Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 20mm bolt through axles
  • ScottishPhil
    Free Member

Hi -I’m very new to 20mm bolt through and my Marzocchi 55’s axle is, well … pointing it’s QR-ish arm forward. There is an allen bolt in the outside cap of the QR end, but it just turns sluggishly without any bite, suggesting that isn’t the solution to re-set the QR-ish arm into the upright/aligned-with-stanction lower – help?

honourablegeorge

How old are the 55s? There’s a QR 20mm axle Marzzocchi did that ratcheted into place – but took a lot of force to get it to do so – if you keep tightening it, it will just click and move around. There’s an o-ring on the opposite side near the threads, if you remove the axle and lightly grease the o-ring, that helps it move more easily, but even still, you almost feel like you’re going to break something when getting it to move.

Mine was a 2008 fork, if I remember right, and the axle design was around for a year or two after that

rc200f8
    Free Member

If it’s like my 08 55 you just keep turning the lever to the desired position- it will click when the appropriate torque is applied

ScottishPhil
    Free Member

Okay, back out to the garage with the appropriate tools – mallet, gaffer tape, first aid box and a celebratory/commiseratory beer.

ScottishPhil
    Free Member

Very quick smiley face, thanks both – two very safe sounding ‘tangs’ and job seems a good’n.

honourablegeorge

Nice one. Surprising how much force the thing needs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘20mm bolt through axles’ is closed to new replies.