Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 176 total)
  • 2018 Specialized
  • Tracey

Abigale has just watsapped a picture of Curtis Keene’s Enduro that he is racing on at the Aspen EWS. It’s like a Cyan blue with black and multi flaked glitter over it all. She hasn’t had sight of a 150 Command post yet.

Tomthebombhole
    Free Member

New entry level alloy stumpy 29 has a 150mm travel Reba ! Who at Spesh signs off on that spec choice………

13thfloormonk

Is that good or bad? My mid-range Superfly came with a Reba, I was pretty pleased with that.

Last update on the Red Hook paintjobs, they won’t be appearing until September/October time. 🙁

I want to buy now, but don’t want to miss out on what might be an awesome paint job. Torn!

tomhoward

A super fly is a bit more of an xc bike though isn’t it? a stumpy is more trail. I’d be wanting at least a Rev, but then that adds £££

jamj1974

Do you work for SBC CFH?

Tomthebombhole
    Free Member

Reba is totally overstretched and flexy at 150mm especially with 29 wheels ! Yari wouldn’t have added any price just a little weight and would’ve been much more suitable for the stumpy

nickdavies

^ The 2018 revelation is a 35mm chassis isn’t it, rockshox have moved the rev to be like the yari is to the lyrik.
    So I would assume the Reba is the only trail option in 32mm they could use, and would essentially replace last years rev.

That red and yellow epic is stunning…

13thfloormonk

Do you work for SBC CFH?

😀

Fair enough on the Reba, I had always thought a Rev was basically a Reba with more travel, so a long travel Reba = Revelation.

Shows how much attention I pay to suspension these days!

jamj1974

Do you work for SBC CFH?

There’s obviously something I don’t know! Is CFH Ned Overwnd or Mike Sinyard?

13thfloormonk

Ha, no, my response was just because I had wondered the same, appreciate CFH’s updates on this thread but did think there was a little too much enthusiasm going on.

To be fair he’s pretty much alluded to the fact he has some industry connection going on.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No. I do not.

🙂

jamj1974

To be fair he’s pretty much alluded to the fact he has some industry connection going on.

That’s eluded my myopic eyes! 😉

So what does CFH do I wonder…?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

None of your beeswax! 😉

I do have industry history and connections, though, and I rather like most of what Specialized do. Apart from riser drops, which are a crime against humanity.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

International paperclip sales.

With a weekend job as a foot model for Hush Puppies.

13thfloormonk

Oi, riser drops saved my bacon when I stupidly neglected to check the geometry of a bike I bought online… 40mm of spacers, upright stem and it was still too low for me. Riser drops made the difference.

(in my defence I mostly bought it because it was a cheap, brightly coloured singlespeed)

RustySpanner

Flashy’s real name is Hotrock Allez-Stumpjumper. The licencing agreement has kept him in appalling plastic footwear for years.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

lives off the face mask royalty fees

jamj1974

I think he’s an international man of mystery…

RustySpanner

I’m having very bad thoughts about the Allez.

13thfloormonk

I got my local shop to weigh a 56cm Allez Elite, minus pedals, but plus bell, reflectors, plastic doofer behind cassette etc.

Came in at 9kg, and I charitably choose to believe that the weight of the bell/reflectors etc. is approximately the same as the weight of a set of Look pedals so they cancel one another out.

Think I can get that down to 8.3kg (ish, based on printed weights so probably not quite that low) spending another £750.

So now I’m looking for similar bikes which would cost £1750, weigh the same or less but still offer a similar package.

The Rose XEON GF keeps coming out top of the list, and I’m slightly more keen on the white/green/black colour scheme than I am on the Blue/orangey-red scheme of the Allez. Rose has press-fit BB unfortunately but I don’t think that’s a deal breaker any more. Rose almost certainly lighter (if printed weights are to be believed) and you get more Ultegra for your money.

Anecdotally, sounds like the Allez offers more tyre clearance, and I don’t need to wait for it to be delivered, plus I can test ride an Allez locally.

Hmmmmmmmm…..

