Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • 2017 Road World Champs thread (spoilers)
  • slowoldman

I’m not sure Froome is ready to take a chance on not winning the next TdF by doing the Giro first. I have a suspicion the competition next year is going to stronger that this year too (providing the contenders can keep their bikes rubber side down).

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Froome has already stated he is going for a fifth TdF win. He has also said he would like a crack at the Giro so I’m guessing Tdf 2018 and if he wins that, Giro 2019.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Aha, sorry aracer, I thought you meant 3 consecutive TdF 😳

I guess it’s probably a bit easier these days with the schedule change to the Vuelta and the GC riders usually not challenging for the spring classics too. Merckx’s 72 season was crazy, wins San Remo, Liege, Giro, Tour, Lombardia and sets the hour record. Then in 73 goes on to win Vuelta and Giro, as well as Paris-Roubaix and Liege. Just mental by any standards.

I’m guessing Tdf 2018 and if he wins that, Giro 2019.

That would be my expectation. Vuelta both seasons too. Unless the Giro route this year is too tempting.

matts
    Free Member

Froome has already stated he is going for a fifth TdF win. He has also said he would like a crack at the Giro so I’m guessing Tdf 2018 and if he wins that, Giro 2019.

That’s what I was expecting as well.

kilo

Great race in the u23 men just now! 4th for GB

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just caught up with the women’s race. Great racing by the brits but there wasn’t much anyone could do about the Dutch, just unstoppable.

beej

And they’re off in the Men’s road race. Long way to go.

I’ll predict Fernando Gaviria.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tough to call. The hill was decisive in the women’s race but not that hard and a long way from the finish.

scaredypants

It’s a great course IMO but quite honestly, the differential in team sizes, sheer length of course and the relatively “easy” climb mean that somebody from a full-strength team has a 50:50 chance

… the other 50 is perfect Pete, obvz (though maybe not quite steep enough for him to ride away from a big organised team)

scaredypants

MASSIVE team GB presence at the pointy* end of the peloton

*rear 😕

(I know there’s a long way to go, and all, ..)

kilo

Ffs Eurosport

tomvet

Wtf just happened!

martinhutch

Wtf just happened!

We’ll never know. 🙂

I’m going for alien abduction of Anaphilippe.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Anyone reckon Sagan took a few laps out and rejoined when the cameras were off and noone was looking?

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think you can complain at all about the GB performance there.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Rochelle is quite easy on the eye isn’t she..

scaredypants

I don’t think you can complain at all about the GB performance there.

Agreed! I did worry when I saw 4-5 of them in the last few places at 100km though (I wondered if somebody had a flat and had been paced back on but nothing in the commentary)

scaredypants

And,

Sagan: Beast, as we all know but crafty this time around as well

aracer
    Free Member

We also know that he’s crafty, he wouldn’t have won anywhere near so much if he wasn’t. He clearly recognised that his best chance on this course was in a sprint from the remains of the bunch and simply made sure he was in that bunch when it got to the finish. Basic cycling tactics to let everybody else chase down the breaks, but hard enough to do when seeing breaks you could have got in going down the road.

scaredypants

We also know that he’s crafty

Suit yourself. I think he’s improved that vastly this year (after a mixed and probably frustrating classics season)

weeksy

Well, he did it again! He’s just an epic rider.

Him or Froome for greatest rider of the era, sheesh, I dunno.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

The world champs seem to be made for him, increased random-ness, national teams can’t put together lead out trains like a conventional team would, and he’s just the master at freelancing onto the right wheels.

Cycling needs Sagan. He’s awesome 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

7 hours on a bike, I think all of them deserve a medal..

Good to see Sags do it again, the sport needs a personality like his.

dragon
    Free Member

But gutted for the French and Analphilippe, that was a proper, well set up move and it nearly worked. I’d still prefer to see a harder course than today, it was all a bit like an end of season MSR and we’ve already have one of those.

Still Sagan what can you say, three in a row, amazing effort.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Enjoyed that, bit gutted for Alaphillipe, was really hoping he’d pop out solo on that 1k camera. Funny course really, was touted as being quite hard but didn’t really turn out that way. They could have done with a few goes up that hill from the finish of the men’s ITT.

First time anyone’s done 3 in a row I think. Tough to do with the varied courses. Surely not 4 in a row with Innsbruck next year?

