to both mask any taint, and also may work as anti oxidants.

but you know, I’ve eaten a lot of food which sould be “safe” or tastes fine, but I never “enjoy” it, despite the theory its ok.

Owning a £800 mountain bike puts me economically to the point where if I had a curry I didn’t fancy because of “worry” about it’s health, then all the debate and positive posts on a forum wouldn’t allow me to “enjoy” it, so as I could afford to “bin” it, I would.

donsimon
    Free Member

We used to have a curry at home which took three days to cook. Cook it, cool it, let it stand for 24 hrs, repeat.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, but you can get food poisoning due to Bacillus Cereus spores which can be in rice and spread a load toxins when the rice cools.

I asked an Indian friend about this, thinking she should know about rice (she liked to cook too) since I’d heard of something bad that could happen to ride. She said there was nothing to worry about with it unless it started to smell rancid, and even then there were dishes that you could still make.

Btw the thing about curry masking off meat is wrong. I know, I’ve tried it. Nothing masks that flavour! 😥

Drac

No, but you can get food poisoning due to Bacillus Cereus spores which can be in rice and spread a load toxins when the rice cools. That said, I reheat rice pretty often anyway

That’ll be botulism then which is the one of the biggest causes of food poisoning, fried rice often being the cause if it hasn’t been cooled down quick enough before reheating.

IdleJon

I’ve heard that reheating rice can cause food poisoning. Is this true?
    It’s true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it’s not actually the reheating that’s the problem – it’s the way the rice has been stored before reheating.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won’t get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It’s best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn’t possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating

From http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamcooking/

sweepy
    Free Member

I knew it was something to do with the rice

harley
    Free Member

christ! get it down you man!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Job done – tasted goooooooooooooood! Mmmmmmm.

🙂

mudpup
    Free Member

Still alive??????????????
    Or out of the bog yet?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘24hr old curry….’ is closed to new replies.