Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 24 Hour World Championship
  • andrewh
    Free Member

A shameless plug for my blog but what the heck, my race report is now up
    http://www.andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk
    A pity I couldn’t do Relentless, but not a good idea a week after a 24 the other side of the World. Fort Bill will be hosting the Worlds next year, then off to Weaverville in California for 2015. Anyone here fancy a road trip?

qwerty
    Free Member

Great pictures, those dusty trails……………. 😯

RIP Kane.

wwaswas

lying in a strong second place when he had a pretty big crash and dislocated his shoulder. He lost about 15 minutes before he managed to get it back into it’s socket and carry on

respect.

and to you OP – good write up and well done on the race.

andrewh
    Free Member

Cheers guys.
    If anyone wants to hear the shoulder story in his own words it’s here
    http://www.corywallace.com/ Makes my slightly sore feet look a bit rubbish by comparison…

pete68
    Free Member

Nice write up .Thanks for that. What are the dates for next year then and is it open to normal riders or just “elite” riders?

Dogsby

We did the Scott 25 at Stromlo the week before and had a great time; a well run race with a great atmosphere and some excellent trails. We attended a talk by Jason English the Thursday before the race which was very interesting and he clearly did well again.

Did they have Skyline and Luge on your lap? An excellent bit of trail and well worth the climb up.

Dogsby

DaveBro
    Free Member

Followed the UK riders: Matt Page, Kim Hurst and yourself in particular through the WEMBA site, you seemed to come through the field in the later 1/3 so well done!

Do you know if you have to qualify for next years event – or is it like 12/24hrs of Exposure = solo only, but anyone can enter?

spook48
    Free Member

Entries will open on 31st December via http://www.nofussevents.co.uk or http://www.wembo.au.com
    There is no need to qualify but the event will be open solo’s only

Duggan

Very interesting read, cheers!

andrewh
    Free Member

Skyline and the top half of Luge were both in it Dogsby, a very similar course to the Scott. Skyline in particular was excellent, my favourite bit of the whole course, even though I was loosing time to the good descenders down there, I was only overtaking people on the climbs. How did you get on in the team race?
    The event will be Oct 11/12 next year in Fort Bill. It is solos only, and 24hr only, no 12hr option like at Exposure. As Spook says there is no formal qualification, just enter and have a go. However, it seems to be a fairly self-selecting bunch who turn up, none of the type you get at the likes of Mayhem who come along to drink beer and occasionally go for a bit of a ride round, it’s more like the guys we get at Exposure who take it pretty seriously. It’s still a fantastic atmosphere though, it should definately be on everyone’s ‘to do’ list.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nice one, need to get back up there and have a ride!

cakefest
    Free Member

Can anyone enter the WEMBO Worlds 24 hr solo event?

Do I need to have done a 24 solo before?

richpips
    Free Member

Can anyone enter the WEMBO Worlds 24 hr solo event?

Do I need to have done a 24 solo before?

Spook says yes ^^^^^

I’d suggest doing one in summer first though.

andrewh
    Free Member

As Rich and Spook say, yes you can.
    Whether it’s a good idea to do it as your first is another question…
    having said that, there was a Brazilian guy here this year and it was his first and he got 2nd in his age group!
    I did my first World Champs in 2010 and that was only my second 24,click on the link above and go to international events if you want to read about it. I just did because I thought ‘how many other chances am I going to get to do a world champs? This one was my seventh solo 24,eigth if you count a road one, and it went a lot better,it takes a while to get used to them.
    My advice is go for it,but do something like 24/12 or the Puffer if you are feeling brave, first. Are you a complete novice or have you done well at long races before, say Keilder or Torq 12.12? If you are fit enough to ride 10 or 12hrs you can do 24,it’s all mental beyond that point but practice will help, a 24 is a lot more than twice as hard as a 12hr.

andrewh
    Free Member

A follow up post in case anyone is interested http://andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/eating-for-24-hours.html
    It’s winter and I therefore have very little else to write about for a few months so I’m having to milk this race for ideas…
    You still considering having a go Cakefest? Feel free to PM me if you need any advice, or just ask on here if you want the STW collective wisdom.

pete68
    Free Member

Seems a bit of an odd date for it . I’m sure they’d get more entries if it was being held in the summer. I know that there are other events then but there must be room somewhere.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the post, enjoyed reading your blog

andrewh
    Free Member

Cheers DT.
    Yes, I thought it was an odd date too. I assume they have chosen it because it is after the peak midge season and also when Relentless usually is (is that still happening next year, maybe the week before/after? The Scott 25hr, not a typo, was the weekend before the Worlds this year, that was for the teams and pairs) It would make more sense to have it in June, I know you can never guarentee Scottish weather but it is a little more likely to be sunny and having 23hrs of daylight would be a bit unique among the big 24hr races.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘24 Hour World Championship’ is closed to new replies.