Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 20mm maxle problems, advice needed.
  • psycorp
    Free Member

I have a new set (3 weeks old) of Lyrik solo air forks. A week or so ago I noticed side to side play in the front wheel. naturally I thought the bearings were knackered in my 3 month old wheel, so a little miffed at how long they had lasted I ordered some new Enduro bearings.

Last night I thought I’d have another look at the offending wheel. I have 2 bikes with 20mm maxel lite axles and also a spare old style dual cam maxle lying around.

First I tried the wheel off the other bike, same amount of play. Then I tried the maxle lite off the other bike, still excessive play but a little less than with the original. Finally I tried the old style maxel, low and behold the play was gone. So I put the original wheel back in and took the bike out on a 10 mile ride just to make sure and it was still fine when I got home.

To me this suggests that there are tolerance issues on both the fork lowers and the maxel lite. What do you guys think?

Cheers

nickjb
    Free Member

What happens if you do the maxle lite up a bit tighter? You know about the adjustment screw, right? 😆

NewRetroTom

As nickjb says check you’ve got it done up properly. I have come across friends who have misunderstood how the system works and had the same problem as you.

Instructions can be found here for your perusal: https://www.sram.com/service/rockshox/473

psycorp
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Yep I know about the grub screw. I’ve tightened it up and it doesn’t seem to affect the play in the wheel.

Northwind

I can’t really see it being tolerances, it’d have to be a pretty big difference to create that sort of play. Lyrik lowers are basically all the same so as long as it’s a lyrik axle it ought to be interchangable- I swapped my 2010 one for a more recent model after I broke the end off it by being super mega gnar. (they’re not the same as Revelation or old Pike maxles btw, might be the same as boxxer lite maxles, not sure)

I accuse the not-working maxles, or the operator

psycorp
    Free Member

Northwind

I’m quite open to admitting it’s my fault, that’s partly why I’ve posted. I’m at a loss to explain the play and the different results between the three axles.

You’re quite right in saying the Lyrik lowers are all the same, I believe they were also shared with the Domain in the early models. I completely rebuilt my other set of Lyriks last year, converting them from U-turn coil to fixed and replacing the compression and rebound dampers along with the lowers, so I’m not a total fork virgin.

I’m just a bit stuck with it atm.

Does ayone know the part number for the original dual cam 20mm maxel? I’m having trouble finding it on Sram’s website or online.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘20mm maxle problems, advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.