Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2.4 tyre on the rear 2.2 on the front, tell me why I shouldn't?
  • Leadfold

My rear tyre gets far more grief than my front. I can’t remember ever pinch flatting a front tyre and as I run tubeless/stans fluid in both, they are equally immune to thorns. So unconventionally I am thinking of going 2.2 on the front 2.4 on the back. I don’t want to go 2.4 all round as A. they are heavier and B. I would have to buy another 2.4.

I run Continental Trail Kings. I put my calipers on both tyre sizes (inflated on my Flow EX rims). The 2.4s are less than 3mm wider, but about 7mm deeper. So grip-wise the two sizes must be more or less identical, but the larger one gives you 7mm more air to go through before you mash the rim. The wise (and not so wise) thoughts of the forum appreciated.

breadcrumb

I run more pressure in the rear, so even with matching tyres I have more air to squish before rock meets rim.

Also the wider tyre with more volume should grip better- I’d rather the front of my bike don’t wash out before the rear.

ahwiles
    Free Member

give it a go, if it works for you then it works.

robfury
    Free Member

Not a problem on in my eyes. When do you ever see a motorbike with a fatter front tyre than back

kerley
    Free Member

When do you ever see a motorbike with a fatter front tyre than back

That may be something to do with having 100 horsepower rather than 0.25 horsepower amongst other things.

I too am more concerned with front wheel lateral grip on a bicycle.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m about to do exactly the same on my hardtail. To quote STW Barney, ‘the front is writing cheques that the back can’t cash’

tpbiker
    Free Member

as above i know which one i’d want to wash out first, and it isnt the front

why not just put more air in the rear?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Grip decreases with increased pressure.

ajt123
    Free Member

Hmmmn, am doing that more or less at the moment – have a 2.4 NN on the back and a 2.3 Hutchinson Squale on the front. Schwalbe is a ‘big’ 2.4, whereas the Hutchinson is pretty much standard size.

I haven’t been too happy with it to be honest and will be putting my Michelin Gripr on for the winter and then going back to Hans Dampf come next summer. The front has wash out a few times on me, I miss the extra grip of a big tyre.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2.4 tyre on the rear 2.2 on the front, tell me why I shouldn't?’ is closed to new replies.