Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 24 hours in the Lake District
  • refomokm
    Free Member

I’m heading up to the Lakes for an evening, night and then full day’s riding in a week. I know the area well (I lived there for 10 years and have been up most the mountains), but that was before I mountain biked. I was wondering firstly if anybody had any route suggestions, and secondly – how far can I expect to go in a day? I’m reasonably fit with adequate technical skills, and am planning to go up and down quite a lot.

I was thinking of using this route from Pooley Bridge to Patterdale, then up to Helvellyn from Glenridding, down to Grisedale Tarn, up to Fairfield, down to Rydal, across to the Coast to Coast, cross the Langdales to the top of Rossett Gill (possibly by going down the Langdale Combe pass and back up Rossett Gill), then follow that bridleway to Styhead Tarn and down into Seathwaite. I’d then head to Keswick, where I’m being picked up, either down the road or over High Spy and Maiden Moor (dropping off the ridge before Catbells because of the walkers!) Thoughts? Cheers 🙂

TomB

When? Lots of snow and ice on the high fells currently. That is a huge day out, hope you’re feeling fit!

jekkyl

yeah getting up helvellyn will kill you but worth it and then you’ve still got a shed load to ride. Lots of carbs, lots of cake etc time on your side and you should be fine. Great route planned, you lucky devil have fun, hope you get clear views on the summits.

refomokm
    Free Member

When? Lots of snow and ice on the high fells currently. That is a huge day out, hope you’re feeling fit!

Hmmm. That’s good to know. I think it’s going to be about a fortnight from now, so hopefully it will have warmed up a bit, or I’ll just go down to a trail centre or do some low level stuff.

It is big, but I’ll be camping, so hopefully can crack off a few miles the evening before, then get up early and have 10 hours riding. I might have to cut it short though!

refomokm
    Free Member

yeah getting up helvellyn will kill you but worth it and then you’ve still got a shed load to ride. Lots of carbs, lots of cake etc time on your side and you should be fine. Great route planned, you lucky devil have fun, hope you get clear views on the summits.

I’m really excited about the downhill to Rydal, it goes on forever! The 5 mile uphill to Helvellyn, less so, but I’ve run it before and it’s ok

parkedtiger
    Free Member

That is a huge day out, hope you’re feeling fit!

Agreed – that is a big day out !

I’d miss out Fairfield (it’s an okay descent but not the best), head off Helvellyn either down to Swirls or to Wythburn Church, around Thirlmere, up over by Harrop and Blea Tarns, and down to Rosthwaite. You could then head up Langstrath, Stake Pass, right to Angle Tarn, Styhead, etc.

But that’s still a long ride !

Sanny
    Free Member

That, sir, is my kind of ride. 😀

I would reckon that you are looking at about an hour for the carry up onto Fairfield. The descent along the ridge is outstandingly good fun. I rode it in the snow in December on a blinder of a day. It’s 100% cheeky but as with most lakes riding, politeness and a smile goes a very long way.

I rode from Ambleside to Keswick last October. Round Loughrigg then up the valley beneath Langdale Pikes carrying up Rossett for the descent down to Seathwaite. It’s another classic descent. However, we then rode and then carried up onto High Spy before dropping down and along the Cat Bells ridge. Another cracking fun descent with a couple of short carry downs. Sorry but I’ve no experience of riding high up on the Langdales but would be keen for info on that one. Interested to know what route the coast to coast takes? As for time, I reckon you are looking at the thick end of a 15 hour day. Ambleside to Keswick took us around 8 to 9 hours though we were taking lots of pics and had a bike failure part way through. I would budget about 2 – 3 hours to ride from Pooley Bridge to Glenridding if you are going at a reasonable pace. Helvellyn? Hmmm. It all depends on fitness but budget 2 to 2.5 hours for the ascent. Ambleside to Seathwaite would be 4 to 5 hours if you followed the route we took then about 45 mins back to Keswick unless you add in some more off road such as High Spy. The latter adds a good 3 to 4 hours as it will be the end of the day and you will be getting tired.

I really like the sound of your route. I’m planning something similar – Scafell, Helvellyn and Skiddaw as a single loop day ride.