Oh and regarding Rochelle, don’t know about the eyes but she’s definitely not easy on the ears. Would rather put up with Brian Smith’s inane commentary on Eurosport and that’s saying something.

kilo

Analphilippe

Probably best not to google that 😉 Beaten by a stealth edit!

brakes
    Free Member

it was all a bit like an end of season MSR

yes. dull.
    after 3 in a row, Sags should be given a permanent rainbow jersey to wear.

TiRed

Enjoyed that. Swifty did better than I expected, given him dropping off on the climb. Would have liked a Kristoff win, but you can’t argue with Sagan’s class. He’s given up attacking as he’s always chased down so sit in for 260 km for the final sprint. Sounds like my new race strategy 😉 (well for 40 km anyway)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Big mistake from some squads (thinking the likes of Gilbert, Dumoulin etc) I thought, not going absolutely eyeballs out to create a gap from 5 laps out. Risky maybe, but taking Sagan, Kristoff and Matthews to the line in a bunch resulted in a rather predictable finish.

Bergen looks stunning, must go visit at some point.

And lets hope at some point we get a Rochelle/Brian double act, then we can all leave them to it and switch to the other channel 🙂

weeksy

Big mistake from some squads (thinking the likes of Gilbert, Dumoulin etc) I thought, not going absolutely eyeballs out to create a gap from 5 laps out. Risky maybe, but taking Sagan, Kristoff and Matthews to the line in a bunch resulted in a rather predictable finish.

SOme of the riding in World Champs at times you sit and think “well, how else did you expect it to play out guys” , time and time again they either let a break go and then get miffed when others don’t work to close it down. Or indeed they do the opposite and all stay together and get stuffed by 3-4 people who can only ever win by sprinting…

I was waiting for more attacking like Alaphillipes attempt thinking that people would only ever have a chance if they attempted it, but very few did. You may as well finish 90th having had a pop and dying on your backside instead of 40th surely ?

anagallis_arvensis

I expect attacking from that sort of bunch is easier said than done!

weeksy

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    I expect attacking from that sort of bunch is easier said than done!

Well yes, of course… but a large chunk of them must have an attack in them, they do it month after month, race after race in stage racing, in the classics etc… But at the worlds, they don’t seem to have a pop.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Big mistake from some squads

Too many willing to chase and work. And you have the sometimes uneasy alliances within unfamiliar teams to contend with too. It’s a huge effort to get a gap up that climb that you’d need a good group to maintain, plenty tried but no one was going to let a good group get away. It’s a very high pace on the last few laps of a world champs and everyone has 200+ km in their legs.

Don’t think it was by any means a given that it was going to be a bunch sprint either, even Sagan said that up until about 2k to go he thought the break was away and was resigned to sprinting for 3rd place. He got lucky that there were enough in the bunch willing to chase them down.

anagallis_arvensis

Well yes, of course… but a large chunk of them must have an attack in them, they do it month after month, race after race in stage racing, in the classics etc… But at the worlds, they don’t seem to have a pop.

Most of those attacks are doomed to failure and are just to get the sponsors name on the screen. This isnt required at the worlds.

dragon
    Free Member

Remember also that squad sizes are smaller at the worlds for many compared to their trade teams.

matts
    Free Member

I’d still prefer to see a harder course than today, it was all a bit like an end of season MSR and we’ve already have one of those.

The course for next year is much harder.

It’s a huge effort to get a gap up that climb that you’d need a good group to maintain, plenty tried but no one was going to let a good group get away. It’s a very high pace on the last few laps of a world champs and everyone has 200+ km in their legs.

Indeed. That climb up salmon hill was only 1.5k. With the bunch tearing up there full throttle you’re going to need a huge attack *and* for there to be a lull in the chase to get away.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Indeed. That climb up salmon hill was only 1.5k. With the bunch tearing up there full throttle you’re going to need a huge attack *and* for there to be a lull in the chase to get away.

Which is why the strong punchy riders with no sprint needed to take a huge risk and go with a full gas glory or nothing attack with 5 or 6 laps to go. On such a short climb there was never any likelihood of making something stick in the last 3 laps when the pace was really on. There were only 4-5 teams with a realistic interest in a sprint.

Take Belgium as an example. Squad packed full of strong punchy riders, but never going to win a sprint. Stuyven wiped out in a crash with 2 to go, but why was he even still in the bunch? Perfect rider to have been sent out early. Vermote, spent 200km pulling on the front? For what? They had no sprinter. If he was going to be pulling, he could have been pulling the breakaway and making the sprinters teams chase.

aracer
    Free Member

Trentin is a decent sprinter on the QST team…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘2017 Road World Champs thread (spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.