Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 24 hour race – pits, kit and general tips for solo rider
  • rooney
    Free Member

I have my lists but need to compare.
    Small van and looking at a pop up gazebo with sides and a pit crew 🙂 are starters. Not got the gazebo yet

rooney
    Free Member

Bump

atlaz
    Free Member

Probably the same as anything. Be prepared. Make sure your food/bottles are ready to go so there’s no faffing looking in bags and have some variation. 24 hours of just eating one thing will make you want to top yourself. Likewise lay out any spares, lights etc you’ll need. Lots of fresh clothing too.

Specific tips for a 24hr I can’t really help with.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Dont make it too comfy or you will not want to leave.

SirHC

– Decent pegs and straps for tying the gazebo down (screw in pegs are very good)
    – Consider a ground sheet for the gazebo, keeps everything dry
    – Lighting (rechargeable strip lights, etc)
    – Bike stand
    – Bike washing facilities

trail_rat
    Free Member

keep yer pit crew happy with a comfy warm gazebo ,

dont enter said gazebo your self or you wont leave 😉

benji
    Free Member

Guessing you are riding relentless at the end of the month, plenty of batteries for lights and all your riding clothes, so no matter what the weather chucks up you are covered.

rooney
    Free Member

Yep relentless next weekend 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

Chamois cream. Loads of. You’ll chafe to buggery if it’s wet. Especially once you get grit in your shorts.

richpips
    Free Member

Don’t get your arse wet in the first place.

DO. NOT. SLEEP

epicyclo

wanmankylung – Member
    Dont make it too comfy or you will not want to leave.

I was trying to find a way to say this but that says it better.

Basically set up with minimal comfort and nowhere to sleep (or you will).

However if you have a pit crew, then they will need comforts – they have a most unpleasant job, at least you get to ride. 🙂

My provisional kit for the ‘Puffer this year is a folding chair, an insulated box to stop my drinks freezing, and an umbrella. Last year I made the mistake of sitting in my car for a minute, next thing I knew it was a few hours later, big mistake. You feel like crap after a sleep like that, you’re better off crawling round the circuit with your bike on your back than sleeping IMO 🙂

Have a small tool box for quick repairs. You can take a big one with all your tools, but you really don’t want to be raking around in through a pile of tools when you just want to do something basic, so it’s easier to find it in the small box.

Every minute you save by not being in the pits is like being a little bit faster.

Get a foolproof way for quick battery changes.

And as richpips says DO. NOT. SLEEP

Good luck.

richpips
    Free Member

Have a small tool box for quick repairs. You can take a big one with all your tools, but you really don’t want to be raking around in through a pile of tools when you just want to do something basic, so it’s easier to find it in the small box.

Or you could ride home and sort your bike if you were close eh. 😉

epicyclo

richpips – Member
    Or you could ride home and sort your bike if you were close eh.

That’s only when I have to build another bike… 🙂

stewart4444
    Free Member

not long now
    did I read somewhere you can charge lights there?
    will it be via a standard 3 pin socket or Via USB?

jontykint
    Free Member

Don’t listen to the DO NOT SLEEP messages!
    If you are in it to win it, then, no you can’t sleep. or go for a crap, because you’ll get beat.
    A sleep is fine IF you have the willpower to get up.
    Don’t get in a sleeping bag, preferably sleep in your biking gear, (good time to change into fresh stuff.)
    Set an alarm for an hour or 2.
    And then get up and get on your bike.

Practice by commuting to work on a pushbike if you are able.
    If you can get up at 5/6am and get on a bike that you have to pick up from next to a nice warm van during the working week you can do it during a race.

richpips
    Free Member

did I read somewhere you can charge lights there?
    will it be via a standard 3 pin socket or Via USB?

Exposure will be there for charging lights. If you’ve not got Exposure lights, bring your own charger.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘24 hour race – pits, kit and general tips for solo rider’ is closed to new replies.