Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 24″ rear
  • thomasraelburke
    Free Member

saw someone using a 24″ rear on a hardtail, 26″ up front and it looked pretty sweet. anyone else try this setup im thinking about it for my freeride hardtail… what pro riders use this setup, cons disadvantages etc.

alpin
    Free Member

i have thought about this. doing the same on the alpine. thought it might be a bit more of a slog up hill but more flickery on the down.

don’t quite a few jump bikes come with 24″…?

would be interested to know if anyone has tried it…

mccett
    Free Member

No-one uses it any more. A naff trend imported from the US in about 1999/2000 which saw small wheels on the back of huge DH rigs with a 26 up front or, for the terminally short…24s front and rear with 3″ tyres.

Had to endure all the groms in the Alps coming out on holiday with that set up and wondering why they kept flatting in rock sections and their bike handled like a canal boat.

Best avoided. Bit like 29ers.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

haha would it not be faster and stronger though? with the 26 in the front helping you get over those roots n rocks.

brant
    Free Member

29 front, 24 rear. It’s the future.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

yeah now that would be slack!

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

its a jump frame im turning into a more freeride setup. so was thinking if i put a 26 in the front it would help getting over obstacles. keeping a 24 in the rear would keep it easier for tricks getting air etc basically has anyone done this

dropoff

What like this then ? Contrary to some opinions the 24″ back end is still alive and kicking (ass).

ourmaninthenorth

A naff trend imported from the US in about 1999/2000

Older than that. Some Kleins came like that about 10 years before.

akira

Cannondale did a model as well, The Beast of the East I think it was called.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

so dropoff i take it thats your bike its nice, how does it handle with the 24 rear, what do you use it for freeride dh etc. have you tried it with a 26 also? i think they mean as with wheels like that!

dropoff

Hi Mate. yes it’s my bike it’s used for everything but primarily for going downhill (quickly) In that pic it has a Nokian 3″ tyre on and the cushioning is great without lugging a full suss around. Here it is with 26″ back wheel.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

class ive just bought all the parts i need…cant wait! having switchable 24 26 is appealing aswell. i think im gonna need a better paying job haha

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cant imagine a 24″ rear and large tyre is better in any way than a full sus, or in fact much lighter.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

dont think its meant to be better or lighter but would provide more cusioning on a hardtail, in comparison with a 26 wheel and smaller tyre.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Naturally, I was just commenting on dropoffs comments about lugging a FS about – i.e. a full sus can be as light as a hardtail with a monster bit of rubber at the rear.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

right you are i would presume although i dont have a fs but i have had those 3″ nokian before and they were pretty heavy. good though!

muddy_fox
    Free Member

24″ front and rear for me

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

i primarily use 24s for dj and such they are much easier to fling about i find, but when i take that bike on more of a freeride ride say, they can get stuck up on some of the slower technical parts, reckon with the 24 26 up front i can have the best of both worlds or at least thats the theory.

dropoff

Coffeeking, I never meant to suggest that it was lighter than a full suss ! it’s just different and all of the gravity works to push it down the hill. If you’ve never ridden a bike such as this you should give it a go. thats if you enjoy your downhills. Oh and the 24″ back end is also very flickable on the skinnies 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nope, never ridden a bike like that – would like to give it a try at some point, alas I cant justify the expense!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

my Demo 9 had 26/24

it was flippin LOVELY

the wife’s Big Hit has 26/24 (you can’t fit a 26 in the back of them anyway)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘24″ rear’ is closed to new replies.