Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 176 total)
  • 2018 Specialized
  • MSP

On the xl model which I compared it was no longer, had higher bb and stand over, reach was longer but I think that had been achieved by reducing the head tube hight, head angle was slacker and they added full rear carbon triangle, internal cable routing and swat cage.

Nice improvements but geometry wise not the step forward it was marketed as.

chakaping
    Free Member

I just had a look and they don’t include the BB drop on the old geometry chart but you are right the quoted BB height is now 17mm higher – when it was way too high to begin with!

What were they thinking? When they know loads of people were modding the old one with the 650b yoke to make it handle better?

sideshow
    Free Member

I for one [strike]like roman numerals[/strike] feel I could do with a higher bottom bracket on my 2015 enduro as I keep getting pedal strikes (xl size presumably has longer cranks). Not sure how I’ll achieve that, will try running the shock firmer first… could it be the debonair can is too linear?

chakaping
    Free Member

I know the E29 is supposed to be better with a standard (ie. non-debonair) shock.

Is yours the 29er or 650b Sideshow? Shorter cranks seems the obvious solution, but you can get an offset BB adaptor to adjust the BB height manually too.

sideshow
    Free Member

29er. The thing with being an XL rider is that long cranks are useful! Though I’ve only got the stock ones.

Yeah I know they ship with the standard shock. I’m going to try higher pressure because presumably that pairs quite well with more linear behaviour – firm but doesn’t get firmer. (So long as the curve doesn’t actually slope downwards once frame linkage is taken into account?!) Failing that then bung a load of volume reducers in.

Shame as I quite like the ‘sits far into travel’ feeling, it’s very planted on descents, but a pain when pedalling.

oikeith

I saw many people online who were not impressed with the revised 2017 E29 geometry, but after purchasing one and riding it, I love it, the 66HA is good in the steep, the bike is long but retains the short backend to make it playful and the 75SA means it pedals fine.

Unless I was riding DH runs allday everyday, I wouldn’t want it any slacker or longer TBH.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sideshow – I have the 2016 E29 in large with 175mm cranks and have fitted the 650b yoke – lowering the BB noticeably.

I’m only getting the odd pedal strike, but the very low BB on my other bike has probably trained me to keep the pedals up through rocks.

The standard Fox DPS shock on mine holds the bike up very well indeed and it pedals great, but with the opposite trade-off to you that it can feel unsettled on rough terrain.

You pay your money and take your choice I guess. I’d like to try it with a twin-tube shock.

chakaping
    Free Member
    MSP

I disagree that long cranks are useful, I am running 165 cranks these days, even though By old fashioned accepted wisdom I should’ve on 175 or even 180, and have found no disadvantages, and the advantages of easier spinning and less pedal strikes.

PJM1974
    Free Member

IIRC that BB won’t work with 2017 onward bikes as they’ve returned to using threaded BB shells.

But feasibly, you could take a 2016 29er, change the location of the BB (i.e. rotate it backwards so that it’s slightly closer to the rear wheel), thus shortening the chainstays and steepening the effective seat tube angle.

chakaping
    Free Member

He’s got a 2015 frame though.

sideshow
    Free Member

@chakaping now there’s a thought, I’ve still got the original fox shock, I could swap them to see whether the problem is me or the shock 🙂

@pjm I like the idea of using a funky BB to steepen seat and lengthen reach, that’s some serious nerdery there

I’m still curious to try the 650b linkage if I can get this problem sorted first.

@oikeith honestly compared to all my previous bikes the E29 is a dream whichever way I set it up! a no excuses bike that makes me ride steeper/faster and jump higher. these are seriously minor niggles 😀

medders
    Free Member

Anyone happen to have any idea when the new Epic hardtail is likely to be launched?

My LBS spesh dealer cannot get one as 2017 version is apparently no longer available apparently so I have to wait for the 2018 model. S-works version is out but that is too spendy for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Was fondling a S-works epic the other day.

Very, very yum.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m sure I read that Spec weren’t launching Mtb until autumn

MSP

Yeah, I think they tend to announce near to autumn and bikes not hit the shops till the new year.

sharkattack

I just want a new version of this since I wasn’t prepared for the surprise limited edition model which sold out in five minutes,

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Disappointing.

The Diverge looks like a contender to replace the paperclip bike. What’s the point in all that suspension to ride fire roads?

The Allez looks nice, but leave a bit of a gap between the now default ‘relaxed’ geometry and the sprint model. Why no ‘normal’ Allez?

13thfloormonk

Just saw that new Allez, actually sort of fits the bill for me, threaded BB, space for 28s (apparently) endurance geometry etc. etc.

Just waiting to see some weights, the obvious competition would be the Rose Xeon GF which claims a weight of approx 7.7kg with 105 and OEM wheels, so I’d hope the Allez was within 0.5kg of that (I wouldn’t mind the £999 model with upgraded wheels).

tails
    Free Member

What is that bike shark attack?

13thfloormonk

Fag packet maths on the road.cc comments section suggest you could get the Elite (£999) Allez down to about 8.4kg with a change of tyres. Stick some fancy wheels and select finishing kit on it and that could maybe come down to 8.2kg?

I’m out of date with road bike weights but that’s lighter than my old carbon Synapse (I think) and cheaper, and threaded BB, and space for 28mm tyres etc. etc. Not bad.

sharkattack

What is that bike shark attack?

It’s a 2017 Enduro that came out a few months ago. Limited edition with Ohlins coil fork and shock. Sold out instantly.

Hopefully there’s something like this in the 2018 range. Hopefully without the 27.5 plus tyre compatibility and a more focussed 29 specific frame.

tails
    Free Member

When did specialized stop producing the stumpjumper and enduro in 26″ guise, 2014 or earlier? Are they still decent bikes.?

mosschops
    Free Member

Anyone know when the 2018 Allez will be available in the UK?

ta

MC

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mosschops, first ones are due early ish in July, so not too long!

Different models drip feed in. Might be able to get better dates for you if you know model and size.

ElShalimo

Will there be a 2018 Sequoia ?

13thfloormonk

I’d read a press release saying Specialized were deliberately holding back until September until they released the new models?

Still trying to decide if I could get away with the Red Hook paintjob…

Edit: But Captainflashheart, since you’re in the know, what’s the ETA on a 56cm Allez Elite in the Red Hook colours? 😉

mosschops
    Free Member

Hey Cpt FH

looking at base model Allez £599 I think

Is for my son who is 5’7″ so either a 52 or 54?

Ta

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Will try and uncover dates! Nice present for the lad!

The range looks excellent. Really light, full carbon tapered fork on some (all?) and just a lovely thing.

The £999 one looks an excellent cycle to work winner. Especially as it takes full guards, so you actually COULD ride to work on it.

Or spend a bit on a pimp wheelset and have a bike better than the swathe of cheap carbon FredSleds!

antennae
    Free Member

When did specialized stop producing the stumpjumper and enduro in 26″ guise, 2014 or earlier?

2014 was the last year of 26 Stumpy 🙁 And that year’s Stumpy Evo was the best bike I’ve ever owned.

tails
    Free Member

Thanks antennae.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Details on Bikerumor and/or Road.cc

wilburt
    Free Member

Very nice what is that, S Works Allez?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

new Tarmac

tomhoward

Spec that just for you did they flashy?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

😯

**** 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had words, Tom.

tomhoward

Spesh hq never going to be short of post its and paper clips eh?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘2018 Specialized’ is closed to new replies.