Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 2.35″. Too fat for a Mavic x717 disc rim?
  • kamen-rider
    Free Member

As title. Looking to put highrollers on these rims, either 2.1″ or preferably 2.35″. Will there be problems of it rolling off the side of the rim? The wheels will be fitted to an Inbred. Thanks.

james
    Free Member

About the limit I’d think (So long as its a maxxis 2.35″ as they’re comparivetely small)

They’re pretty close in volume to Bontrager ACX 2.2″s and mine run okay (So long as the tyre pressure is kept quite high) on XC717 rims

I’ve not run my 2.35″ hgih rollers on my XC717 rim though

juan
    Free Member

No

martyntr
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.4 NN on my 717 and have had no issues for nearly a year now.

nickc

It’ll be fine. I run 2.4 mountain King on 717 rims with no issues at all.

boxelder

What James said. They’ll start to go if pressures are down and/or you push them.

Northwind

I’ve been using Nevegal 2.35s on mine on and off through the winter, works a charm even with fairly low pressures. The tyre’s a wee bit pinched so you lose some volume, that’s about it for drawbacks in my experience. And that’s kenda sizes, which actually are as big as they say on the tyres 🙂

kamen-rider
    Free Member

thanks everyone, but just to clarify,

james: how high do you mean when you say “So long as the tyre pressure is kept quite high) on XC717 rims”?

Northwind: how low do you mean when you say “works a charm even with fairly low pressures”?

for comparison I used to run highroller on a mavic 219 rim at 45-50psi for another HT that did a bit of drop and jumps – all beginner level.

simon1975

Kenda Bluegroove 2.35 has been fine on my front 717 at all pressures – 25-50psi no problems, and it’s a really flexible (soft) bead on those.

dale
    Free Member

have run 2.35 high rollers and 2.35 ACX 30-40psi on rocky terrain no problem

simondbarnes

There may not be a safety issue but wide tyres feel awful on narrow rims.

forge197
    Free Member

717 is designed up to 2.1 but I run a 2.35 High Roller on a 717 for my Alfine, I used to on my other geared bikes, but found when pushing hard on the trails that I just didn’t have 100% confidence in the setup. When I ran the same bike with a wider rim the difference was marked.

edd

I’ve been running 2.35″ Kenda’s on my 717 Disc rims for ages.

There may not be a safety issue but wide tyres feel awful on narrow rims.
    Really?

james
    Free Member

Come to think of it I have ran my 2.35″ HRs on my XC717 rim (contrary to what I said before). At lower pressures they do feel a bit rubbish on the narrow rims, they squirm about a bit when cornering a bit harder

I ran mine at around 40-45psi (on the rear) and they were fine, but mostly to keep the rolling resistance down on the back with 15.5st. on top of them

nickc

but wide tyres feel awful on narrow rims.

Not in my experience

smiffy

There may not be a safety issue but wide tyres feel awful on narrow rims

Not where I live

Northwind

Northwind: how low do you mean when you say “works a charm even with fairly low pressures”?

One of the comments people make about wide tyres on narrow rims is that they’ll roll off the rim at low pressures… I’ve run the nevegal/blue groove combo as low as 25psi (for snow and ice) and they worked a charm.

Oh, worth mentioning- sure, Mavic’s website etc all says they’re only good for up to 2.1, but the wheel itself has printed on it that it’ll do 2.3 as long you don’t exceed, I think it’s 50psi. No issue there really for most of us.

uplink
    Free Member

I run a 2.35 High Roller on a 717 without any issues – 30[ish] psi too

a 2.35 High roller is only 2.2 anyway

twohats
    Free Member

I’ve run 2.5 tyres on 717s in the Alps with no problems.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im ditching my 717 for an EN521, seems to be able to take up to 2.5s without issue. Ok they are a bit heavier, but my 717 is pretty tired. Used panaracer rampage on it but it does roll about on the rim a bit.

boxelder

I find they roll slightly when cornering, meaning the tyre doesn’t grip as designed, meaning you can’t corner as well as with ‘recommended’ tyre/rim combos. They’re also more prone to pinch punctures, as the narrow rim is supported less by the sidewall. not dangerous, just personal pref I suppose. Depends where and how you ride.

martyntr
    Free Member

but wide tyres feel awful on narrow rims.

Not in my experience

Same here…. never had a problem in 4-5 years with 717’s and big volume tyres, in slatey mid wales conditions..

BlingBling
    Free Member

Squirmtastic!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘2.35″. Too fat for a Mavic x717 disc rim?’ is closed to new replies.