Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • 23 tonnes of rubbish left on Brighton beach last weekend
  • mdb
    Free Member

Incredible

As a local resident i don’t actually go to Brighton beach anymore on sunny weekends because it’s crazy busy. Much nicer beaches if you know where to go. But as a local resident i have to pay for its clean-up. I guess part of the cost of living somewhere popular, but still a real blood boiler.

No easy solution i guess, obviously people can’t get their heads around using a bin or god forbid taking it home.

damo2576
    Free Member

Ditto. Depressing.

TheBrick
    Free Member

“The beaches looked like landfill sites. They [the beach goers] wouldn’t do this to their own streets and their own back gardens.”

That probably not true.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was there on Saturday and tbh honest I didn’t think the beach was that crowded, certainly not as much as it appears to be in the link 😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

what did you drop ernie?

avdave2

Another Brighton resident here but I look at it in a more positive way, thousands more tons of rubbish gets up of it’s fat useless arse at the end of the day and heads back to London. 🙂

Quick edit: obviously this does not include ernie above,I have no idea where he lives. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I didn’t drop anything Al, didn’t even go on the beach – just cycled along the top 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Similar thing here in That London’s City of Westminster. Some events require an insane clear up.

Oddly, though, the Olympic road events appear to have been very, very clean, in litter terms, all things considered.

seavers
    Free Member

They [the beach goers] wouldn’t do this to their own streets and their own back gardens.

How does he know? (Ollie Sykes), plenty of people seem to think it’s OK to chuck their shit where ever they deem appropriate. It seems to me he is making the assumption that the beach goers only drop litter on a day out. Sad thing is they prob just don’t care where they drop it…as soon as it leaves their hand it is no longer their responsibility. Gives people jobs etc bla bla!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Boo. I was hoping for at least “my trousers”…”a few clangers”… 😀

Am thinking of a day trip to Brighton when next in the smoke (end Sept)…any must-do tips from the locals?

MSP

But as a local resident i have to pay for its clean-up. I guess part of the cost of living somewhere popular

I suspect the benefit to the local economy of tourism far exceeds the cost of clearing up after them.

mdb
    Free Member

I didn’t see the beach myself so no idea if it did look like landfill or not. Here’s an “after” photo

P.S – the local Evening Argus paper love their “shock” headlines. Check out this Facebook page for a laugh

seavers
    Free Member

I suspect the benefit to the local economy of tourism far exceeds the cost of clearing up after them.

Possibly true…but if the people who find it acceptable to drop litter had a sudden burst of social responsibility and used a bin or took their rubbish home the benefit to the local economy would be increased.

mdb
    Free Member

Absolutely correct but doesn’t make it right to drop litter. I guess its a “cost of doing business” which the council will probably put onto local businesses thru higher rates etc.

avdave2

any must-do tips from the locals?

Take your bloody litter home with you!

seavers
    Free Member

Boo. I was hoping for at least “my trousers”…”a few clangers”…

don’t get it…..nice dig though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mdb – Member

I didn’t see the beach myself so no idea if it did look like landfill or not.

Well this was the beach at about midday on Saturday :

Really not that busy eh ?

footflaps

Same happens in Cambridge every weekend in the main Parks. Massive influx of young European students on 3 months language courses, who just drop their empty food / drink containers on the grass. There’s also a few messy locals, but they are in the minority in this case.

mdb
    Free Member

Really not that busy eh ?

Yep not very busy.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

im not sure there is that much cost involved in clearing party waste up…. i went on a visit to a mrf site recently and the guy who managed it told me it ran at a 6 figure profit. he was selling mixed plastic for £200 per tonne. even paper is getting close to £100 per tonne a scrap value. alu cans? god knows, probably £1500 per tonne.
    how much does a litter picker cost? community service lot aren’t they?

matt_outandabout

We got a ton or so from Loch Tay a couple of weeks back, 6 canoes piled with rubbish over a couple of days:

It is unexplainable that people want to come and camp/fish/stay in such a lovely place, but happily dump everything they have (including complete tents and kit that you buy too cheap in Argos etc) when they leave.
    Loch Lomond:

Lubnaig:

