Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 24 hour natural trail ride………..anyone
  • ton

a fair few folks on here seem to be doing 24 hour events.
    and i for one would love to do one.
    anyone ever done a natural trail ride for 24 hours, somewhere like the dales, or ny moors would be good.
    cafes, pubs or shops for feeding.

anyone be up for it?

5thElefant
    Free Member

You’d go a very long way in 24 hours.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I have a 170km route lined up from my house. Planning on doing it next midsummer solstice (busy this year)

ton

plent of scope for going a long way in the dales/ny moors.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

depends on the 24 hrs and the terrain very much how far you can get. Strathpuffer I did 60 odd miles and it took everything I have, I have also done 60 odd miles offroad in east lothian in 9 hrs. 100 miles of proper offroad might be a decent target in 24 hrs for normal human beings. Be much tougher without the support you get at 24 hr races

wwaswas

SDW double in a day (210ish miles) is a popular choice, albeit not straight out your door one unless you’re in the South

gazc
    Free Member

off road C2C? (whitehaven – robin hoods bay)

wbss
    Free Member

is the sdw not a bit gash? Not that you’d want to be riding free-huck lines continuously for 24 hrs.

miketually
    Free Member

There was an article in the mag a while back where Dave rode his local trails for 24 hours. Can’t remember if he finished or not.

100 miles of proper offroad might be a decent target in 24 hrs for normal human beings.

Depends how you define proper off-road. If you include man-made trails and “fireroad”, you should be able to do far more than 100 miles in 24 hours – 100 miles at Kielder and Newcastleton took me half that.

wwaswas

is the sdw not a bit gash

I think after 200+ miles anythings a challenge for most people (although the Tour Divide leader is averaging 212 miles a day and has another 2000 miles to go).

The SDW isn’t technical but it’s a challenge for most people to ride it one way in a day as it’s pretty much all off road and there’s 12000ft of climbing.

ton

i have got 2 loops highlighted on a couple of maps.
    1 is a 120 mile loop in the dales, with 3 cafes, 5 pubs and a few shops on route.
    the other is a old polaris 1 day special route. 100 miles, with a few little routes to add along the way. 2 cafes, 3 pubs and a allnight garage along the route.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve been pondering doing the Sustrans C2C in a day, but am put off my the faff of getting to the start and home from the finish. But, Sustrans have the W2W route, that can be ridden East to West and passes within a few miles of my house.

So, a home-to-coast-to-coast-to-home route is there and might be doable in 24 hours… Not proper off-road though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d survive 5 pubs stops even by taxi.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes.
    Definitaly up for it.

😀

Dave
    Free Member

I managed 16 hours before the weather became too miserable not to head home. Next time I’m doing it on a different weekend to Mayhem ;o)

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

No way if fish pie is involved

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘24 hour natural trail ride………..anyone’ is closed to new replies.