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I reckon you could save ~400g on the wheelset straight off perhaps with a set of Novatec Jetflys or Chainreaction’s Prime wheels for either side of about £300. Add a set of decent ~220g tyres like Conti 4000s and that will be a bit more. Thats assuming the wheels on the Allez will be quite basic?

£100 on sensible, carefully spec’d finishing kit would save a bit more. Deda do stuff that is quite light at good prices. I’ve found Uno stuff on ebay fine also.

I don’t think it should cost £750 to save 700g weight on a £1k bike if you do your research.

orangeboy
    Free Member

£1 – 1gram is not that far off for weight saving , but things are improving especially at the lower end and it’s not all about spending the most.

Spesh sworks or ritchey wcs alloy stuff can be had for sensible money

13thfloormonk

Possibly don’t *need* to spend £750, but that’s for components that meet all my other various fussy criteria, for instance I really want either Fulcrum Racing 3s or Shimano RS81s as I like the bearing systems both wheelsets employ. I’d assumed a saving of 200g for the wheelset and 200g on tyres…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Also give consideration to your own weight/power when looking at wheels

oikeith

something doesn’t seem right there, it doesn’t mention a flip chip in the description but then lists a HA and a low HA but then only lists a SA, I thought flipchips impact both HA and SA?

edit: also the 11speed GX seems wrong with 12speed GX just coming out, this bike will be £5k so why the poor spec!

BoardinBob

It is listing the new 150mm command post so it feels like the 2018 spec

SirHC

The colourway which is on there website matches that of recent pictures of Graves’/Keenes’ bikes. Slight geometry changes semi confirmed? Guess crankworkx would be the logical place for any announcements.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

https://www.bellscycling.co.za/product-category/bikes/maountain/camber-trail/
    Shit hot Cambers!

I don’t think there any big changes just a dropper post and cheaper prices

Oh you the geo on the enduro changes by shock length
    ‘plus a geometry that can be “adjusted” via a shock extension with a “low/high” setting.’

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member
    sharkattack

I saw the S-Works Stumpjumper today. Exactly the same as the 2017 model from what I could tell. It’s green on black instead of red.

Oh, and it’s gone up to 8 grand. Which is nice.

SirHC

So the 2018 enduro is confirmed:
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/bike_news/2018-specialized-enduro-364050

Two things, bb is a bit high and the price is a bit strong!

cabbage84
    Free Member

Bottom bracket is 6mm lower than last years in low setting. Releasing the flip chip as a retro fit is also great news for 2017 owners

kimbers

is it still proprietry shock mount?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d heard from a pal about the E29 getting tweaked again, wasn’t sure whether to believe it or not. Turns out it’s true and the thing is still too bloody short.

Hope the flip-chip update will be free to 2017 bike owners, as Spesh have made such a balls-up of this.

is it still proprietry shock mount?

Yep

Paceman
    Free Member

I rode a demo 2017 Enduro 29 and loved it, I wouldn’t say Spesh have made a balls-up. It was the cheaper Comp model too rather than a fancy-pants one.

chakaping
    Free Member

I rode a demo 2017 Enduro 29 and loved it, I wouldn’t say Spesh have made a balls-up.

I’m riding a 2016 one and the 2017 was virtually the same. Changing a frame after one year is almost unheard of, so that’s what I meant by balls-up.

BB height is a personal thing, but my E29 was ridiculously lofty until I swapped the shock linkage for the shorter 650b one. Which is kind of what this flip chip is allowing riders to do.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I rode a demo 2017 Enduro 29 and loved it, I wouldn’t say Spesh have made a balls-up. It was the cheaper Comp model too rather than a fancy-pants one.

Chakaping up there owns one, so I’d say he’s qualified to comment. edit – he beat me to it!

I like them, apart from that daft shock mount.

joefm

I agree. Seems like changes that should have been on the 2017 model though.

Now a lot of people with the last model bike that’s only a few months old. Bound to have knocked some value off second hand prices

PJM1974
    Free Member

Are the changes in geometry solely due to the flip chip, or have they actually added material to the top tube and down tube to lengthen the front end?

If the latter, it’s no small task…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘2018 Specialized’ is closed to new replies.