• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by v10.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 24 inch wheels for a 9 year old
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Any ideas? Happy to build something up, something jumpy and cool not racy.

Thanks
    J

sputnik
    Free Member

Halo's?

joolsburger
    Free Member

sorry I should have said a bike with 24 inch wheels

BlobOnAStick

I've just been doing the 24 inch wheel thing for my son's 9th birthday.

I've stuck him on a number of 24 inch wheeled bikes, including the Specialized Hotrock, but I've been somewhat disappointed with all of them. The hotrock only offered about 2" of growth before the seatpost would have been on maximum, which I thought was a bit too little.

He has been riding my 26ich wheeled Genesis whenever he can and does a fairly good job of it, so I've decided to go for a small adult 26" wheeled bike instead. I found the Cube Kid260 online for about £300, so that's what's waiting for him come his birthday.

Unfortunately I can't comment on how it fits him currently as his birthday is next week! The Cube website says that it's for kids who are from 140cm tall, which he just about fits (although he's not especially tall for his age).

Hope this helps,

Ben

(Edit: of course you may really need a 24" wheel, so of those that I've seen I thought the Speccy Hotrock and the Gary Fisher Precalibre were best. Also, the On-One site has a case study of a lad riding a 14" Inbred with 26" wheels….)

tinribz
    Free Member

Here is my 'short' list:

Pinacle twentyfour – 26.4Lbs – £220
    Gary Fisher Precaliber – 27Lbs – £220
    Cube kid 240 – 28!Lbs – £230
    Specialized Hot Rock – 27.3Lbs – £240
    Kona Hula – ? – £240
    islabikes beinn 24 – 22.6Lbs – £250
    Marin Hidden Canyon – 24Lbs – £270
    Specialized Hotrock A1 FS – 24.5Lbs – £300
    Scott Scale JR 24 – 22.31Lbs – £329

Don't take all that as gospel. The Beinn is winning at the moment based on weight and price, although it is a rigid fork. Another good reason is their resale value.

An alternative I considered was a cheap jump frame some of which take 24" or 26" wheels (e.g. plan B static?). Did wonder if a 14" 456 would too with disks.

v10
    Free Member

2010 Giant XTC JR Team 24 is also worth a look.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘24 inch wheels for a 9 year old’ is closed to new replies.