Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 2.25″ Maxxis Advantage as a front tyre for ‘dryer’ conditions – views please?
  • Vortexracing

I have a set of Maxxis Crossmarks as my dry weather tyres at the moment, back seems ok (2.1) front is a 2.25 and TBH I find it a bit hairy at times, even worse if damp.

I’ve been looking at the Advantage 2.25 60a as an alternative for the front. fast rolling but with a bit more grip/bite

anybody use them and what do you think?

they will be run tubeless BTW

ta

Dave

timraven

Running mine tubeless on the front and enjoy it immensely, loads of grip with little rolling resistance.

Enjoy

Vortexracing

Cheers

bent_udder
    Free Member

Running tubed 2.25s on both my main bikes at the moment – FS and singlespeed. Nice and grippy and fast rolling. Definitely worth a punt.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I run these front and rear and am really happy with them, they roll better than the Kenda’s on my SS and have easily as much grip (possibly more in the corners)

nickc

Happy with mine, they do get a bit out of shape on the greasy stuff, but what tyre doesn’t really if you’re pushing it…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have 2.1s on my hardtail. Nothing to complain about at all.

Bazz

I’ve got 2.25 in 60a and generaly only use them for trail centres or rocky/ hard terrain on my local route which is mostly woodsy riding i don’t find them nearly as good.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I really don’t like the advantage on the front to be honest. prefer a high roller.

Vortexracing

Already got high rollers on some other wheels as general everyday sort of tyre.42a front and 60a rear.

I was looking for a dry tyre combo. It’s just the crossmark on the front I have no confidence in.

My HR’s, which is 42a admittedly, is hardly fast rolling. i assume your referring to a 60a HR paulosoxo?

mccett
    Free Member

Advantages get vote here all the time with just a change to Larsen rear for rocky places/dry days. Great tyre, used at Strathpuffer too and still performed great in mud/snow etc.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Yeah, I have 2 x 60’s on the commy, and an advantage rear and a HR60 front on the hardtail, all single ply 2.1’s

Having a bigger 2.1 on the back looks slightly strange though 🙂

knott4me
    Free Member

run advantage 2.4 on the front & 2.25 both 60a really stick well in the dry not that bad on wet rock either tbh.

conering ability is immense compared to contis i have been using,pushing it in the bends the tyre sits nice & tight & doesn,t flex fold or give like either contis or panaracers tend to do.good value too ont tinter web.

james
    Free Member

What rims do you have?
    My XM719s aren’t wide enough really as they sit very round on the rims, especially bad at higher pressures as they never seem to be able to using the side tread

Running tubed is a bit more diffcult with normal tubes as most tubes, even continental ones that say they go upto 2.5″ are nowhere near the volume size when first inflating. They have to do a lot of stretching to fill the tyre. So you need loads of pressure to ward of pinch flats on stretched ‘normal’ tubes

hora
    Free Member

Ive got a 2.25 advantage 60′ thrown in as part of my frame purchase. Was thinking of running on the rear instead of my swampthing (draggy now!). It feels quite heavy though for a 2.25 dont you think?!! (single ply)

Vortexracing

I thought they are around 635g which is no diferent to other maxxis 2.2/2.3 tyres IMO.

James, I’m using XM719 rims ghetto tubeless.

glenh
    Free Member

For ‘dryer’ conditions, I’d probably go for an Ardent rather than an Advatage. Both good though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘2.25″ Maxxis Advantage as a front tyre for ‘dryer’ conditions – views please?’ is closed to new replies.