Start in Ambleside – up Rossett then carry onto the first peak, down the bridleway, back road to Keswick, up Skiddaw, down the cheeky trails :wink:, old Coach Road up onto Helvellyn and then Fairfield to finish. We’ll go out as men and come back husks from that adventure! 😀 I’d love to add on the other 3000 foot peak but it is a potential ball ache to get between Scaffell and Scafell Pike.

Sanny
    Free Member

10 hours? Phew! That’s a fast pace to do your whole route in 10 hours!!!!!!!!!!! Fair play if you can do it that quickly though. I reckon that solo without faffing for stops, pics etc I would have managed the route we did a good hour or more quicker. Even if you do it in 6, that’s going to be a really big ask to do Ullswater, Helvellyn and Fairfield in 4 hours. Running it would possibly be a different matter though……….. 😀 As for the time of year, I’d be taking lights for sure.

refomokm
    Free Member

Sanny – your Ambleside to Seathwaite route sounds like it might be better than mine, I was just keen to find a way to avoid the Langdale valley having run down it countless times! I can’t quite look at it in the same way after running down it at 1am and stumbling over all those sheep… My plan was to take the bridleway and road from Rydal to Grasmere, where I’d pick up the Coast to Coast bridleway at Easedale. This goes up the valley and up onto Greenup Edge, which is just north of High Raise, then ride to High Raise and either take the faint path to Angle Tarn (I couldn’t find this on Google Earth so have assumed it won’t be a fun ride…) or hike-a-bike to Pike of Stickle (not to the summit, it’s a pointless scramble) then descend from there. Which side of the Fairfield horseshoe do you reckon is a better descent? From my memory of it, the west ridge seemed more rideable.

Your route sounds epic!

jekkyl

Sanny – I’m planning something similar – Scafell, Helvellyn and Skiddaw as a single loop day ride.

Start in Ambleside – up Rossett then carry onto the first peak, down the bridleway, back road to Keswick

Do you mean the bridleway that takes you up Rossett Pike and then past angle tarn to eventually bring you out at seathwaite, then up borrowdale to keswick, so not actually going up Scafell? (pike or otherwise) was going to say if approaching scafell from that side you’ll have to traverse a shed load of rocks and the view/descent might not be worth the PITA ascent.

refomokm
    Free Member

I won’t be able to do the whole route in ten hours. I think I’d be getting to the hills around 5am, maybe do the leg to Patterdale that day then find a place to pitch a tent on the way up to Helvellyn. It’s looking like I’ll have to cut the High Spy bit out – another time perhaps…

Sanny
    Free Member

Oh and when you do it, a full report with pics please! I love these kind of ambitious rides. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but they are by far the most memorable rides you can do, I reckon.

As for Fairfield, we had a hoot on the descent in December. The top section is a gradual flowy descent with a couple of rises which then goes progressively into steep, fun mode. A nice mix of slow speed tech with some scope for giving it the beans higher up.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Jekyll

The plan is Scaffell Pike from Rossett, perhaps via the corridor route? I’ve resigned myself to a hike a bike up and down. To do both, I reckon I’d have to approach from Wasdale and be prepared for several hours of carrying. The route in between is the real bugger!

Cheers

Sanny

PS I now feel not quite so slow given that the OP doesn’t expect to do the whole route in 10 hours. 😀

refomokm
    Free Member

I’ll try my best – I might be too distracted riding to take too many photos! Yep, that sounds about what I was thinking – I remember walking it last year and thinking how fun it would be to ride…

jekkyl

I love the lakes, I think we are so lucky when you look at the rest of England to have this little corner which is jam packed with mountains and lakes, it’s an amazing place and I love visiting it every single time.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

The plan is Scaffell Pike from Rossett, perhaps via the corridor route? I’ve resigned myself to a hike a bike up and down. To do both, I reckon I’d have to approach from Wasdale and be prepared for several hours of carrying.

Hi Sanny – there’s certainly less carrying if you head up Scafell Pike from Esk Hause via Broad Crag – maybe the last 20 minutes is a carry (approx). The Corridor Route is all carry from the stretcher box at StyHead Tarn.

Sanny
    Free Member

Cheers for that Parkedtiger. I wasn’t sure about the corridor route. A 20 minute carry up and 20 back down is a lot less than I expected so happy days!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘24 hours in the Lake District’ is closed to new replies.