In season, between us and another local outdoor centres and lochshore locals, we clean up an industrial bin or so a week from ‘wild camp’ locations.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i would like to point out after my previous post that i in no way condone litter, in fact i abhor it, and regularly pick up other peoples and have a go at people who drop it. i was merely pointing out that waste pays for its own collection these days.

cynic-al
    Free Member

seavers…i was responding to Ernie.

tazzymtb

i was merely pointing out that waste pays for its own collection these days.

very much depends on the costs of building and running MRF’s MBT-AD plants IVC’s etc.. a lot of processes that are supposed to be fairly green such as biogas generation from MBT/AD and In Vessel Composting are running poorly and certainly not as designed. The most cost effective thing is to just sort and bale waste at transfer loading stations, but again if you look at the full process including shipping and transport of the product being sold, it’s certainly no where as rosey and profitable as made out.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Its a shitty shingle beach. Why do people go there? The town isn’t much better. (it is better than Hastings though!)

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

We get litter on Bournemouth/Poole beaches too, but not in the same quantities as Brighton.

Not sure why, maybe people feel more guilty about leaving rubbish on a proper sandy beach. Alternatively, maybe it’s because we get far fewer filthy Laaaarndarners.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Him in the middle looks a bit fed up !

Can you get gravy on your chips in Bighton ?

nick1962
    Free Member

Was at Camunsary beach on Skye recently and was genuinely shocked by the amount of rubbish on the beach there.Not from backpackers,walkers or cyclists but from fishing boats.

CountZero

You find the damnedest things just dumped in the countryside; or perhaps it just fell out of someone’s rucksack…

NZCol

I had a slight red mist moment a month or so back , walking along the front and a bloke sitting fishing chucked his pie wrappers on the ground. I picked them up and went back saying “Hello you seem to have indavertantly dropped these”. He told me t F off so i shoved them in his mouth ! Probably could have been assault really but he was a bit stunned mullet (boom tish). I cannot abide people chucking litter like that.

hels
    Free Member

Might help if there were ever any rubbish bins ! Local councils and FCS have a policy of not providing bins so much any more, as that means they have to empty them. Not saying that excuses this, but might help alleviate the problem.

wwaswas

Brighton beach tends to be busier at midnight than midday on a summers weekend and that picture was taken near dawn so that’s a night’s worth of chip wrappers plus a few of the bewildered and left behind drunks we’re seeing.

yossarian
    Free Member

Where I live the local shops won’t give plastic bags out on the weekends and during certain events you can’t buy any booze in glass bottles, cans and plastic only.

If you live in Brighton and don’t like it then do something about it. It’s your city after all.

IHN

Might help if there were ever any rubbish bins ! Local councils and FCS have a policy of not providing bins so much any more, as that means they have to empty them.

”Brighton and Hove City Council said despite installing 60 extra litter bins the beachfront was left covered with rubbish.

It has also employed 20 extra seasonal staff to cope with the increase in litter.”

Anyway, no bin = no excuse. Keep hold of it until you find one, or take it home.

Dropping litter really REALLY boils my pi$$ 😡

globalti
    Free Member

One reason whey I fell out of love with trail centres on my first visit was the dozens of plastic power drink bottles thrown down beside the trail.

Still, I guess trail centres do fulfil a useful function if they keep litter-bugs out of the countryside proper.

FuzzyWuzzy

The typical British tourist is something to be ashamed of sadly. I was in a picturesque Cotswold village last weekend and a rough looking couple (yeah sue me for stereotyping :p ) with a baby fed the ducks and then unbelievably just dropped the plastic bread bag in the river.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tip No1:

Stay away from Tourists.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Brighton beach tends to be busier at midnight than midday on a summers weekend

Which suggests that it’s more likely to be local residents rather than day trippers, does it not ?

hels
    Free Member

IHN – I read the story, was referring to the Highland locals with their rural clean-ups with my comment about bins. (duhuh)

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

On Sunday the beach was busy all the way to the Marina in Kemptown and between the piers – you couldn’t see the shingle for all the pink/burnt red flesh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘23 tonnes of rubbish left on Brighton beach last weekend’ is closed to new replies.